Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Concours/Resto Mod Restoration Shop
« Last post by zoegrlh on Today at 17:19:52 »
Good answer Mike, if he has that much money sent it off to shop that knows what they are doing.
General Discussion / Re: Concours/Resto Mod Restoration Shop
« Last post by mdsalemi on Today at 16:46:23 »
I thought the April fools jokes were long past.

If you have a client so situated, then they have basically endless amounts of money. Since there’s no substitute for experience, why don’t they just buy a Mechatronic or send the car over there?
I have a 230 sl which has an R11 pump and is initially presenting as a cold start issue first start of the day is a little slow to get going and will predictably run for 2 seconds first crank, the proceed to die and on second crank will run beautifully and go through the full warm up cycle without hesitation. after testing every piece of the cold start system nothing seems to be at fault I even checked my fuel pump check valves which seem to be in working order as it seemed to be a fuel delivery issue, the caveat to the story is the longer it sits the worse the start up becomes, after a weekend it will run on 3-4 cylinders and die multiple times until finally finding a happy running condition. I am suspicious of the injection pump itself and the possibility of fuel in the injection lines dissipating into the oil system however I cannot smell fuel in the oil so hesitant to condemn the pump.

any info tips or tests to confirm a leaky pump or knowledge on the typical conditions of the pump and injection lines at rest is greatly appreciated. I am rather versed in Mercedes Benz cars so don't be afraid to lay it all out!
Electrical and Instruments / Re: automatic return of windshield wipers
« Last post by loic on Today at 15:23:02 »
This is not about the return location. It was the windshield wiper that stopped anywhere on the windshield. I have reread the technical manual carefully. After verification and deduction, the problem could only come from the electrical harness. And I found. In fact the connector on the motor was oxidized. So I cleaned and everything works now. THANKS.
Il ne s'agit pas de l'emplacement du retour. c'est l'essuie glace qui s'arrêtait n'importe où sur le pare-brise. J'ai bien relu le manuel technique. Après vérification et déduction, le problème ne pouvait venir que du faisceau électrique. Et j'ai trouvé. En fait le connecteur sur le moteur était oxydé. J'ai donc nettoyé et tout fonctionne à présent. Merci.
General Discussion / Concours/Resto Mod Restoration Shop
« Last post by RamAir on Today at 14:29:26 »
I have a 280SL that is a solid original body and chassis that has had an older cosmetic restoration. My client is interested in having the car restored to concours condition with modern upgrades similar to what Mechatronik is doing in Germany with installing an AMG V8. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Electrical and Instruments / Slotted nut. (Speedometer problem)
« Last post by loic on Today at 14:11:24 »
Seen on a message : "my speedometer needle was somehow moving and we determined that the problem was probably that the slotted nutslotted nut that holds the driveshaft flange to the transmission had become loose." It's my problem.
Question : where is this slotted nut. Can you post a photo. and how to tighten it. Thanks
Bonjour,
Puisque vous êtes un participant à part entière, vous avez accès au manuel technique et au système d'essuie-glace et son emplacement de parking est bien couvert.

https://www.sl113.org/wiki/ChassisBody/Wipers

Since you are a full member, you have access to the technical manual and the wiper system and it's parking location is covered nicely.
hello
thanks for the replies.

i went out before work on a very humid morning and found that the disti had popped out of the drive gear.
this is using the 123 clamp which is thicker than the oem.

will swap back to the mb clamp and try again.

now i am wondering if there is a memory in the 123 that needs to be cleared since it did work for a few minutes.
Have you tracked the other end? Maybe someone installed the vacuum line attached for the body vacuum port - just easily connect vacuum gauge?
I always get confused with TDC...compression stroke

Found this to be useful: https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/how-to-find-an-engine-s-top-dead-center-by-ed-ruelas
For timing, the #1 piston at TDC on the compression stroke is the ONLY thing that matters. Note in the simple instructions on the link above, one of the first things they are having you do is ensure you are on the compression stroke.

If you are on the exhaust stroke (or "other") I don't think you'd see the marks line up on the balancer as it would be 180 degrees out...right?

When using a timing light after the fact--engine running and all that--you may find that the numbers and timing are hard to read. With the engine stopped and in near TDC position, best to clean the markings area and maybe highlight with white crayon or similar so you can better see with the strobe...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10