Author Topic: new record "Cannonball Run"  (Read 8131 times)

pj

• Gold
  • Canada, ON, London, Ontario
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
new record "Cannonball Run"
« on: November 01, 2013, 04:35:42 »
Stumbled across this. . .
http://jalopnik.com/meet-the-guy-who-drove-across-the-u-s-in-a-record-28-h-1454092837/@maxread

One of the many reasons I decided to get a Pagoda to enjoy is that I was getting too many speeding tickets in my Acura. But this story really makes my competitive juices flow.
Peter J
1965 230SL #09474 named Dagny
2018 B250 4matic named Rigel

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
Re: new record "Cannonball Run"
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 09:55:18 »
pj,
great story. Ed seems almost like the hero of The last of the Mohicans :D

Amazing how large part of the story was taken by the blind man's buff game with all the anti-speeding measures, manned or not. And you are right, they take away the driving pleasure most of the time.

Unfortunately, such a game may not be possible anymore in the future, as the police is now using the city street cameras, highway cameras as well as other devices (toll points) to gather the time of you entry and exit on some particular chunks of the road and compute your average speed. No device one knows of is able to scramble that... If this comes to the US, the speed record in Cannoball Run reported here may be the last one :(
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 11:25:48 »
Also interesting is the approach taken. I would guess most Europeans would opt for a very economical Diesel car with excellent performance instead. E.g. a MB E 250 CDI, top speed 240 km/h (150 mph), but uses 5l/100km of diesel fuel average (47 mpg), perhaps twice that at top speed (23.5 mpg). With the standard 59l tank that would give it a range of at least 590 km as a standard car (when driven at more normal speeds, a range of almost 1000 km's is possible).

After all, on a race this long, it is the average speed that makes the difference, not the acceleration to that top speed (although the E250CDI is no slouch at 7.7s to 100km/h), and the amount of time not driving at that speed.

On a trip last year to our skiing destination a friend in his V8 Supercharged Range Rover and I in my puny 2.5 liter diesel Touareg left at the same time, drove the same route through Germany, in one day. We left very early (at 5 in the morning) to avoid most traffic. Needless to say, when we entered Germany he sped off in a cloud and left me virtually standing. I arrived, some 1250 km's later almost an hour earlier than he did. I needed to get fuel once, and he 2x. The second fuelling delay got him into more traffic around Geneva and he was toast. (Note: Speeding in Switzerland is not advised and we did not).

On the Cannonball run I would probably aim to optimize my route and take-off time in such a way that I'd hit the higher traffic density areas at times when traffic is light and optimize for that.

As Flyair said, here in the Netherlands we have these "average speed camera controls" over a number of sections on our motorways. They are very effective, because you see everyone slowing down to this speed. However, this is in a very busy area. If you are "breaking the law" for a record attempt anyway, why not go the whole hog and steal someone else's number plates? The point is with camera controls, they don't actually attempt to stop you…

Peter
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 11:37:50 by Peter van Es »
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Flyair

• Platinum
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 12:12:59 »
Peter
With plates other than original they might have difficulties to prove that this was the actual car used for the record setting... But I agree that this is a minor offence versus all the others on the list they committed on their way.

As a side remark: I gather in Europe admitting to offending law by disclosing all the details in an article such as the linked one would constitute a valid evidence for the police and the offender would end-up with his license revoked, car confiscated and a hefty fine directly charged to his bank account.

If this is not the case in the US, then it can be said that some freedom is still there :)  
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 14:00:09 by Flyair »
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

pj

• Gold
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 12:49:09 »
Maybe now that high-tech has made it nearly impossible to flout the law, tourism dollars will take over.
Like this: www.targanewfoundland.com/
Imagine if they turned the Cannonball Run into a reality show.
Peter J

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 15:43:39 »
Flyair… with a GPS tracker it would be a bit easier than with number plates… but I agree on the article… it sounds like an admission to me. Subpoena the GPS records and you've got him. That's why the previous record setter waited over a year before publicizing his record.

Peter
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 15:48:41 by Peter van Es »
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 15:47:15 »
pj: you could take your classic here: http://www.lacarrerapanamericana.com.mx

During the entire race the speed records are broken and competitors then welcomed into the stop-over cities by police and onlookers alike!

Peter

(ps: a Pagoda is not really the weapon of choice for the Carrera Panamericana, see this report about a friend of mine who did use one there)

pj

• Gold
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 16:10:18 »
Peter, I better quit while I'm ahead :-)
Those competitions are too tough for me. I barely survived parking lot slaloms!
Nowadays the idea of 5 or more Pagodas driving in convoy down a nice long highway is enough excitement for me.
Peter J

Flyair

• Platinum
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 19:17:41 »
Peter,
This race in Mexico looks like the real stuff. I heard about it from my Mexican friends that it is a genuine fiesta for tough guys. Wouldn't risk my dearly restored Pagoda on that one :o
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA