Author Topic: Should holes in interior cross member be plugged?  (Read 4157 times)

rutger kohler

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • New Zealand, Auckland, Auckland
Should holes in interior cross member be plugged?
« on: August 26, 2013, 08:56:14 »
Hi, I am labouriously removeing the old carpet adhesive in my car after removing the old carpet.  In doing so I have noticed there are six holes, about 5/8" dia or 16mm on the bottom front of the cross member, that runs behind the seats, insdie the cabin. There are three holes each side right down at floor level.  Mine are open and I would have thought they would normally have a rubber bung or plug in them? Should they have rubber plugs in them? 
1969 280 SL Manual gear shift
1972 280SE 3.5 auto

andyburns

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • New Zealand, Auckland, Drury
Re: Should holes in interior cross member be plugged?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 09:15:35 »
Mine were open with no plugs.  I would also suggest while your carpets are all out that you take the opportunity to blow some cavity wax through all those cross members.  I have 5 tubes of 3M wax ready to fire.  Am contemplating drilling a few holes through the inner sill panels so I can properly protect them.
Andy Burns, Auckland New Zealand
1963 230sl
1967 250s w108
1969 BMW 2002
2007 Mitsubishi i car

rutger kohler

• Associate Member
  • Gold
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 06:20:01 »
Hi Andy, thanks for that, a bit unusual to have the holes open, from new, I would have thought, can anyone else comment  plse?
1972 280SE 3.5 auto

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 06:49:55 »
The holes are open, no bungs.

rutger kohler

• Associate Member
  • Gold
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 20:21:43 »
OK thank you both, got it
1972 280SE 3.5 auto

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 15:36:17 »
While searching the site for "detailed and precise" information about which body and frame holes need rubber plugs, I came across this thread.

Although the holes in the cross members under and behind the seats appear not to have been plugged for the 230SLs, the 250SLs and early 280SLs, the EPC calls for (6) A1134870044 plugs for the holes in the cross member below the seats and (3) in the cross member below the auxiliary seat for 280SLs beginning with 044 005620.

My 67 230SL has only (5) 20 mm holes in the cross member below the seats (2 driver side and 3 passenger side) and (3) 20 mm holes in the cross member below the auxiliary seat (forward of kinder seat).  I don't know why they waited until the 280SL series to begin to plug those holes, but the holes are so near the floor that if a car gets caught in a rain storm with the top down, water will get in the cross members and there is almost no way to get the water out without drilling holes and purging them with lots of air flow to dry them.

I'm going to plug mine now that they have been treated with rust preventative.

By the way, I'm really disappointed to find so little "detailed" information about which plugs and grommets go where in a car that has been so popular for 51 years.  The BBB, Chilton's and Haynes are useless for body information; and the EPC is so general and often so wrong that it too is almost useless for body stuff.  Grommets and plugs appear in the sketches as a couple of pixels to show that something goes somewhere, but no detailed information.   MB's current pride in the "marque" was not demonstrated in the 1960s by their confidence in the longevity of the cars they produced, so they gave repairs what my mother would have called, "a lick and a promise", i.e., a minor effort now and a promise to do better later.

As I restore mine, I will continue to document everything I do and if I still have any energy left when it's complete, I'll publish it.

Tom Kizer
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)