Author Topic: Heater Blower Motor Upgrade  (Read 6380 times)

shanghaitom

Heater Blower Motor Upgrade
« on: March 21, 2011, 19:45:12 »
I am restoring a 1970 280SL and have completely disassembled the heating unit.  As many have commented, the airflow from the Behr blower is lacking.  I work at SPAL, an Italian maker of fans and blowers, and asked our tech department to see what they could do.  Because we don't offer a blower motor as a bolt-in replacement, the tech wizards took a blower motor (model A45) from a standard SPAL blower, and retrofitted it into the Behr unit.  It required drilling holes in the motor housing for the two horizontal bolts that hold it in place and affixing a 3 speed resistor to reduce current draw for the car's existing electrical system.

The resistor is 3 speeds, but only low and medium are hooked up, which seems to offer plenty of airflow over the standard.  However, I have yet to install it in the vehicle.  Attached are a couple pictures of the before and after.  You will see that the resistor is placed near the blower wheel to offer adequate airflow. 

Hope you find it interesting!

Cheers,
Tom

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Re: Heater Blower Motor Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 14:01:50 »
Nice work

When do you start taking orders on these units? ;)
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

shanghaitom

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 14:22:56 »
If anyone has interest, I'd be happy to pass along the contact info for the guy that actually did the work!

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 02:05:01 »
Tom,
I bought a SPAL Type 017-A40-22 to replace the air conditioner blower in the car.  I was wondering what to do to improve the heater blower.  Just today, I pulled the blower and heater core out.  What would be an approximate cost to make a kit with all the parts one would need?

Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe