Author Topic: Gears Not Changing  (Read 2358 times)

Markbhai

Gears Not Changing
« on: July 22, 2016, 23:18:54 »
Hello All.

Driving home from Manchester to Bradford today my 230 SL developed a gear fault which I would like some advice on, primarily because I know very little about the gears on our cars.

The cat is a Auto Box 230 SL and after driving normally today for about 40 miles or so the car seemed to develop a fault when changing gears.  It seemed at first to be over revving, but I then realised that it had not shifted up a gear.

I know that the cars start in 2nd gear and it seems to shift to 3rd OK, but then it appears not to be changing up into 4th.  I also noticed on inclines that it was not holding its speed, dropping to a crawl (5-10 mph) and over revving if I gave it gas.

I was told to check the gear oil level (see picture) which looks like it is either OK or is too full rather than too low.  I was also told to check the 'air pipe' leading to the gear box, but dont know where this is.

1. Can anyone confirm the oil levels look OK (picture taken when car is cold and not running)
2. Can anyone advise where the 'air pipe' can be found
3. Does anyone have any advice for other things to help diagnose the fault?

Thanks

Mark.

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
Re: Gears Not Changing
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 23:37:04 »
First thing is you need to always check the fluid level with the engine RUNNING. The level drops when the pump is cycling fluid through the system.
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)