Author Topic: Power Steering Hoses  (Read 3780 times)

70chevelle

Power Steering Hoses
« on: October 16, 2003, 06:19:48 »
Does anyone know:
1)  How many hoses are part of the power steering system.
2)  What size hose & fittings are on pressure hose
3)  Where is the most reasonable place to purchase these hoses

I have a 1970 280SL that can go about 100 miles before I need to refill the resevoir.  It is also making the lower front drivers side of the engine very messy.  Also, any tips on replacement, bleeding, etc would be appreciated
Thanks

70 Chevelle 13.7 @ 99.7
70 280 SL Silver/Black top
99 C230 Kompressor
03 Dodge Durango SLT

George Davis

Re: Power Steering Hoses
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2003, 11:40:04 »
70chevelle,

there are three hoses: high pressure from pump to steering box; low pressure return from steering box to reservoir; low pressure supply from reservoir to pump.  Only the high pressure hose has fittings, the others are just bulk hose, about 2 feet needed.  I got mine from K&K, but probably any of the usual suppliers will have them.

Replacement isn't difficult.  Taking the battery out might be helpful, but may not be absolutely necessary.  If you leave the battery in, cover the positive terminal with something nonconductive to avoid accidental sparking.  Suck out fluid, remove the return hose, loosen the upper hose clamp on the supply hose, loosen the band clamp and remove the reservoir.  No need to remove the reservoir bracket, just the tank itself.  This makes it easy to replace the short supply hose.  Best access to the high pressure hose fitting on the pump is from under the front of the car.  There is a filter in the bottom of the reservoir tank that you might consider replacing.

When all the hoses are reconnected, fill the reservoir 2/3 but leave the top off.  There is a bleed nipple on top of the steering box.  Connect a clear hose to the nipple and stick the other end into the reservoir.  Start engine, open the bleed nipple, and turn the steering back and forth lock to lock until no more bubbles come out.  Close nipple, top up fluid, button up and you're done.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual
« Last Edit: October 16, 2003, 11:42:43 by George Davis »

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
Re: Power Steering Hoses
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2003, 19:12:28 »
Hi 70chevelle,

Are you sure it is the hoses leaking and not the power steering box seals?

Bob (Brisbane,Australia)
early 250 SL, RHD
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best