Author Topic: Trunk floor ...left side along weld line  (Read 3227 times)

Sept

Trunk floor ...left side along weld line
« on: April 21, 2016, 21:30:01 »
I had seen some posts about rust and areas to look for..one of them was in the trunk under the floor covering on the left side..facing the car from the rear?  I pulled up the mat and see a few spots along the weld line.  http://carltyer.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/1971-280-SL/G0000jhYeDGL5xB8/I0000URddt3Pf_6c

Here's a link to an image showing the discoloration.

The floor is solid and I don't get a sense these discoloration spots are soft or are an issue.  My thought was to treat them with a spray on material that stops rust. 

Other thoughts?

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
Re: Trunk floor ...left side along weld line
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 00:17:20 »
It's up to you, Carl.

Personally, if it were my car, I would sand it down to bare metal and rebuild the paint layers (2x primer, 2x black (or dark grey) paint.
That will provide the most durable results to you.

Achim
Achim
(Germany)

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 15:03:29 »
I would concur with Achim. Probably a good idea to double check that all the seals are good too. Including the ones around the tail lights, which can also be a water entry point.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Sept

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 21:47:25 »
Thanks...that's a good thought.  And in the area where it's located, not hard to get access.  I assume just a basic primer and black matt spray paint.

Pinder

• Gold
  • USA, NJ, Edison
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 23:27:34 »
I would sand it down. and get as much of the rust off as possible. Ive had a lot of luck with POR 15. ITs bullet proof and actual ads rigidity to rusty metal. I forgot to take it off a screw driver and now its useless. Its a rust encapsulation so if you didnt get all the rust out it will seal it from moisture. Once dry you can scuff it up a bit then paint primer then top coat.
1970 280 SL Light Ivory DB 670. 4 Speed manual shift no AC Limited Slip Diff.