Author Topic: Storing the vehicle for 2 years  (Read 2522 times)

karmannghia60

Storing the vehicle for 2 years
« on: January 20, 2006, 06:00:09 »
Hi, I am about to go overseas for a period of two years. During this period, I will return home every 6 months or so. What is the best way to store my '69? Should I left it off the ground on stands? Shoudl I empty the fuel tank? Do I need to do anything to the engine apart from disconnecting the battery? I do have a brother who is happy to start the vehicle for me once or twice a week, is this better than disconnecting the battery and leave the car idle of the 6 months in between visits? Anything else I need to pay attention to?
Thanks
Raf

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: Storing the vehicle for 2 years
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 18:39:37 »
There are a number of posts about storing a vehicle. Use the search function and you should be able to find some very helpful information. Generally (very) I do not think it is a good idea to start a vehicle, let it idle for a while, and then turn it off. That will allow a lot of moisture to build up in the exhaust and other parts that can lead to corrosion.

If you will get back on a six month cycle, you might be able to get away with filling the tank, pumping up the tires (40+ pounds), covering the exhaust inlets, outlets, putting a top of charger (or tender) on the battery, and running it when you back.

You can use the fuel stabilizer as an added protection.

Store in as dry an area as you can, wash the car, run it on the road to dry out any of the drain passages, and then cover it with a good quality car cover.

Again, be sure to check the search and previous posts, as there are a number of good recommendations on the site.

Jonny B
1967 250SL Auto
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor