Author Topic: small e-clip on sterring colume  (Read 2155 times)

james

small e-clip on sterring colume
« on: August 21, 2006, 14:43:12 »
I recently installed new bushings in the end of the steering col.on
my 230sl.
before I discovered the way to do it correcly I disconnected the steering col.at the top(wheel) and I am now putting it back together.

I beleive the shaft has moved towards the steering box. Now my e-clip at the center of the shaft will not go on.(the one that holds the bearing)on the center.
1. should I losen the clamp that holds the new bushing? both or just one and how do you know which one?
2. should I put a puller on the shaft and hope that it moves up slightly? and leave the clamp alone.
thanks in advance
Jim

Jim

enochbell

Re: small e-clip on sterring colume
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 16:23:42 »
James,

I have had mine apart for cleaning/regreasing and did not have a problem, but I would caution against moving the shaft.  Does it have play?  If so, you probably have an issue at the other end.  If not, using a puller will tension the shaft in the box and I don't think you want that either.  I would also check the bearing against the old one to make sure they are exactly the same width, Mercedes might just have more than one bearing for this application.

Best,

g

'64 230sl, fully sorted out...ooops, spoke too soon

james

Re: small e-clip on sterring colume
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 16:48:37 »
thanks for your help......but I think I did not explain myself.
i am putting the same bearing back into the top of the shaft. it has
no play. This is the one that drives into the aluim housing that the
turn signals are attached to. the large e-clip is on ok but the small
one that goes around the shaft has moved down the col. and did fit fine before i removed the e-clip.
thanks Jim

Jim