Author Topic: no start - timing or fuel?  (Read 2390 times)

jedwards

no start - timing or fuel?
« on: October 30, 2015, 22:55:49 »
Gentlemen,
I have a no-start issue that is confusing me. The car has been super-reliable and ran beautifully until the other day.  I sent it off to have the paint perfected ahead of our local Classic Car show. The car was there for about 5 weeks while I was away. The painter called last week to say the car would not start. 
I suspected it was out of fuel, but when I got there, there was no spark. 

I had a Powerspark hall effect "points" unit installed, so  I replaced that and the coil  with Pertronix unit and now I have a good spark, but still no start.
The obvious culprits are timing or rule.
Changing these electronic unit dos change timing setting because of their different designs, or so I set the car to TDC, checked lobes were at 10 to 2,  and aligned the rotor with the slot on the distributor body, but not even a hint of it wanting to start.   Is there a better way?

Today I plan to tackle the fuel question, in case it was low and pike up some tank rust or crap which has now blocked he system.
What is the best technique for testing fuel supply? I cracks the line at the CSV and have pressure but that fed from the supply side before the injector pump.
Should I crack the line at each injector?

Any advice hugely appreciated.

jedwards

The culprit was the CVS in the end
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 06:37:23 »
Got there in the end, but the culprit was a little  unexpected. 

After most of day working through everything step by step, I had ruled out spark and timing. 
That left fuel.  I had either a massive under-fuel or over fuel problem.
I popped off the fuel sender and looked down in the tank with the pump running. Good return volume and the pick-up filter looked  good and clean. Cracked the CSV fuel line and got a spray, so certainly enough fuel to allow it to run. That left over-fuel which to me meant the CSV.
Pulled it out and sure enough, a bit of perished O-ring from the solenoid had jammed the valve open. As soon as ignition was switched on, the open CSV would flood the engine.  Two days and $140 worth of  new Petronics unit and coil, and in the end, a 2 minute fix.
Always the way.