Author Topic: Convertible Soft Top "Latch" for Rear  (Read 3447 times)

n/a

Convertible Soft Top "Latch" for Rear
« on: July 27, 2004, 07:43:15 »
The "latch" on the rear (under the plastic window) will not stay in place when the top is up and secured for driving (it keeps "poping up" when you drive)....I think the "hook" located on the rear center of the softop may be worn and unable to stay in place.  The cables and "locking" mechanism all seem fine to me.  Can the "hook" be replaced?  anyone have any suggestions?

Dan

Richard Madison

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
Re: Convertible Soft Top "Latch" for Rear
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 08:54:23 »
Soft tops shrink a bit and can become difficult to latch. Solution might be to stretch the top a bit...one way to do this is to open the top on a warm day and beat each section with two fists so the canvas gives little. There may be a diagram for a mechanical stretcher here if you search for "stretch".

A solution that worked for me was to move the black box that holds the hooking mechanism located in the center of the soft top compartment. The black box is held by 4 bolts which can be adjusted in the elongated bolt holes. Try moving the box to the highest position to see if that helps.

None of these tricks will work if the hook is seriously bent. You can test the hook by dropping the rear down when the front pins are not engaged to see if the hook works when the top is loose.

Richard M
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

hauser

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 19:49:34 »
I totally agree with Richard. Latch the back first then the front and see if this works. I would also make sure the locking mechanism is working. If its a very old top it will only stretch so much, you will most likely need to replace it.

1969 280sl 5 spd        1999 ML320          Gainesville,Fl.

Douglas

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 19:58:39 »
This is a question for Gernold up at SL Tech. His speciality is soft top frames. Give him a call and he can advise or sell you the necessary parts for repair.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

n/a

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 15:04:09 »
Thanks to all for your advise.....I did move the black box up to its highest level and that did the trick!!  All is good for now.....thanks again

Dan

n/a

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2004, 17:42:03 »
Hello Dan,
 I had the opposit problem, could not latch to release but is fixed
now just needed adjusting.
Pagoda Red

red kelly