Author Topic: Pagoda in Carrera Panamericana  (Read 5051 times)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Pagoda in Carrera Panamericana
« on: November 19, 2008, 14:16:19 »
As I wrote earlier this year, a friend of mine took part in the Carrera Panamericana rally in the Historic B class (for 6-cylinder engines) with a 230SL with a 280SL engine. He's done really well, finishing the race without expensive support crews and no more than additional oil during the race. He had absolutely no mechanical problems.

The main problem he had was that although he started out just trying to finish, he was doing so well, and had so few problems, that he actually wanted to start moving up on the leadership board of the race. Most of his competitors had highly modified, improved or raceworthy cars. The key issues with the Pagoda were, as he put it succinctly: "400 kg's too many, 70 hp short". In the end he finished 31st overall, and 4th in class, and nr's 1, 2 and 3 all drove highly modified Porsche's 911. An excellent contribution I would say.

I'm including some photographs for your enjoyment...

Peter

(ps: the Red Pagoda in the 4th picture belongs to a different team...)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 14:18:34 by vanesp »
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

psmith

Re: Pagoda in Carrera Panamericana
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 05:07:57 »
Hi Peter,

That's really cool.  Do you think you could convince your friend to write up some details of the race and tell/show us a little more of his car?  Maybe the Technical Manual needs a section called Race Prep  ;D

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 07:27:48 »
I'm afraid my friend is not the writing kind. He's not even the photographing kind. I'll see what I can cull from him to add to these pages.

With respect to a secton Race Prep.... we have some more common areas that need work first. Now that I've mostly finished with the web-site, I'm spending some more time on the Tech Manual but more volunteers are badly needed!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

psmith

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 06:32:44 »
My winter project is the brakes, so I hope to resume my additions to the Bremse section.