Author Topic: New Ignition switch no starter  (Read 3275 times)

garymand

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, Meadow Vista
New Ignition switch no starter
« on: October 21, 2013, 01:32:08 »
I just replaced my early 250SL ignition switch and now with the dash board all back together, the starter is not activated by the start position.  It feels normal with the full start rotation to the start position and the lockout that won't let you re-start the started motor.  But I' not going to panic.  Someone out there must have some experience with this and know what I need to do.  I don't think I left a wire off and I remember seeing a comment by someone in England who had their switch replaced, it wouldn't activate the started and they went back in and did something to fix it.  

Knowledge of this issue?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 03:50:47 by garymand »
Gary
Early 250SL German version owned since 71, C320, R350, 89 Porsche 944 Turbo S

garymand

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, Meadow Vista
Re: New Ignition switch no starter
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 03:50:14 »
Checked out the tech manual and found the wiring diagrams and even a pic of the switch.  I also found a cut out under the dash so I can see the bottom of the ignition switch and see that it is definitely mounted correctly.  There is a key on the switch and a notch in the lock that must be aligned and they are squarely above the cut out.  the only pin I can see is the battery 12 volts.  From the back I can see the violet lead that should go next to the  Bat but it isn't.  I think some how I miss wired it and am wondering why there's no smoke or blown fuse.  

I also found the starter lead goes to the thermal time switch and I can start the car with a jumper switch.  But I'll have to pull the gauges to get to that switch.  The heater housing is exactly in the way of accessing the starter switch from behind.  I should have tried the starter switch before putting the gauges back in, but the oilm line is open.  I now think a squirt of oil would have been worth it.

Good news: the stage 2 clutch is indeed a very heavy duty clutch.  It releases in the first 20% of pedal travel, takes extra pressure but feels well as it connects.  

The LED dash lights look fine.  I had to grind down a few to get them into the holes.  they are wider than stock.   but now the dimmer actually makes sense.  I couldn't get a LED into the clock but it doesn't need it.  The clock works again thanks to all the pointers  and solder as a new fuse.

The new aftermarket cable is about 6 inch too short to comfortably reach the clip on the cross shaft scaffold.  I'm not sure what to do about that yet.  
Gary

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 06:14:09 »
Hi Gary,

Was the Ignition Switch a "like for like" replacement ?
The early 250 cars did not have an "accessory" position on the switch, and that can cause a problem if later type parts have been fitted.

My early Ignition Key Mechanical switch wore out & fell to bits, last year, and a newer type was used to replace it, by the garage I use, and since then the parking lights do not function correctly - they operate when ignition is off, but not when key is removed.
I suspect there is some rotational displacement between an Early electrical and Later mechanical assembly
It is a non urgent job for me to look at sometime....

Interested to know what you find

Paul
Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)

garymand

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, Meadow Vista
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 17:48:58 »
 The new switch is identical.  It is an early 250 with the screw on connections.  Iknow at least 2 wires are on the wronmg tabs: 1) the starter connection is in the wrong place and 2) I drove it this morning with the lights on. when I turn on the head lights, the lights to my radio go out.  I'm not sure what circuit that is but its not the same as the rest of my dash lights.  I will have to investigate.

It is appaently either vary hard to get the wires off one-at-a-time and get them on the right tabs or ??.  I don't think I took off more than one screw at a time.  So much for a 'fool-proof process'

I have the old switch and the terminals are the very same and numbered the same.  And it looks to be the same as the on-line manual picture of the dusty ignition switch.  Mine just worked the bent metal holddowns loose and the plastic housing was rotaing a little.  When I put some force on the wires to pull it out, the switch came apart, so I can't guarantee it is back together right and testable as a reference. 

I'm using a jumper to start the car until I have time to pull the speedo and re-assess my assembly process, probably Saturday.
Gary