Author Topic: Pagoda World and "Glass"  (Read 1388 times)

John Betsch - "SADIE"

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, SOUTHOLD
Pagoda World and "Glass"
« on: June 30, 2021, 18:00:52 »
My Pagoda World Vol I arrived and I have been diligently reading it 

Page 116 has an article from Fall 2006 about replacing Side Door Glass.   This is something I should do as I have vertical scratches on both, assumedly from worn guides.   Do the experts out there feel this is still a good recipe to follow or any other opinions?    Does a fifteen year old article still the best recipe?  I am skeptical but would really like to try?

JB
JB; 1965 German market SL, Rot Met 571, Summary Code 213 Interior

TJMart

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Matthews
Re: Pagoda World and "Glass"
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 18:00:50 »
JB,

I think the article gives a good description of what needs to be done and how to do it. I did both of my doors with the intent of restoring and replacing as much of the removable parts as possible. e.g the plastic and rubber, whiskers etc. I also thought that once I was in the door I didn't want to have to go back in so do everything you can do while you are in there.

The guides on mine had both fallen off and the glass was very movable without them. My tips would be to make sure you use extreme care removing the clips that hold in the whiskers and the chrome trim along the top of the door and don't bend the chrome trim, use epoxy to glue the guides to the glass so they won't fall off again, and be very careful when attaching the glass to the frame and don't overtighten the small bolts to avoid breaking the glass.

My last tip is take your time because there is a lot to do when you are in there...lubrication points, cleaning and final adjustments to the glass for proper fit and reassembly. Once you get it done you will be glad you did it. My ride was much quieter after and all my locks worked properly.  Good Luck!!
Tony
1970 280SL, 4 Speed

John Betsch - "SADIE"

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, SOUTHOLD
Re: Pagoda World and "Glass"
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 20:03:53 »
Thank you for taking the time to help out. It doesn't seem that many have tried it

It always comes down to the little things and I appreciate your response.  O

JB
JB; 1965 German market SL, Rot Met 571, Summary Code 213 Interior