Author Topic: Cost for paint job Long Island NY  (Read 5112 times)

StevenF

• Silver
  • USA, NY, Merrick
Cost for paint job Long Island NY
« on: October 20, 2015, 13:55:36 »
I will be painting my 280sl and need to get an idea of cost.

The car is very good shape (no rust) but has a few minor dings.  I am not looking for a concours paint job because I want to drive the car, but I am looking to get a good paint job.

With some new seals , what should I be looking at ....I am in Long Island NY....recommendations are welcomed
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 16:12:03 by StevenF »
1971 280sl
Red Metallic
Bamboo MB Tex

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
Re: Cost for paint job Long Island NY
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 16:47:10 »
You could get a paint job for 5K or 10K. A lot depends on the condition of your car and how much you want to spend.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

StevenF

• Silver
  • USA, NY, Merrick
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 19:31:05 »
do you know of any shops in the NYC area you can recommend?
1971 280sl
Red Metallic
Bamboo MB Tex

perry113

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, NY, Rensselaer
    • http://picasaweb.google.com/peterperry911113/1970280SECoupe#
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 02:09:21 »
Are you doing any prep work? Doing the door jambs removing the door seals and pulling the windshield and chrome finishers on the windshield post? Think about all of the time it takes for proper disassembly and reassembly. What's your expectations? Is there any other areas of work needed that should be addressed when the work is done?

Don't expect a good job for $5000.00. Cost of paint and materials and shop overhead would be reasonable at $2000.00 before you factor in technician labor.

Painting is just part of it. Proper stripping and body work even assuming no rust repair are the thing sometimes we may overlook that are really what you will see when the job is done.
Really good shops may quote by the hour, provide a low to high range or keep it somewhat open ended until its down to metal to be able to fully ascertain all of the needs to do it properly.

What about the hardtop, and if so how far apart will you take it or will you just tape it off?

These are the kind of questions you should ask yourself.

You can spend 8 hours per door just installing new rubber seal in itself and another 8 hours or so stripping prepping fine lining and refinishing 4 hub caps.

It's an amazing commitment and amount of expertise and work to do the job right. Sometimes making a deal for too low of a price can backfire on yourself in the shop putting the project on the backburner and taking too long and cutting corners. Go to an experienced shop who can provide references for this kind of job.

$10000 on the low side without going too deep would be a gift and up to $20000 or more can be easily justified.

These days with rising prices of these cars what you put into it will increase the value of your car if its done right.

The only place I saw close to you area that appears to specialize in W113 to name few is Aventura Motors, however I have personal connections references or any feedback on them.

http://www.aventuramotors.com/site/index.php?route=product/category&path=61_69

A little further out in CT is a well known shop call Automobile Associates. I have seen their work. It's incredible.

http://automobileassociates.com/home.htm

I hope this helps.

Regards
Peter

« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 02:51:19 by perry113 »
Peter Perry
1970 911T Bahia Red
1972 911T Albert Blau
1963 220seb coupe barn
1965 230SL Light Ivory automatic
1966 230SL Havana Brown 4 speed Barn Find
1970 280SE living 3.5 donor car

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 12:52:13 »
Try Starlight in Mattituck, you will not be disappointed.

Pinder

• Gold
  • USA, NJ, Edison
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 00:19:47 »
I agree that its all in the prep work.  doing the actual paint job by a pro probably does not take more than 1 or 2 days.  I plan on painting my car and my brothers (a 69 and 70). I am not a professional so this is a hobby for me.  Its a lot of labor but as I do all of it myself its very cost effective. Paint and supplies are less thank $500. Its all labor and it takes me weeks to get the body block sanded and then weeks to wet sand and polish out to a mirror finish. (i dont like the orange peel look which i think is original to these cars). Ive painted a few cars in my past and each one gets a little better. Black or any dark color will show poor body prep a lot more than white. The Single Stage Urethane is what I prefer. Very durable and polish up nice.  You will need a good Full face mask / filter as it has some toxic stuff in it. I also avoid doing any metalic paint work as I am not a professional and I dont have a spray booth the solid colors are much more forgiving and you can break down the areas to pain into separate panels. If you are handy it may pay to do your own car. Its not rocket science.
1970 280 SL Light Ivory DB 670. 4 Speed manual shift no AC Limited Slip Diff.