Author Topic: Hood: Repair or Buy Another?  (Read 7923 times)

cabrioletturbo

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Canada, Ontario, Ottawa
Hood: Repair or Buy Another?
« on: February 02, 2015, 20:17:23 »
The hood on my 230SL is inch short of being junk; there is a patch of fiberglass in the middle (seems to be cut out at some point), it is smaller fit than what is actually needed, etc., etc...

So here is the dilemma:
1. Fix the damn thing (still open for ideas as to how); I thought of: fiberglass the whole surface; make fiberglass hood, have it made from scratch in aluminium
2. Buy another ($$$)

What do you think? Every advice will be seriously considered. Thanks!
Igor
1965 W113 230SL, Ivory with Black

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
Re: Hood: Repair or Buy Another?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 22:08:03 »
Find a welder proficient in aluminium and he may be able to add to the edge of the hood.     There was a local Pagoda that was in an accident in the 80's and a replacement hood (used) was resized to fit the wrong opening size.   The bodyman was either lazy or on crack as he fixed up the car with a very cockeyed front.  Fast forward several years and the new owner thinks there is something just not right with his car - he meausured a couple cars and sure enough its all wrong.  His bodyman straightened up the front of the car and was left with a gap at the front and passenger side front.   They welded a strip of aluminium (folded to match the profile) all along the front with spacers to get the right shape, ground it down flat then imperfections were bondo'd.  It was beautiful.

He told me that they did it "old school" and that it wasn't the proper method of repair as a German craftsman would have done it differently.   So maybe you need to find yourself a German craftsman for more ideas. 

Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
83 VF 1100C
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50
12 Pro 4X

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 22:17:30 »
If you want a new one buy it directly from the manufacturer in Poland:
http://www.retroteile.pl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12%3Apagodew113&catid=4%3Apagodew113&Itemid=9&lang=pl  scan down to nr. B024
... our board member "Flyair" has volunteered to help with translations, etc: http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=17474.msg120995#msg120995

otherwise: http://www.autonationpartsdirect.com/oe-mercedes-benz/1138800056
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 22:22:12 by 66andBlue »
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

cabrioletturbo

• Associate Member
  • Silver
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 22:21:00 »
Thanks Bonnyboy, I really like the idea, it is so common sense!

The body man working on my car did not consider this option, I may need to find a welder to do just the hood.
Thanks for the tip!

Find a welder proficient in aluminium and he may be able to add to the edge of the hood.     There was a local Pagoda that was in an accident in the 80's and a replacement hood (used) was resized to fit the wrong opening size.   The bodyman was either lazy or on crack as he fixed up the car with a very cockeyed front.  Fast forward several years and the new owner thinks there is something just not right with his car - he meausured a couple cars and sure enough its all wrong.  His bodyman straightened up the front of the car and was left with a gap at the front and passenger side front.   They welded a strip of aluminium (folded to match the profile) all along the front with spacers to get the right shape, ground it down flat then imperfections were bondo'd.  It was beautiful.

He told me that they did it "old school" and that it wasn't the proper method of repair as a German craftsman would have done it differently.   So maybe you need to find yourself a German craftsman for more ideas. 

Igor

cabrioletturbo

• Associate Member
  • Silver
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 23:34:35 »
66andblue,

At this time these options are cost prohibitive.
. I do however like Poland option, they have many good parts it seems.

If you want a new one buy it directly from the manufacturer in Poland:
http://www.retroteile.pl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12%3Apagodew113&catid=4%3Apagodew113&Itemid=9&lang=pl  scan down to nr. B024
... our board member "Flyair" has volunteered to help with translations, etc: http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=17474.msg120995#msg120995

otherwise: http://www.autonationpartsdirect.com/oe-mercedes-benz/1138800056
Igor

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 13:42:49 »
When my car was restored 14 years ago, I faced a dilemma; I had a "junkyard hood" that didn't fit properly. The restorer, a pretty accomplished body man, said he could work with the old hood, but by the time all is said and done it is likely that the cost might exceed that of a new one. I had the additional issue of the hood partially stripped to bare metal and sadly, rough sanded--something you don't want to do with aluminum. The amount of work required on that junkyard hood was look excessive.

The new hood was a known entity, a set procedure for making it fit and no mysteries. I chose this option. At that time, the new hood (sourced from MB at $1,700) was readily available and I don't think there were reproductions.

I'm well aware that money is often a deciding factor but sometimes in order to save a dollar, you end up spending $5.

With other threads talking about the high and higher values of these cars, think carefully about how you approach a major body repair.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 14:07:12 »
Igor, a couple things you might want to consider.  Is the hood original to that car?  You can check the number on the hood and compare it to the paint plate on the inside fender.  If it is original you may want to keep it and fix it.  It doesn't appear to be that important to Pagoda owners if the numbers on a car match but who knows what the future holds.  It also depends on how you feel about it, does it matter to you or not.  Some makes and brands are a little anal when it comes to "numbers matching".  If the hood is not the original to the car then it is all a moot point.

If you don't care if the hood is original to the car, how quickly do you need a hood?  Can you get by with the existing one until you find a second hand replacement?  You can troll e-bay and craig's list for another hood while you wait, as well as talk to people like Dan and Joe and let them know you are looking for a hood if they ever come across one.  Also talk to any restorers (Bud's etc) and let them know you are looking.  Lastly post it here that you need a hood.  It may take a year to find one at hopefully a better price than a new one.  You could also buy a roller if the price is right, take the hood and sell off the rest of it to recoup some of your costs (there is a 280SL parts car on Kijiji right now but I don't see a hood).  Depends on how much effort you want to put into it.  Just my 2c.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

cabrioletturbo

• Associate Member
  • Silver
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 14:44:44 »
Thank Michael

I do take it seriously the repair i am undertaking, but the hood is adding insult to the injury already. You raised all valid points.
i would not want to go through the process again, so fix it right once is the option.

When my car was restored 14 years ago, I faced a dilemma; I had a "junkyard hood" that didn't fit properly. The restorer, a pretty accomplished body man, said he could work with the old hood, but by the time all is said and done it is likely that the cost might exceed that of a new one. I had the additional issue of the hood partially stripped to bare metal and sadly, rough sanded--something you don't want to do with aluminum. The amount of work required on that junkyard hood was look excessive.

The new hood was a known entity, a set procedure for making it fit and no mysteries. I chose this option. At that time, the new hood (sourced from MB at $1,700) was readily available and I don't think there were reproductions.

I'm well aware that money is often a deciding factor but sometimes in order to save a dollar, you end up spending $5.

With other threads talking about the high and higher values of these cars, think carefully about how you approach a major body repair.
Igor

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 15:02:43 »
I would go with a new hood if I was in your shoes. Remember price is long forgotten when you think about the long term of the quality you will have.

Good Luck with the restoration!
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 17:43:03 »
I would go with a new hood if I was in your shoes. Remember price is long forgotten

No, I woudn't. >:(

Igor,
I can really only recommend to get your old hood repaired.
New ones are today far, far, far more expensive than (lousy) 1,700 $$;
yours doesn't look that bad ...!

I have seen several results of welded hoods; all of them had been extended by an extra strip of aluminium - great ...sometimes even outstanding work !  :o 8)
If yours isn't heavily damaged by previous accidents find someone who _knows_ and _is_ able to weld aluminum proper.
If the first mechanic can't do it, look for another one. Someone _can_ do it.

Saves you a lot of bucks which you painfully need on every other edge of a restoration project car ....

... Ask me how I know ....

My 2 cents...

Achim
Achim
(Germany)

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 17:59:44 »
Hi,
I also would recommend to repair the old one. New one's need more effort to adapt and are much more expensive.
See here: http://www.pagodentreff.de/diskussionsforum/t9708-alu-material-t-ren-haube-kofferraumdeckel.html.
....WRe

cabrioletturbo

• Associate Member
  • Silver
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 03:43:35 »
Thanks Achim,

I believe that is the route I am going to follow: repair the existing hood with the extra aluminium strip.
I have a welder I used in the past for aluminium welding.

Thanks all for the comments.

No, I woudn't. >:(

Igor,
I can really only recommend to get your old hood repaired.
New ones are today far, far, far more expensive than (lousy) 1,700 $$;
yours doesn't look that bad ...!

I have seen several results of welded hoods; all of them had been extended by an extra strip of aluminium - great ...sometimes even outstanding work !  :o 8)
If yours isn't heavily damaged by previous accidents find someone who _knows_ and _is_ able to weld aluminum proper.
If the first mechanic can't do it, look for another one. Someone _can_ do it.

Saves you a lot of bucks which you painfully need on every other edge of a restoration project car ....

... Ask me how I know ....

My 2 cents...

Achim

Igor

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 12:13:53 »
Igor, even after my suggestion of considering "new", you are taking the correct route here. With new hoods costing more than 3x what I paid, well over $5K now, that buys a LOT of body work. Here in Michigan, good body work is still in the $50/hr range, but that can change up or down depending on where you go of course. It is, for certain quite a bit lower than mechanical labor rates.

Rather than just a "welder familiar with aluminum" maybe you should call around, contact some MBCC and MBCA members and find the shops in the area that specialize in bodywork with aluminum. I know they are but a few of them here; if going the repair route I'd rather go with a body shop experienced with the material and let them do the whole thing. A welder welds; it's the afterwork and shaping which will make the difference.

Also, contact Dr. Benz (Dan Caron) as he generally contracts body work out. Having many 190s, 113s and even 300SLs under his belt surely he can make some astute recommendations.

Good luck!
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 19:14:17 »
When I look at your car a couple things come to mind. Are you sure your current hood isn't bent causing the size difference. The fact that there was a hole in it at one point leads me to believe it has had a rough life and too much crown in the panel will look like the hood is too narrow or too short.  Are you sure the fenders and front panel are where they are supposed to be?  It might be easier and far less costly to move the steel in rather than weld onto the edge of a hood that is comprised of 2 pieces of aluminum sandwiched together.  This is a very contaminated area to try and get a good weld on.

I think given what you have said I would contact several of the suppliers of used parts with the measurements of the hood opening(not your hood).  Measure across the top, across the middle and across the bottom. I would also measure the length in a couple of spots.  The fenders, cowl panel and front panel are butted together and welded as a unit.  Although variations in parts exist I think that the variation is probably slight which means hood sizes should be fairly consistent.  Perhaps you can find a used one that is slightly over sized and file it to fit.  I think a used hood would make a better repair for less money than trying to fix what you have.