Author Topic: Fire Extinguisher Anyone?  (Read 10870 times)

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
Fire Extinguisher Anyone?
« on: January 21, 2015, 03:22:34 »
I know many of you no doubt carry a small fire extinguisher in your car, just in case.  I am curious as to what type of extinguisher others are carrying.  I ask because I have read many a discussion that the standard dry chemical extinguishers can make an absolute mess of your car and are almost impossible to clean, not to mention what it can do to your engine if the dry chemical gets inside your engine block.

Halon gas extinguishers are no longer available, at least not here in Canada, and Halotron are going the same way if they haven't already so both of those options are off the table.  Is anyone carrying CO2 extinguishers?  Amerex has started producing 2.5 lb CO2 extinguishers, which are an ideal size to carry in a car.  Is there any danger in using CO2, maybe super chilling a hot engine will do as much damage as a dry chemical, I don't know.

I understand many will say that so what if dry chemical makes a mess, at least it put out the fire.  That may be so but if you can't clean it up and it ruins your engine, you still end up with a mess.

Anyway, I have started doing some research as my extinguishers are dry chemical at the moment but I am looking for an alternative, something that will put out the fire and not ruin everything in the process. 
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Fire Extinguisher Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 05:50:09 »
Interesting question. I once had an electrical fire and no extinguisher, and it got pretty bad until an onlooker walked up with his water bottle, which did not have much content left, threw it over the fire, putting it out instantly. So your question has me thinking maybe it's just better to carry a gallon of water in a plastic bottle and forget about the fancy stuff? After all if it's good enough for the fire department, why not. Probably it won't help you if you have a real blaze, but then again it sounds like with the CO2 or what have you you're just creating a different big problem?
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 06:10:34 »
I have a dry extinguisher and wouldn't go anywhere without it.  If there is a fuel fire it will put it out.  If it makes a mess I will clean it.  A pressure washer cleans it up pretty well followed by a brush, steel wool and then que-tips.  I even have a bag of baking soda in the tool kit of my harley and my triumph just in case.  Water generally just spreads the petroleum flame around even more. 

When I was 17 I bought a truck from an auction and it had this powdery stuff all over the engine.  I was young and didn't know what it was.  After my first week of ownership I realized what the powder was - I didnt have an extinguisher and watched the engine burn up.  That was my first engine transplant and the last time I ever went without a fire extinguisher.  Have never needed the extinguisher for my own vehicle but it did come in handy with a lotus elan that was flaming from a leaking carb.  I should have let it burn - the ungrateful owner never even bought me a new extinguisher.

Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
83 VF 1100C
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50
12 Pro 4X

hauser

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 08:00:19 »

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 16:46:17 »
Hauser, how/where did you mount it?
I carry a dry chem.

Another issue with the dry chem, is that they will tend to settle from the vibration etc of driving the car. You need to shake them back and forth every so often (part of spring ritual) and you can tell by the feel if the chem inside is flowing.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 18:38:15 »
Just found this youtube video on CO2 extinguishers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlIJlvMxG0Y.  Personally I'd want a larger extinguisher but the idea of having a seat belt cutter and something to break windows would be handy.  I also saw a video about using CO2 extinguishers on one of Leno's garage series.  You can also recharge a CO2 extinguisher.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Richard S

• Junior Level
  • USA, WA, Anacortes
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 05:17:37 »
I had a gasoline fire in my 280SE 3.5 a few years back.  The dry extinguisher put it out zip-quick.  There was a bit of mess from the hood pad melting onto the engine but the dry power came off with little problem.
Richard
250SL RHD
Midnight Blue

hauser

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 05:24:44 »
Johnny, I mounted it behind the drivers seat and attached it to the parcel shelf.  I got the mounting idea from Mike Salemi.

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 05:37:42 »
And if you have a CO2 extinguisher in the car they are great for cooling the beer in an emergency as well :o ;D ;D
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 09:51:21 »
When I was in the Merchant Navy many moons ago, we used to use CO2
if we ran out of cold beer and wine on party nights.

I remember one junior engineer being told off  -  for getting it wrong, one night - as he was left just holding the shattered top of a wine bottle, having been too enthusiastic with the CO2 valve !

Keep well

Paul

Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)

joes

• Associate Member
  • Regular
  • Canada, Ontario,
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 00:45:28 »
Hi Jordan,

I guess fire extinguishers are one of those things that you need but hopefully will never use.  I don't have one in my 280SL but have one in my other toy.  I bought it in Vaughan just north of TO and it was a Badger fire extinguisher.   Halotron 1 and 2.5 lbs  The company I purchased it from was Crownfire and they were great to deal with.  Not cheap.  That was 2 years ago so maybe they have phased them out but do give them a try.

Stay warm,
Joe
71 280SL, auto, white-grey (158)/brown (138)
72 911T, 5 spd, silver/black

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 14:46:19 »
I show my car in AACA meets and they require a fire extinguisher to be present with your car on the show grounds and also visible to the judges (most of the thie placed under the left front tire).  I have a Euro spec 280SL and wanted to keep the european look to the car, so I opted to forgo the USA made extinguishers for a German one (thanks to Joe Alexander).  I have a Minimax 2kg-Halon, type HN 2 M.  This extinguisher was used in German MBs of that era and was attached to the driver's seat under legs. Attachment was included.
Bob
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto

71Beige280SL

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, OH, Madeira
  • 1971 280 SL
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 17:54:26 »
Can anyone send pictures of where you are mounting them. I was at a car show back in the fall and there was a beautiful 356 Porsche with a small chrome fire extinguisher mounted on the passenger side, upper right. Looked great.
- 1971 280SL Beige/Cognac Leather
- 2024 Mercedes GLE 350
- 2023 AMG C43 Cabriolet

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 18:02:50 »
I just purchased a vintage Gloria fire extinguisher for my 280SL.  Looks like the one below.  Not sure how to mount.  Old and probably not operational, but i think it is correct.  Any feedback?
1970 280SL 291H Dark Olive

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 17:20:57 »
Some time ago I asked my neighbour wise down the street to ask her husband a question (he is a fire chef in one of our neighbouring towns). "What he considers the best fire extinguisher to care in a older classic car." She must have forgotten to ask him, or he must have been to busy. Anyway a few weeks ago he called me over to his house "Dieter you have a minute?"  As I went over to his house he presented me with this gift and said "This is the type you should cary the smaller ones simply have not enough capacity to put out a fire" I will install this baby in my trunk before venturing on the trip to PUB 2015.

He presented this to me as a gift since I cleaned his drive way during the winter several times when we had heavy snow and he was on duty in the neighbouring town, nice to live in a nice neighbourhood :) 

Now I don't mean to say what you may have in your car is no good, I am just passing on what the Fire Chief told me :) Let us all hope we never ever have to go and use it on our car.

Speaking of fire, I read over the weekend that there is a fire recall on the E350 mine is a coupe, I have to check with my dealer if mine is to be recalled as well http://wemakeitsafer.com/vehicle-recall/Mercedes-Benz-E350-Recall-6879269
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

pj

• Gold
  • Canada, ON, London, Ontario
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2015, 17:24:33 »
It's a nice suggestion, Dieter, but that looks like rather too large an object to burden us. Can't blame a fire chief for suggesting it, though. "When you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail."
Peter J
1965 230SL #09474 named Dagny
2018 B250 4matic named Rigel

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2015, 17:46:41 »
Peter, it only is 9 pounds and I can well afford to carry it (remember safety is number 1), besides in 2013 before my trip to Williamsburg, VA I removed 23 pounds of dead weight from my car (the A/C was removed some time ago when imported to Canada) I removed the compressor / blower that was only dead weight to me.

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2015, 18:49:18 »
For rally drivers an extinguisher is mandatory. And it must be accessible quickly. I'd recommend not putting it in the trunk. I have mine mounted just forward of the passenger seat, so that I can get at it without getting out of the car.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2015, 19:36:58 »
Good point Peter, show us a picture please (in your Pagoda or your Rally car?)

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2015, 22:50:21 »
35 years in the fire department and I'll make the same comment I do every time this topic arises:  Although there may be some greater difficulty in the clean-up after use of a dry chemical extinguisher there will at least be something left to clean up.  That is not something you can always say about the use of gaseous extinguishing agents, particularly in the hands of those who may lack experience and practice in the area.  I only carry dry chemical extinguishers in automobiles and boats.

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2015, 07:46:03 »
I carry quite a large military powder extinguisher (I assume it's a dry powder type). I'd say it's maybe 4-5 kg but will check. I have it 'mounted' to the cross member to which the front of the passenger seat is attached. I put it there because it's easy to reach when you need it and anyway its in dead space ie, most people put their feet forward in the footwell rather than attempt some yoga-esque leg folding position. The rear shelf doesn't seem as good an option because it isn't dead space. I dump stuff there. I don't think the boot is a brilliant place to keep the extinguisher given that you may need it having been rear ended. Also, trying to unlock the boot and rifle through it to get to the thing will burn time (see what I did there ::)).

My extinguisher has a mounting bracket with a quick release clip. It's lose at the moment and I'm going to look at using rivnuts to mount it permanently.
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2015, 20:00:28 »
I've one of these (in a chromed/polished finish) slung in the same position as Peter has his
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 20:05:30 by JamesL »
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather