Author Topic: Window felts, door panels  (Read 2641 times)

Steve.k

Window felts, door panels
« on: May 15, 2018, 02:33:24 »
Hi all,

I’m getting more adventurous with my recently acquired 280.  I wanted to add the right side convex mirror and after researching here, I learned that the interior door panel has to be removed.  I also wanted to replace the window felts and weatherstripping while I was at it.   Might as well get it all done once.
Following the advice on here, I was able to remove the door panel in relatively short order and to my surprise, the hardboard panel was in great shape and the plastic film intact.  The handwritten ‘304’ matches the production number on my data card.
My first questions is:  Is that the original plastic sheet from the factory or is it from a previous restoration?  The yellowish glue holding it in place is still pliable and tacky.   
Second question:  i was able to remove the inner chrome trim as well as the brass clips, but I haven’t been able to figure out how to remove the outer chrome strip.  I’ve searched on it and can’t find anything.  Im hesitant to start prying. 
While I have it open, what else should I take care of?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 02:38:48 by Steve.k »

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
Re: Window felts, door panels
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 03:03:14 »
I am currently in the process of changing  my door whiskers now.  The drivers side is all done and I'm waiting on parts for passenger side.

The outside chrome strip is attached by 8 total clips. 5 of one type (hold whisker & chrome) and 3 of another type(just hold chrome). Both attach to door.

The 3 have to be attached to the chrome strip first then to the door all at once. The 5 can clip onto the door first and then whiskers and chrome strip added.

When prying up the passenger outside chrome door trim it was discovered on my car that the clips are incorrect and the 3 clips that attach to the chrome trim first were missing hence waiting for parts.

I just used a plastic pry tool to gently pry the chrome trim up. Just do a little at a time and EVEVENLY.

While inside you can clean out door guide channels if necessary. Make sure windows glide smoothly, lube and check for any worn or loose parts that might cause door rattles.

Maybe Tyler S will jump in and tell of his experience.  He just did his last Friday.  It must be door whisker replace month😜
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 03:09:40 by mrfatboy »
1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 05:43:12 »
It is the door month.

Last Friday I went after rattles in my doors.

The rubber pieces that hold the knob rods in the doors are available at Mercedes. I am writing this as I read they are NLA. They are there.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 15:31:38 »
The best way to remove the outer chrome trim is to open the door and remove the large door latch chrome escutcheon cover plate. Then remove the remaining screw and cupped washer holding the door weatherstrip in place at the top. Pull that section of weatherstrip out and down out of your way. You can now tape up and insert a thin flat screwdriver into the rearmost end of the trim untill you feel a clip. Gently rotate the screwdriver to start lifting the trim. Work your way along a little at a time to prevent bending the chrome. Masking the painted door surface with tape is a good idea to prevent paint damage.
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

specracer

• Senior
  • USA, MA, Duxbury
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 23:04:43 »
Sounds like the vapor barrier is original. Be sure to carefully reset it, or replace it with poly. The existence of this plastic is why your door panels are in great shape!

As mentioned, clean and lubricate everything.

My first questions is:  Is that the original plastic sheet from the factory or is it from a previous restoration?  The yellowish glue holding it in place is still pliable and tacky.   

While I have it open, what else should I take care of?