Author Topic: Colour change. values?  (Read 2764 times)

n/a

Colour change. values?
« on: December 18, 2006, 10:04:25 »
I have bought a 69 280SL that the wife doesn't know about. She has always commented that she likes them so I figured it might be nice to present her with it on her BIG birthday. Trouble is the colour is not to her taste being a pinkish red metallic.

So I thought I might do a full no expense spared colour change, under the arches and engine bay etc.

Would this affect the value by large amounts against a similar car in its "As factory" status.

Thanks for your thoughts

69 280SL
70 Triumph TR6
73 Jaguar E Type V12 d/h
66 Sting Ray 427

Kenneth Gear

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Fairfax Station
Re: Colour change. values?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 10:43:49 »
I suppose to a purist or someone with a high end show car, a color change would detract from the value, however, in my opinion so long as you repaint in a color that is correct and was available at the time of manufacturer, you will not dimish the value.

(Disclaimer: I own a car that underwent an exterior color change)

Ken G
1971 280 SL
Silver/red
Ken G
1971 280 SL Silver/red

harleydan

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 14:23:55 »
True value/beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.  Since it is for your wife, have her choose the color.

Danny
1970 280SL silver Euro 4 speed

paulr

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 15:09:20 »
My 1970 280 has also had a colour change from pale green / biscuit interior, to Navy ( Duncan ) blue / biscuit interior. It looks great and I wouldn't have bought it if it had been green, in fact the reason it was sprayed was because it wasn't shifting in green ( also easier to hide some of the rusty bits I suspect ). Red doesn't sell in the UK either for some reason although I know it's popular in the US.
If you are going to enjoy the car, I would have it done, but as Kgear pointed out, its probably a good idea to have it done in a correct colour. As far as value goes I would relax, it's not going to halve the cars value is it? and if you can afford a good full respray ( about £15K in the UK ), the couple of grand value hit (if there was one) shouldn't matter.
Go on..treat yourself.

paulr
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 15:10:58 by paulr »

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 18:00:42 »
Three points:
I am not a big fan of color changes when there are identifying codes that reveal what the color should have been.  

That said, I did just what you're contemplating twenty-odd years ago when I bought a long sought after M.G. TF and presented it to her on her birthday after I repainted it her favorite color.  Didn't fool her one bit! She know it was really for me!  The maker's plate clearly showed the code for the original red color.  We still have the car today and it is still blue.  The unoriginal color devalues the car among those-in-the-know by about 15-20%.

Finally, it strikes me from memories of discussions on one of these 113 forums that the color you describe may be a rather rare color.  If you can copy all of the codes from the body plate found on the ledge adjacent to the hood safety catch, the experts on this forum may be able to confirm this for you.  Who knows, your wife may be just as turned on by a rare color as one that is supposedly her favorite!

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

n/a

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 05:57:11 »
Hi Chaps

Your comments have been most helpful although I really hope it's not a rare colour because that will give me heartache. I went to view one the other day which was not cheap but happened to be exactly the same colour......The car looked better than mine in terms of general condition but ubderneath it all it was not as it seemed. All that glitters is not gold.

I'll post the codes here and would be grate full for some feed back.
thanks

69 280SL
70 Triumph TR6
73 Jaguar E Type V12 d/h
66 Sting Ray 427

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 07:03:37 »
As has been noted, except in a Concours--and only one specific to MB where they'd know such things--the condition of a car is far more important then whether the color has been changed or not.

If changed, how it was done is perhaps more important then the color used; if you don't do the engine compartment, door jambs, and dashboard--among other hidden places--a color change comes with an air of cheapness--like it wasn't done right.  Then, it would certainly have ME looking at what ELSE wasn't done right.

Of course if you don't like the color, that's another thing entirely.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid