Author Topic: BBB Big Blue Book  (Read 6331 times)

Rodolfo

BBB Big Blue Book
« on: February 05, 2014, 21:49:26 »
Hi,

I have an 1966 230 SL. Now I use the Haynes manual (see photo) and an OWM manual from Autobooks TM (see other photo).

I am diving deep in the rear axle and differential for instance.

If I purchase a BBB, will I have more details or is everything already covered in the two books I own, and no more details in BBB?

If the BBB is interesting, what issue should I have?

best regards, Rudy

(113 042 10 015364 VIN)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
Re: BBB Big Blue Book
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 23:41:30 »
Yes, you should have it.  You should get the earlier of the two, the one that starts with passenger cars starting 1959.   Get the latest release you find, or just get one and it will be OK.     The earlier ones have better images but might not have all of the updates...   Do not get the one that starts with 1967 - 1972, that isn't as useful for you.   I have a 1967 250 SL so I have both.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 09:14:46 »
Rudy... check this... http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Documents/BBB

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 12:45:34 »
Or just use the search function... ::)

The BBB is great, but it's no silver bullet. There's as much if not more usable info on this forum, and lots of great tips that the BBB does not contain. I have all the relevant BBBs, but always find the forum links and threads (using the search function) have at least as good if not better info, including pragmatic workarounds on cars that are 50 years old. The BBB was written for new cars, and technicians with all the right tools and training. 
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 17:24:48 »
The BBB is great, but it's no silver bullet. There's as much if not more usable info on this forum, and lots of great tips that the BBB does not contain. I have all the relevant BBBs, but always find the forum links and threads (using the search function) have at least as good if not better info, including pragmatic workarounds on cars that are 50 years old. The BBB was written for new cars, and technicians with all the right tools and training. 
...but it is better in most ways than a Haynes manual.  The problem with the BBB is that it references special Mercedes tools.  The good part of the BBB is that it is usually correct and complete and has good photographs.  The forum is excellent for people's "how I did this project" stuff.  The forum and the BBB are both extremely useful.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California