Author Topic: Brake lights and Fuel Gauge not working  (Read 1600 times)

Mysixty4

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Stockton
Brake lights and Fuel Gauge not working
« on: April 28, 2020, 19:24:25 »
Stop(brake) lights and fuel gauge not working.  Checked fuse #5 and looks good.  Going to replace the brake light switch.  Hopefully this will fix the brake lights.  How do I remove the retainer so I can unscrew the brake light switch?  Can I jump the plug just to check if brake lights work?

Anything to do with the cigarette lighter and clock that are currently unplugged causing the brake of lights and fuel gauge not to work?

Side note:  A push button was installed on dash (next to ignition switch) that I traced to the brake light switch.  Only one of the wires was connected.  Anyone ever see one of these installed on a Pagoda?
Any reasons why anyone would install this button to make the brake lights turn on without having to press the brake pedal?

Thanks
Alvin

« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 15:58:37 by Mysixty4 »
Stockton, CA
1964 Euro 230SL
4 Speed
Light Beige

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Re: Brake lights and Fuel Gauge no working
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 22:15:13 »
Sometimes it is good to turn the fuse a bit in its holder - some corrosion that might have appeared there will be scratched for better connection. But if it was the fuse, you would have more receivers not working, I think.

Yes, you can short the connectors at the switch to check if the brake lights work. If shortening them does not help, check the voltage at the bulbs holder. If power is there, you may have issue

I do not suppose this extra switch is any standard equipment. No idea why would you have it.

I do not see any other connection between fuel gauge and the brake switch than fuse no.5 and - they both go through the main harness connector.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Mysixty4

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Stockton
Re: Brake lights and Fuel Gauge not working
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 16:08:38 »
Thanks Pawel.  Jumped brake light switch and no power to brake light sockets. Turn signals and back up lights are working. 
Anything else to check?

Thank Alvin
Stockton, CA
1964 Euro 230SL
4 Speed
Light Beige

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 21:16:08 »
Since I am short of ideas on connection between brake light and fuel gauge not functioning (other than fuse problem), i would investigate the brakes lights first.

Start with replacing one of the bulbs in the lamp. Chances are one was blown some time ago, one has been blown recently. If that does not help:

check other fuse 5 devices (ignition on):
- do the turn signal indicators work?
- does the reverse light work?

If not - something is wrong with fuse 5.

If yes, then:

If you have a multimeter - use it now, if not, just get a 12V bulb with holder and two wires, hook one wire to ground and check with the other wire, having switched on the ignition:
- do you have power on fuse no. 5? probably yes
- do you have power on one of the connectors at the stop lights switch? if yes
connect the connectors together and check
- do you have power on the bulb holder in the lamp? check this carefully - some lamps have the bulb base made of two layers of metal, you may have power on the bottom metal layer, but not on the top one, on which bulb rests

if no - something happens on the way of the wire, I guess.
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Mysixty4

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Stockton
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 14:42:39 »
Thanks again Pawel.
I have been reviewing the wire diagram.  Both sides of fuse #5 has power.  All other receivers work except the brake lights and fuel gauge.  No power to brake light switch with ignition on.  Where can I check between fuse #5 to brake light switch and fuse #5 to fuel gauge?

Thanks
Alvin
Stockton, CA
1964 Euro 230SL
4 Speed
Light Beige

Mysixty4

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Stockton
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 17:33:18 »
Found the problem and now all receivers working on Fuse #5.  Tightened the loose screw on Fuse #5 at inside panel of fuse box.

Stockton, CA
1964 Euro 230SL
4 Speed
Light Beige

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 17:35:06 »
 :) :)
I think it may feel quite rewarding to find even fairly small, but painful fault.
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class