Author Topic: cleaning injectors  (Read 3961 times)

geezer

cleaning injectors
« on: January 06, 2010, 01:42:45 »
I'm still in the process of resurrecting my '72 280SE barn find with it's M130 engine.  The issue that I am working on now is it looks like 1 or 2 injectors are leaking down.  After the car has sat for about 30 minutes the engine starts and runs rough for a few seconds and then smooths right out.  My concern is 2 fold; I don't like the fact that the engine starts on less than all cylinders, and I'm concerned about gas washing down the cylinders.

Today I spoke to 3 fuel system shops about ultrasonic cleaning my injectors.  When I mentioned gasoline I was treated like I had leprosy.  None use the process for cleaning parts but confirmed that ultrasonic cleaning is the right thing to do.  Once cleaned all said that they would be happy to test the injectors.

Since I have a small ultrasonic cleaner I would like to know what cleaning media I should use. 

As a last resort I will replace the injectors with new, I just hate spending $100.00 each right now.

w113dude

Re: cleaning injectors
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 02:40:41 »
If you use a good quality ultrasonic cleaner with high wattage & heated tank should do the job, the little ones aren't powerful enough to go through thick metal chunks.

geezer

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 02:45:40 »
So what is a "good quality cleaner"?  The only thing that I have found is a powder that mixes with water.  I'm not excited about introducing water into the injectors.

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 15:00:04 »

My concern is 2 fold; I don't like the fact that the engine starts on less than all cylinders, and I'm concerned about gas washing down the cylinders.

Your problem may not be with injectors but with the check valves on the pump.
A couple may be leaking and not holding pressure in the fuel lines, so the pressure has to build up when you restart the engine before they can crack the injectors.

You can visually check the injectors to see if one or two are stuck open.

naj
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 15:03:35 by naj »
68 280SL