Author Topic: Probelms with the trunk lid spring  (Read 3331 times)

Ebbe

Probelms with the trunk lid spring
« on: May 01, 2017, 09:19:59 »
My spring holding the trunk lid is not doing the job. Is it possible to tighten it or am I looking at a new one..?

Ebbe

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
Re: Probelms with the trunk lid spring
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 15:57:50 »

Ebbe

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 11:53:52 »
Thanks WRe - not an easy job I can see:(

Ebbe

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 14:17:40 »
Ebbe,

Most of the time the trunk lid springs are weak is because the two white or cream colored plastic retainers are broken or in the wrong places.
Check those first.
How does the soft top lid work?  Is it holding up strong?
Springs control both the top lid and trunk.

Walter

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 15:02:45 »
Hi Ebbe,

Admittedly the explanation of the trunk lid and soft top compartment springs is complicated and difficult to understand.  When I wrote it, I had just figured out how it worked and had made the tool and removed my own springs and hinges to send out the car for rotisserie body restoration.

As far as I could determine, there is no torsion adjustment possible.  Mine worked equally well before removal and after reinstallation.  You have probably figured out by now that when the trunk is open, the soft top cover will not open and when the soft top cover is open, if you open the trunk, the soft top cover will close automatically.  The system is ingenious in that it protects the trunk and soft top cover from one another to prevent dents and damage.

I must say that during my work on the system, I probably felt a little like a member of a bomb disposal team.  I scraped a lot of knuckles and when it slipped once under torsion, I felt in extreme danger.  Whatever you do, be careful.  That system is dangerous.  I had to have extra body work done at the restorer because when the spring escaped from me, it put a dent in the body from inside the trunk directly above the left hinge.  I don't ever want to work on that system again and with the previous warning, I refuse any responsibility for damage, either personal or automotive.

Good Luck,

Tom Kizer
Levis, Quebec, Canada
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

Ebbe

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 06:39:05 »
Thank you guys.

I will check the white ones before doing anything. Yes - the lid covering the cab stay put when open...

Ebbe

450sl

• Silver
  • Netherlands, Gelderland, zelhem
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 12:40:40 »
Be very careful Ebbe ; i have seen a pagoda with a hole in the body due to unprofessional being done to the spring......

Ebbe

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 12:56:44 »
I will not mess with it - then better live with as it is:)

Thanks.

Ebbe