Author Topic: 1 Second CSV Relay  (Read 22025 times)

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
Re: 1 Second CSV Relay
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2009, 02:21:22 »
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2009, 08:55:30 »
I connected a lamp from 85 to battery positive 31 to battery earth and the lamp lit. I then touched 86 to positive to energise the relay and the lamp went out. However it is taking about 15 seconds to relight when power is removed from terminal 86, should this not be 1 second? If so how should I clean/adjust it? I have taken the relay apart and can see a screw but don't want to touch anything without advice.

Hello, David,

I have tested a couple of these relays recently and one second is the time it takes the lamp to go out, or the CSV solenoid to be energised.

Yes, it takes 15 to 20 sec to reset, so if you kept recranking the engine, it would not get flooded with fuel.

naj
68 280SL

DavidBrough

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2009, 11:58:00 »
Thanks Naj & Bob. I'm gradually beginning to understand how the things supposed to work and will spend some time over Easter with a wiring diagram and an ice pack to see if I can make it do what its supposed to.

DavidBrough

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2009, 13:52:23 »
Well after much messing about and no inconsiderable hands on assistance from Bryn Jones another local Pagoda owner, the 1 second relay finally works.

There were three issues with the parts as supplied which made things very difficult:-

1.   The supplied harness had two contact pins missing.
2.   The supplied relay didn’t provide a sufficiently strong earth due to dirty contacts/insufficient closed pressure.
3.   The supplied harness was reverse wired as it connected terminals 86 to 85 not 86 to 86.

I had already realised that the harness was two pins missing but then noticed that the relay contacts could be broken by simply tapping the unit so I spent some time resetting the contacts and was convinced it should then work. No such luck, so I set about testing and checking the wiring and after much messing about it came to light that the harness contacts were cross wired so I switched them round and bingo alls now well.

However, after all that, I’m not immediately sure it starts any better, time will tell.

Thanks everyone.