Author Topic: Leaking fuel tank  (Read 5335 times)

n/a

Leaking fuel tank
« on: September 29, 2005, 12:11:37 »
Finally getting my 1968 280sl running only to find a leaking gas tank.  The tank is leaking along the seam.  Any advice.  Will the tank from a 280 sedan fit as a replacement?

n/a

Re: Leaking fuel tank
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 12:58:27 »
So much for a tank swap from the 280SEL, I spoke with the MB Classics Center and they stated the tanks are not the same.

What are my options (and costs)?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 12:58:53 by n/a »

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 13:52:05 »
Chuck, there might be hope... my tank sprang a leak once -- initially I hoped for a hose or something but it seemed to originate from above the tank. Turns out it was a rusted seam. My mechanic pulled the tank and sent it to a local radiator shop. They were able to repair it somehow (reweld?). Have not had a problem since (at least 4 years ago I'd say.)

James
63 230SL
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 13:52:43 by J. Huber »
James
63 230SL

iceberg

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 16:09:03 »
When I first got my car the gas tank had a lot of gunk, and I assume rust, in it.  Canadian Tire (Canadian Trash  :twisted: ) sent it to a repair shop in Toronto.  Canadian Tire told me that they would only forward the cost on to me, but they lied and when I asked for the original receipt, those dumb asses at Canadian Tire at Yonge and Steels gave me a blacked out sheet that had the original cost which was way less than what these thieves had charged me.  So all in all, its about $250 Candian to get your gas tank cracked opened, fixed and relined. Sorry for the long story but I thought I'd take this opportunity and tell everyone about a really ****ty Canadian retailer, just in the hope that other bycott the place.

Regards,
H

norton

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 17:33:15 »
Here's a link about K&K and an aftermarket gas tank that is availble from them, You should call Tim at K&K as there was some discussion about the fit and quality, I talked to them about it and it sounds like it was only one bad tank, but let Tim tell you about it.
http://sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=3931&K

Mike Halleck
Chesterfield Mi
71 280SL
68 250SL (parts car)
94 E320 Coupe
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 17:34:02 by norton »

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 17:50:29 »
I'd agree with Norton, talk to K&K.  Their price is about $550 versus $1,100 for the OEM.

I needed a new fuel tank this year...actually I needed it two years ago, but didn't want to face the facts.  If your car has been sitting for any length of time you might have some corrosion starting--the seam leak might be a precursor to other troubles.

I've only once spoken with Tim at K&K--he never seems to be in when I call--no matter.  Speak with Cheryl instead.  I don't know about that one tank deal--when I spoke with them in June it was the whole damn batch of tanks--ones they had waited many many months for.  They leaked and they didn't fit.  At the time they were investigating--so they told me--either sending them back or having them reworked here or there, there being some unnamed eastern European country.  As the good Dr. Benz says, they'll tell you the truth even if it isn't what you want to hear.

I opted for a new MB tank.  While it did the trick, at the filler neck the fit is slightly different then the original.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid