Author Topic: Converting a 230SL Automatic to a 4 Speed Manual  (Read 7036 times)

perry113

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, NY, Rensselaer
    • http://picasaweb.google.com/peterperry911113/1970280SECoupe#
Converting a 230SL Automatic to a 4 Speed Manual
« on: April 07, 2009, 13:33:07 »
As much as I've grown to love my 230SL auto, when I drive my friends 230SL 4 speed manual I start getting an itch to own a manual. I like the way they drive. You can drive it spiritly around town and car just feels more agile on the road. I love my car and I know what I have under the hood. i know the history and I love the colors.

Rather than sell my car to buy a 4 speed. I would like to put togther an estimate parts list and explore the possibility of converting it. The only way I would do it would be to do it exactly as the factory set them up. I'm not interested in a 5 speed conversion unless its and original ZF. It would have to be an original setup.

As a purist, I'm going against my own religion. But thinking about isn't a sin, is it?

Has anyone done a conversion and documented the process?

What do I need to change other than gearbox and linkage, flywheel, pedal assemblies, etc.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 11:42:46 by 280SL71 »
Peter Perry
1970 911T Bahia Red
1972 911T Albert Blau
1963 220seb coupe barn
1965 230SL Light Ivory automatic
1966 230SL Havana Brown 4 speed Barn Find
1970 280SE living 3.5 donor car

mkbull

Re: Converting a 230SL automotic to 4 speed manual configuation
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 19:57:50 »
well I guess its been done but you will have problems to resolve  - it would be a bit easier if you were doing this to a 280sl

1 the flywheel needs changed to a manual version - however you cant just use any 230 flywheel (without modification) since the 230 versions are counterbalaced ie. specifically balanced with their original crankshaft and damper - you will need to use your existing auto flywheel (as a reference) to re-engineer a donor 230 manual flywheel. the crankshaft will need a new bearing inserted in the flywheel end ( the auto version does not have this).

2 you need a manual pedal set - the clutch master cylinder is attached to the clutch pedal.

3 propshaft altered - possible to lengthen an auto version but better if you could just acquire an original when you acquire the manual gearbox.

personally I think this would be a lot of pain for little gain. ----- put a 5 speed getrag in there........( I  think I am allowed to suggest such heracy inside R and D).

Good Luck
Mark

psmith

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 06:03:15 »
Hi Peter,

I know where you're coming from, I have a 230 auto too.  I was underwhelmed with the performance until I learned to drive it like an "autostickshift"  As I'm sure you know, the transmission shifts on both RPM and vacuum.  But it also holds in the gear you want.  I typically start out in "3" which actually starts in 2nd and automatically shifts to 3rd depending on how hard I lean on it.  But it stays in 3rd all the way to redline if I want.  When I flick the lever to "4" it shifts there much faster then I could with a clutch.  I typically drive around town shifting up and down between "3" and "4" depending on traffic.  Start in "2" (which starts in 1st) and floor it for a nice adrenaline rush.  I shifted my way through the Autocross last year at Starfest here in California and it worked great. 

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 08:07:00 »
Perry,

You may ant to check the website of this company: http://www.pagoden-center.de/

Go to the customization page. They do the conversions of this type and enjoy a very strong quality image. While they are located in Germany, they may recommend somebody closer to you.

Stan
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA