Author Topic: Set of cooling hoses 280SL  (Read 2392 times)

Ulrik

Set of cooling hoses 280SL
« on: January 02, 2016, 13:06:51 »
Dear All

Happy new year

Has anybody seen who sells a complete set of cooling hoses. I cant find anybody on the internet.

I would be happy for any kind of tip where to go.

Kind regards
Ulrik

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: Set of cooling hoses 280SL
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 17:12:42 »
Hmm, interesting question. I have not seen a set of hoses.

Whenever I have replaced hoses, I have gone to the local MB dealer. A number of the hoses are standard size that you just need a length of hose to cut from. In the States, we can get a 10% discount for being a Mercedes Benz Club of America member. The dealer should be able to pull the numbers for the preformed hoses (the upper and lower large radiator hose, the hose under the thermostat (a bear to get in), the hose with different size ends, the hose under the expansion tank (on the 250 SL and 280 SL, I think the 230 SL has a straight section) and the long heater hose (on the later 280 SL I think - from heater core to side of engine block).

It is usually a day or two delivery.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

dirtrack49

Re: Set of cooling hoses 280SL
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 17:19:31 »
Hi Ulrik,

I just got through doing my entire cooling and heating system on my 66 230SL.

Got the upper and lower radiator hoses, bypass hose and 12mm bulk hose from Miller's here in the US. They had to special order the OE factory lower radiator hose and the bulk 12mm hose from Germany. It might be worthwhile since you are in Europe to check with SLS or a Mercedes dealership. There is also 18mm hose that you can buy in 1 meter bulk lengths.

One thing I found when buying the coolant hoses and various bulk heater hoses, is that a lot of stuff is aftermarket. If you want to get the hoses that came on the car originally, which in my opinion is the real quality stuff, you need to make sure the supplier is getting the hoses made by Phoenix.

On my car, the lower radiator hose and bypass hose were both original to the car. Pretty amazing that they would have lasted for 50 years! They were clearly stamped "Phoenix" on the originals and the replacements.

Take care,