Author Topic: How to remove chrome trim pieces between tail lights and trunk lock  (Read 1351 times)

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
Hi all,
Too much time to deal with Pagoda details during COVID, so I'm installing the rubber seal under the chrome trim between the tail lights and trunk lock, but cannot find any help in the Tech Manual for how to remove the chrome trim pieces to do it.
Before I start, any help, please?
Thanks
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
Do the trunk lock and the tail lights hold the chrome trim in place?  If so, I would remove those and see what happens.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

dakman29

• Senior
  • USA, WA, Spokane
If we’re talking about the same parts, you need to loosen the studs holding the tail lights down, pull them toward you a bit, then there is just one sheet metal screw on each trim piece. You don’t need to remove the trunk lock

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
Yes.  Same as dakman suggests — remove or loosen taillights and one screw underneath the chrome. 
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
For certain VIN numbers there are also rubber stripes between taillights and body. Do you have them? Asking "as you are already there"...
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
Thanks, Scott, Dakman and Oz!
Yes, Pawel, I've got the rubber between the taillights and body - and peeking out above the chrome trunk lock.
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex