Author Topic: speedometer removal  (Read 7962 times)

Don

speedometer removal
« on: December 01, 2011, 02:32:46 »
In trying to remove my speedometer, I have already removed the front bottom piece of the heater; the radio and dash speaker and the two heater cables on the drivers side. I can't get the defroster plenum on the drivers side to come out and I'm not sure if it's hung up on the windshield wiper linkage.  If anybody can tell me what needs to come out and in what order, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Don

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: speedometer removal
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 05:10:16 »
Hi Don. I think you may be approaching things from the wrong side. Usually, the speedometer is reached only after the tachometer then the center cluster are removed. None of it is simple but very doable -- and there are lots of tips here and in the tech manual. Good luck.
James
63 230SL

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 06:22:02 »
Don,

Before you start to try to access the dash it makes it a whole lot easier if you centre the wipers in the middle of the screen by turning off the ignition when they are half way round. This will make it easier to remove the tach cable without being a contortionist. Normally you don't need to remove the centre gauges. It is often suggested not to do this as disconnection of the oil and water temp lines can cause a disaster. Suggest you pull the centre console out a bit only to provide a bit of room to access the speedo through the empty tach hole. Do not remove the water and oil gauge feeds to the centre console and also remember to remove the electrical connectors and bracket on the right underside of the dash.

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 09:28:17 »
I agree with Garry with respect to the wipers, remove the ignition keys and hide them until
finished, you don't want to have the wipers start up while your hand is up there :(
Also things are a bit easier if you remove the steering wheel.
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 14:13:14 »
Yes, good points about the center gauge. Be very cautious with the capillary line -- it can be pulled out a bit without disconnecting things to get to the speedo. Oh and before you go in, disconnect the battery. There are live wires under there.
James
63 230SL

Don

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 15:28:15 »
Thanks to all of you for responding.  I hadn't thought of attacking it from that side, especially since I'm so close from the other side and only need to get the defroster plenum out of the way. I also believe the defroster plenum is in the way of getting at the back of the tach as well. I'll crawl under again today and re assess things, after I check the tech manual.

Thanks again,
Don

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 05:10:19 »
Hello Don,

Start off by removing the steering wheel. The center pad pops off then just one 22mm nut to remove. Nextfremove  the left lower dash pad (three screws), next remove the two screws holding the metal bracket holding two large electrical plugs under the dash and move it out of the way.  This will give you a lot more room to get to the next step. Next remove the knurled thumb nut holding the tachometer in and remove the tack. Next remove the thumb nut holding the center cluster in and move it outward for more room, At this point you should be able to get to the speedometer with ease. Notice the two brown wires hooked under the thumbscrews of the speedo and tach. You will need to put them on during re-assembly. I never tried the wiper trick, but I will have to give it a try next time.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 10:00:23 »
The 'wiper trick' helps a lot on RHD not sure about LHD.
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

Don

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 17:53:02 »
Thanks to JA17 and Gnuface for their additional comments. I will try these suggestions in the spring when I get the car out of winter storage.
Thx again to all that replied.
Don

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 00:26:23 »
I have done this many times..  the easiest is remove tach, push center out a little then the speedo.

I have just pulled the speedo but it takes time and patience.  especially when re installing the rear bracket.

tip:  wrap some tape around the knurled nuts and leave a tail an inch or so.  that gives you something to grab onto if you drop it or just need to wiggle it into place...
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230