Author Topic: Caught Speeding in your Pagoda?  (Read 5579 times)

Bearcat

Caught Speeding in your Pagoda?
« on: September 09, 2006, 09:03:18 »
I was today......110kmh in a 40km zone....Mr Policeman was not to be pacified. Had'nt give the car a blast in a while, gave it full bore out on a local road.

It was worth it!!

Kenneth Gear

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Fairfax Station
Re: Caught Speeding in your Pagoda?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 09:54:34 »
I suppose at close to three times the speed limit, the policeman didn't have much of a choice.  :)

Ken G
1971 280 SL
Silver/red
Ken G
1971 280 SL Silver/red

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 12:29:05 »
Check the 'big nut' behind the wheel  :?

68 280SL
68 280SL

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 00:20:47 »
So far I got two speeding tickets in my Pagoda, in over 50,000 km's (that's 31,000 miles) of use, each for ± 10 km / 6 miles above the speed limit. I got photographed once more going also about 10 km too fast, but never received that citation in the mail. Maybe the officer looking at the photo decided "naaah, too nice a car!"

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 03:35:35 »
Cees

Speaking of speed cameras (for which we have to thank your country[:(!]) I thought you might like this. If he'd managed to blow himself up as well, he surely would have qualified for a Darwin award... photographed in the act, and his van was fitted with a tracker.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/5320092.stm :mrgreen:
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

France

• Silver
  • Austria, Vorarlberg, Schruns
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 05:23:56 »
Naj,

The Top Gear guys call this "the squidgy organic bit."

Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Sarasota FL; Alsace France
The rule is, jam tomorrow and jam yesterday, but never jam today.
Trice
Austrian Alps
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...

dreyer635

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 06:55:03 »
If I had been cougtht in Norway at those speeds in 40km/h zone - I had lost my license for more than a year, had to pay a fine in around 4-5000£ (number is correct!) and probably get a jail sentence 2-3 months.....

Kjell Dreyer
280 SL 4 speed 69 mod.

Longtooth

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 16:56:52 »
Bearcat... next time you're in Northern California look me up.... I'll let you drive mine at up to 85-95 on our Freeway's here.  I regularly dirve 80 - 85mph whenever I'm out and about.... whether with my 113 or my wife's SL500.... though I only go to 95 mph in short spurts since there is a CHP (California Highway Patrol) around now and then.  But, hey, if you're driving, and not loaded, what'er they gonna do besides give you a ticket?.... they can't take away your licence (Irish I presume)... impound my car?... since I wouldn't be the one getting the ticket.  It might cost you soemthing like US$100 per mph over 85.... so 95'll get you about a ~$1k fine.... if your obnoxious to the arresting officer... oh... and I forgot, they may take you to the hoose-gau for "reckless driving"... but that'd just be an overnight inconvenience.

I haven't had a speeding ticket for over 15 years... going on 20 now.... scuse me while I go knock on some wood real quick... I'll be right back.

I'm back.... so when you're in our neighbor-hood look me up for a high speed spin.

Longtooth
67 250SL US #113-043-10-002163
'02 SL500 Sport

Bearcat

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 11:52:07 »
dreyer....i agree, I am very lucky to get away with the standard fine. I havent got the official fine in post and I noted the police guy hadnt his usual electronic book with him...i.e when its noted in this book it's in the system. He just had his radar gun and his paper book. He might'nt process it as  after he finished tearing strips off me gave me a wry grin and asked me was that porsche behind me egging me on...naturally i said off course sir! The last time I was stopped was in a 911 C4S doing 170 k/mh in a 100 zone doing to work at 5 in the morning...2 cops were clocking off duty, they had no speed gun but could have done me for dangerous driving....( on an empty motorway I add), they just wanted to go home and were porsche enthuasists. All they said was ease off Capt Schummacher!! Then I get caught in Pagoda. I got rid of the 911 as the sports seats were a disaster...terribly uncomfortable. My daily driver now is a Landrover defender 90 diesel would you believe. I got fed up of my cars being damaged in company car parks. Any one who hits the landie comes off worse...its highly modified with different intercoolers, ecu remaps, turbo mods...which makes it a suprising motorway devil...yet when your doing 120k/mh it feels it.

Longtooth...thanks. (i fly aircraft with a shamrock on the tail for a living and expect to be on the USA runs next year)...

Happy days...[

Download Attachment: fleet.jpg
34.96 KB
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 12:06:16 by Bearcat »

Longtooth

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 03:54:37 »
Bearcat... shamrock tail,... when you fly into SFO and have a layover, I'm serious.... you'll love I280 --- from SF to San Jose -- ~60 miles worth ---  wide and fast, little traffic.... we'll have to figure out how you can get in touch with me though.  psmith on this site has my particulars... phone number, e-mail address.  If you contact him he can provide you with my private info thru private e-mail channels.

Unfortunately, the CHP aren't very forgiving these days, but if you get a ticket you can claim you're a foreigner (have your passport handy) and probably get off with just a speeding ticket (as opposed to reckless driving... which is just one step removed from drunk driving... and in the latter case it's off to the hoose-gau (?sp) for sure.. no telling if you'd make your return flight under that circumstance).

Longtooth
'02 SL500 Sport

Bearcat

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 04:42:23 »
Longtooth, one speeding fine is enough!  . I would genuinely be delighted to take up your offer....California is pagoda heaven. Here is piddles rain a lot so my baby stays a lot in my dehumidied garage to save it from the dreaded rust you guys are so fortunate not to have. Rgds

France

• Silver
  • Austria, Vorarlberg, Schruns
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 06:39:37 »
Hi Guys,

This ex-SF area/Sonoma denizen has memories of racing down I-280--always almost empty, as Longtooth says.  A beautiful road indeed--just don't try that on 101, or you will see the hoosegau, and I suspect the origin of that word is Irish.

Trice
Sarasota FL; Alsace France
The rule is, jam tomorrow and jam yesterday, but never jam today.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 06:40:47 by France »
Trice
Austrian Alps
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...

LFrank

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 10:24:56 »
Take the 280 to the 101 hit the 5 and head South (all the way): "Hoosegow" is an Anglicization of Mexican Spanish juzgao, a variant of juzgado, which also means 'jail'.

(I keep a "Get Out Of Jail Free" card in my wallet -- tried it once & got a "warning")

LFrank
Washington DC
65 230 sl - auto
DB334/Hellblau

Longtooth

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2006, 01:14:12 »
I don't recommend I5 (notice I didn't callit "the" 5.. subtle difference between SoCAL and NorCAL speak... among other things I won't go into).  Reason is that there are too many CHP's on it in the left lane... and too many trucks in the right lane.... and just when you think you've got a clear left lane for that 100mph sprint, an SUV or local yokal in their '61 Chevy pick-up with bald tires traveling 5mph faster than the trucks (70mph trucks) pulls out to pass a line of 10 trucks, and by the time this SUV or picker pick-up get's around the trucks and finally pulls back into the right lane, a 1/4 mile ahead, a truck going 72 mph pulls out to pass another line of trucks that are only going 70... and so it goes all the way to the Grapevine... then the CHP's prowling big time... all the way to the top and all the way back down... nice drive going down into San Fernando Valley though.... if it weren't for the CHP that's a 150mph driver's heaven... 4-5 lanes wide in each direction, smooth asphalt, smooth swooping curves, nicely banked... traffic then becomes spread out and the fast cars stay in the left and the slow ones at least 1 lane to the right most of the time.... but the CHP's pretty heavy along there for good reason... speed nirvana, and finally all the way into Pasadena where the traffic comes to a stop/go crawl for the next 20 miles 'til you get to Anaheim (Disneyland) or maybe even Irvine, before traffic picks up again.

I'll say this about LA and SoCal driving though... with the excemption of getting thru LA on either side of it, they like 80-85 as pretty standard fare.... bumper to bumper (almost) and the SoCal drivers have some semblance of driving discipline.... a survival induced form, since driving 85 mph with one car length's clearance to the car in front of you has a tendancy to keep all drivers pretty much in-line without creating any dumbo surprises.  I think Nascar learned how to draft by watching LA drivers.  Reminds me of my driving in GErmany... fast cars on the left, anybody slower on the right... don't pull out without checking in your rear-view mirror for any oncoming cars up to a km or 2 behind that are moving up fast. Driving Discipline for high speed driving.

Anyway, if you like to drive fast, don't use I5.... the CHP will give you a reckless driving ticket if caught going over 85... and up to 85 you'll just get a whopping ticket ... what is it?  $10/mile over the limit or something... is it $20/mph over the limit?  Whatever... too many of 'em and too many trucks leaving the left lane open to the "enforcement" drivers who pin the needle on 70 mph with their cruise-control and there you sit waiting for a gap in the trucks in the right lane so you can pass the "enforcer" types.

101 South, south of King City all the way to Paseo Robles is also a beauty of a high speed drive... little traffic on that segment, great smooth asphalt much of the way... very few trucks, beautiful driving for high speeds... but alas, the CHP's on the prowl there too, so I can't recommend going over 80-85 max... and slowing down to 70-75 when you see a black-white going the opposite direction on the other side of the road... 'cause bet your bippy, they'll turn around as soon as they're out of your site and come on to you like you were standing still... and tell you they clocked you going 90mph... so you'll settle for the 20-25 minute duration while they write the speeding ticket you're happy to be getting instead of an insurance killer of a reckless driving ticket.... didn't happen to me but my daughter attended UC Santa Barbara and we met parents of her friends that had this happen... and similar stories.

For the moment the CHP's targeting certain stretches in CA because they're understaffed (CA's budget crunch) and can't cover the bases like they used to... so for some reason they like these obvious high-speed stretches of road... probably because they can stay fully engaged pulling over speeders with virtually no down time cruising along looking for them... efficient economic return with limited available resource.  But they just got a hiring budget so are out trying to recruit 250 or someodd new recruits... so in a year or so, I think the CA driver's free-for all with 80-85 mph standard fast lane fare will become seriously restricted.

Yep...long gone are the days when you could drive with a few under your belt, go well over the speed limit and when you got pulled over the CHP could just as easily buy you a cup of coffee as give you a ticket for going only 5mph over the limit (when you were probably doing 40 or 50mph over the limit).  

When I lived in Germany and was driving there in the early 60's the standard "joke" was that the only reason the Volkspolizie needed their high speed MB's on the Autobahn's was to keep the fast lane clear of slower drivers.... since they were the ones causing the accidents (no speed limits on the Autobahn's in those days).

For slower speeds, but really exhilerating sports driving, Highway 50 from just east of Placerville all the way to South Tahoe's another great driver's road... 2 lanes (1 in each direction... no center divider), but with a passing lane extending for about 1/2 mile in length about every 4 miles or so.  Great winding tire screeching turns and a lot of braking into the turns and down-shifting, then the windup to just over peak torque while you shift up coming out of the turns.  Very few cops unless you travel that highway on a Friday or Saturday (going to Tahoe) or Sunday (returning from).  I recommend Tues's and Wed's.... mid-morning to mid-day.  I drove this a couple months ago with my wife's SL500 ... amazing how well that heavyweight, but power packed thing can negotiate the turns and accelerate out and up.  Tromp down on 300 horses and it really accelerated amazingly even considering it's mass.  Used a good bit of fuel though!!!, and probably took 10k miles off the sport tires over that 50 mile stretch.... but with top down, sun shining, beautiful scenery (my wife could see it... but my eye's were glued to the road) ... it was a great drive. Highly recommended for sports driving styles.        

Longtooth
'02 SL500 Sport