Author Topic: Thanksgiving Joy Ride  (Read 9756 times)

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
Thanksgiving Joy Ride
« on: November 30, 2014, 23:54:04 »
I found myself a bachelor over a 4-day weekend and was thinking to spend the time working on the Pagoda --- but instead --- took a 1000 mile (1600Km) joy ride.  

Started from the beach area of Los Angeles and headed for Vegas!  Once out of the cities, the speed ranged between 65 – 80 miles per hour (105 – 130km).  Eventually, I got used to the high revs but still every time I would look at the tach and see that I was running at 4000-4500rpm, for long periods, it would unnerve me bit.  

About 3 hours into the drive, I suddenly heard a deafening scream from the dash.  Not knowing what I just blew, and taking a quick mental inventory of the tools and supplies I packed, I pulled off to the side of the road. When my speed dropped below 20mph, the screaming stopped.   I now know what the SCREAMING speedo is all about --- reading about it on the forum is nothing like experiencing it.   If I had not read about this on our forum, I may not have figured out what was going on.   Back on the road with the speedo occasionally screaming but I did notice that “at times” I was able to make it stop by jiggling the trip counter dial.  

Made it to Vegas and stayed two nights – two nights too long as I left a donation at the craps table that would have treated the Pagoda to a new OEM rear diff trunk mount and maybe even a new trunk seal to go with it --- a few too many 7’s on the dice at the wrong time.  

From Vegas, headed north-west through Death Valley and Mojave Desert – did not want to breakdown out here, but really wanted to drive through this area.  Luckily all was fine.  

Continued west up through Central California’s Wine region, finding smaller roads where I made my way to the Coast Highway near Big Sur – found a wonderful small road that cut through the hills getting me to the coast – what I did not know, was that this road is not always open as it runs through a military base --- but since the base was closed, the road was open – good thing as it would have been a two-hour backtrack.  

Even though I have driven Highway One between Northern California and Southern California many times, it’s still a wonderful drive.  

The car performed well as I hugged the coast.   Fuel consumption averaged at 18 miles per USA gallon, 22 miles per Imperial gallon & 13 liters per 100km – this was for 750 miles.  The last 250 miles, the fuel consumption was higher and power was clearly a little less --- not sure if I got a weak tank of fuel or some adjustment went off on the car --- will be looking into it and the dreaded screaming speedo --- sounds like a painful job from everything I’ve read – my atonement for making my Vegas craps table detour!

Definitely a different kind of Thanksgiving!

(A few photos in next message also)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 15:15:03 by kampala »
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
Re: Thanksgiving Joy Ride
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 23:56:10 »
additional photos ...

« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 15:17:34 by kampala »
250sl - later - manual

Aslam

GGR

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 00:10:09 »
Beautiful car, nice pictures! You must have had a really good time! I built my car to do that kind of trips. I've been in these areas, and usually pictures do not render well the beauty of these vast spaces. You should consider a 5 speed transmission conversion, it makes these kind of trips so much more comfortable, and your mpg would also be well above 20.

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 00:10:21 »
Wow! That was an amazing trip and great photos! Done it myself a few times but over 40 years ago:-) I bet you did not see too many Pagodas along the way, especially in Death Valley. My speedo started to "scream" once in a while when the car was only a few years old (but past warranty) and it just finally went away. Too bad you didn't make it up to the Sacramento area as I am sure our cars would have loved to meet each other and my wife could have practiced her French:-)
Are the plates original to the car?

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 05:18:13 »
I did a similar trip in a hire car not to many years ago.  I envy you doing it in a Pagoda, it looked fantastic from the photos.

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 06:52:45 »
Great photo's great trip. I did this in reverse order in an RV with the family. I drive my Pagoda regularly at 4500-5000 rpms. You get used to the noise...

Peter
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 15:03:26 by Peter van Es »
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 14:21:26 »
Thanks for sharing your story and wonderful photographs of your car! The photo by the ozean with the sunset is spectacular, you should have it framed :)

I too did a similar trip in 2011 (following the route you describe partially anyway), with my then Z4 is BMW, I always wanted to do a top down trip along highway 1 along the coast and that year I did. My trip however was over 7,000 KM and I do confess going thru the Mojave Desert I put the retractable hard top up and the A/C on :) My trip took me all the way from Ontario Canada to Chicago then followed Route 66 (mostly along expressways turning onto the old Route 66 whenever I could). Picked up my daughter at the Vages Airport, she had to attend a conference in LA. Unlike yourself Oz we did not stop in Vages my daughter had no interest other then going thru Mojave Desert and up to the Napa Wine Valley before we made our way over to the coast and down to LA. Once I dropped my daughter in LA I made my way up again along the coastal highway all the way to Origin before heading back inland toward Canada. Needless to say it was a fantastic trip. Perhaps I can repeat that trip in my Pagoda some day that would be super :) Well I can dream about it anyway.

(Photo below was taken on Coastal Highway 1 going North toward Origin)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 14:29:08 by Rolf-Dieter »
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

GGR

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 14:50:43 »
Rolf,

so you must have crossed the Rocky Mountains somewhere up North. Where exactly? Do you have pictures of that passage? I am asking because when I went the Yellowstone National Park with the Pagoda, I exited via the North-Eastern gate and headed back East via Montana. That passage in the Rocky Mountains is breathtaking, very similar to the Alps. I promised myself to go back with the Pagoda again and explore the Rocky Mountains further North-West from that point. 

gimp

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 15:23:39 »
Beautiful car & nice pictures
Yes I remember my first trip on the hwy after many years,
I was extremely uncomfortable with the high RPM's, however after the first 8 hrs
I got accustomed to them.
Frank

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 17:37:05 »
GGR, I went east thru Portland OR on my way to Mount Rushmore. That portion of the trip was taken during the night and I had rain so not much to be seen.

GGR

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 17:58:44 »
Sorry you couldn't enjoy the nice mountain sceneries. Here is my Pagoda at Mont Rushmore, see in the background:

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 19:26:00 »
GGR, I had many sunny days during my Mother of All Trips [4 weeks in all] ... BDW it was closer to 8,000 KM for the round trip. I'll send you a PM with some photo links. I don't wish to highjack kampala's fun Thanksgiving thread :)

kampala, the drive thru the Mojave Desert was the wish of my daughter our drive thru there was in July and at one spot there were we stopped 6 feet below sea level the temperature was 125 F, once we got back to higher ground (you properly know the spot) the temperature changed to 70 F (quite a temperature difference within an hour or so drive). The temperature was one of the reasons we made our drive thru the Mojave Desert with the A/C at full blast :) As mentioned earlier, I love to do this trip in my Pagoda, I know she is good for it, I had no issues when I undertook a 1,600 mile round trip to Williamsburg last year.

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 20:13:55 »
Sounds like a popular route that many have done -- glad to hear.   Appreciate your comments. 

I don't think I would want to go through these deserts in the summer in the Pagoda -- in Rolf's previous Z4 sound like a treat though. 

John, regarding the plates --- these california black plates were not on this car when I bought it --- the plates are original california black plates so I had them assigned to this car via the "year of manufacture" program.

250sl - later - manual

Aslam

GGR

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 21:10:40 »
I don't think I would want to go through these deserts in the summer in the Pagoda

That's my Coupe in the Death Valley in July 2009. It was so hot that the spare tire blew up in the trunk! I wasn't in the car when it happened, as I discovered it in the evening when I opened the trunk.

pdc

• Senior
  • Belgium, West-Vlaanderen, Koksijde
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 07:19:44 »
Like your 2 pictures GGR, the one in Death Valley is on my desktop from now on

Thanks for posting them

Pascal
late 67  250SL
4 speed manual
Euro version
Pascal

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 22:34:13 »
Dear Oz,

What a great trip - what a great idea. ;) ;D

Would have loved to join you.

We must do this trip again with a couple of Pagodas once.
Only so hard (and far) to get my car over to your destination... ???

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience

Achim

Achim
(Germany)

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2014, 03:58:20 »
GGR -- tire blow-out in the trunk!  Wow!  Thats a great photo in the desert.

Achim -- We can do the trip again and next time maybe we can convince some of the other Pagodas from Southern California to join.   Then we could make it up to see 49er's Original treasure --- that would be cool.   Not in the summer time though! 

250sl - later - manual

Aslam

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2014, 19:46:20 »
GGR -- tire blow-out in the trunk!  Wow!  Thats a great photo in the desert.

Achim -- We can do the trip again and next time maybe we can convince some of the other Pagodas from Southern California to join.   Then we could make it up to see 49er's Original treasure --- that would be cool.   Not in the summer time though!  

We would welcome a visit. Our driveway will probably hold at least a dozen Pagodas and we will serve some of our great El Dorado County wine (after a nice spirited drive through the "Gold Country" foothills of course:-). After all this wonderful rain we have been having, it ought to be mighty  nice up here come spring.

John
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 02:26:35 by 49er »
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010