Author Topic: value range for barn find  (Read 4768 times)

n/a

value range for barn find
« on: February 23, 2007, 13:42:46 »
Hi there.  this is my first post as I do not have an sl.  we do have a 69 250 (has four doors).  and a slew of other old german cars including a 1970 porsche 911b, 1972 bmw 2002s, and a 1973 bmw 2002tii (mfi).

so today a guy I know saw I was driving the vintage MB and I let it be known that my wife has issued the sale order on it, it's her daily driver and she says it's too big.

so he mentions to me that he has a 1969 230sl (with bosch mfi) that was his grandfather's.  says he needs to sell it also.  supposedly it was running when parked YEARS ago.  it's green and is a 4 speed.

assuming it's not a rust bucket and that it doesn't have a seized up engine.... any idea such an item would be worth?  he eyed up our mint 250 but I know enough that our nice running/looking MB is likely not worth near as much as his 230sl barn find.

also, how big of a crime is it to box up the mfi and do a carb conversion?  I know the that for the 2002tii it's completely unacceptable.  but I know how tricky and expensive it can be to set up  an aged mfi.

paul

Kenneth Gear

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Fairfax Station
Re: value range for barn find
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 13:52:18 »
Depending upon condition, rust, etc.. I would guess it's worth somewhere between $13,000 to $20,000.  That's assuming that it needs some work to bring it back to life and that it does not have structural rust.  However, you have to assume it's rusty and like many older cars, when they sit for long periods they rust, dry out and decay.  I wouldn't buy a car that has sat for years.

As for the fuel injection, I'm not sure why you would prefer a carb but I have never heard of anyone swapping out the fuel injection for a carb. I suppose it's possible but I would suggest that you keep it orginal.

Ken G
1971 280 SL
Silver/red
Ken G
1971 280 SL Silver/red

n/a

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 13:57:20 »
I have no carb preference.  but I know it used to be done on vintage BMW back when they were depreciating and MFI was becoming a lost art.  now days, it can bring a 15k tii down to about 5k of value.  the kicker for the kugelfischer mfi on my 73 bmw is that rebuild of the pump can take 6 months to a year and cost up to $1500 and that is just the pump.  

so some people did box up the mfi and applied webers.

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 19:46:32 »
My 280SL sat for 24 years and although it was a pain at times I was able to get the MFI up and running. If it isn't internally rusty it will probably just be gummed up. I cleaned mine off the car by forcing laquer thinner into the fuel inlet and removing the side cover, filling that with thinner and letting it sit for half an hour or so. I then took a small pick(DO NOT SCRATCH THE PISTONS)and while rotating the shaft and looking to see which pistons were stuck in the up position I would try pushing on the bottom of those pistons until they were freed up.

There are no seals on the pistons themselves believe it or not they are machined to fit so tightly that gasoline molecules cannot pass between the piston and cylinder of the injection pump.

Besides that you will need to clean the fuel tank (I highly reccomend the POR 15 brand of cleaner and sealer)and replace the fuel lines.

It isn't easy to get it running right but now that it does I havn't touched it in 5 years. I highly reccomend getting it working.

If it is solid it is a $10,000 car if not it is worth maybe $6,000 or so just for the parts. Top frame is worth about $1,700 on ebay.

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 21:33:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by fuegos100

so he mentions to me that he has a 1969 230sl
Paul,

Hi.  He has the year or model wrong.  1963-1967 = 230SL.

If he has a 1969 280SL with 4-speed manual, and it happens to be a Euro delivered car, then that's my personal favorite combination.

1969 = early 280 model without later emissions & fuel savings accessories.
Euro 280 = sportier cam profile giving a couple extra HP near redline.
Euro 280 = lower differential ratio, USA 280 got a 4.08:1 ratio!
Euro 280 = nicer looking trim package.
4-speed manual = fun!

DANGER:
1.  As you know, a mechanical fuel injection system that sits unused for years gets all gummed up and needs a $1,000 rebuild, the fuel tank replaced, fuel guage sender replaced, fuel lines replaced, electric fuel pump rebuilt, etc....
2.  Rust, rust, rust..... have a Pagoda-experienced restorer examine the car.
3.  Interior and soft top could be shot from dry rot, nasty pets, or other.
4.  If the engine has not turned over for years, take caution before turning that key!  People on this list can give lots of suggestions if you need them.

Regarding the fuel injection rebuild, there are a few really reputable shops that do this, it's not a problem, just expensive.  And the fuel injection system (adjustments & tune) is not a lost art, were all here on the other side of the computer!

We have a great Search tool, link in upper right corner of screen, if you want to search for anything in particular.

What part of the World are you in?

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 02:59:05 »
Paul,

I was in a similar boat to your self (-ish) except that I bought the car on a whim, then found out what it was worth, then found out what it would cost to get it up and running.

Have a look at this thread;

http://index.php?topic=6271

it will take you to others, but it pretty much sums up my experiences to date.

Rodd - do you think we should put that thread on the FAQ/articles lage yet as discussed earlier (assuming it's not already there!!)? Consensus was that it was a good idea. There is quite a bit of info in the attached thread, and although not tidy and neat yet, I would be happy to write it up basec on my experiences in slower time (when I get my car on the road) and then pass it to you for review/addl infof etc?

James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 10:14:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by jameshoward

Rodd - do you think we should put that thread on the FAQ/articles lage yet as discussed earlier (assuming it's not already there!!)? Consensus was that it was a good idea. There is quite a bit of info in the attached thread, and although not tidy and neat yet,....
James,

Hi.  The info on the existing Technical Articles page (http://www.sl113.org/articles/default.asp) is organized by subject.  All the material was taken from the old Yahoo! site that we "left" in 2003 to create this web site.  We wanted to ensure that info was kept, and we didn't know how to "throw" it into a forum discussion, so a couple volunteers sorted through thousands of messages to "get the good stuff" and organize it.

If you would like to break out the info from the thread in question (or any other thread!) into the same structure, then we would love to have it.

Alternativly, you could compile the info into a "Tour" thread of some kind.  If you want a sample, just use the Search tool and search for the word Tour and only search the subject, not the whole message.  We could actually convert all the Technical Articles into Tour threads!

Download Attachment: Search Sample.JPG
84.7 KB

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 10:35:14 by rwmastel »
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 15:22:51 »
Rodd,

Very clear. I'd love to do something for a first time/would-be buyer as I know the pain I'm going thru and whilst all the info is on the site in spades, it takes a while to get to know how to use it, where to find it, and which posts/'posters' to lean towards.

I will have a stab at this in slow time as I believe there is merit for those who, like me, stumble across the site whilst trying to or having just acquired a 113.
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

glennard

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 17:06:20 »
Just got a 230SL- 12000 or so VIN- that was last registered in '88.  Engine is frozen, cam has 3/16" 'coral rust ' growth on it, had an original 185 -R14 ribbed Firestone, auto, power steering.  Going to flood the engine up into the head with Mystery Oil, Motor Flush, PB Buster, WD-40, Liquid Wrench, etc. mix.  Any ideas on freeing it up?

n/a

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 08:44:26 »
I am located in austin tx.  the guy who has this car inhereted it from his grandfather who drove it into the garage one day and never drove it out again.

I used to do a good deal of my own wrenching and found it very satisfying.  but at the moment the old cars are becoming a burden so we've had second thoughts on offering on the 230/280 sl.  

my wife has strong feelings for a 190 but those have gone past our budget, and lately she's also suggested getting a porsche 356 and sticking to just the two brands (bmw,porsche).  sadly, a few years back we lived in santa cruz and we could have bought clean 230/280 sl for around 10k all day long.  those days are gone, same thing has happened to the early porsche 911.  I used to buy them locally and sell them to folks who live in rustier parts of the planet and can't find solid cars to restore.  what was once a 8-10k early 911 is now a 15-20k car.  the last one I did sell went back to germany.  strong euro = toys going back to the homeland

anyhow, we are in construction of a new home so I'm just hoping the 73 2002tii survives the build.  we have covered parking for 5 cars, just hope we have cars left to utilize that space

austinmodhouse.com/blog

rhersberger

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 18:07:15 »
Very cool house. Looks like it belongs in Dwell magazine.

Nice group of 2002s as well.

Rod Hersberger

Santa Barbara

'68 280 SL, red, tan, 4sp, two tops
'01 Jag S Type brg
'07 Cayman S Carmona red, sand beige