Author Topic: Americans Living in France?  (Read 7931 times)

al_lieffring

Americans Living in France?
« on: January 04, 2011, 21:41:56 »
The company that my wife works for is being purchased by a French company, and it is more than likely that the position she holds will no longer be part of their USA operations. So one possibility is that we might end up living in France. Is it even possible, for Americans to live there? I'm 53 years old and doubt that I could learn to speak French. Do French people really hate Americans? Or is this just something they do for the tourists, My visit to Paris in '08 was nothing than 60 hours of my life I'll never get back. Is it normal to have to go to 3 restaurants before finding one that will serve you?  Any advise serious or otherwise will be appreciated.

Thanx 

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: Americans Living in France?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 23:26:36 »
Hi Al, I have no direct answer to the question but some observations, gleaned from my travels. I think France is a wonderfully pretty place, and its history is very fascinating. Paris has so many interesting parts, that it too is spectacular. Now as for the people -- I think most French folks and many Parisians are gracious and accepting if you make an effort to respect their culture -- be polite and maybe humbly try to speak French. Then there are those who --  no matter how hard you try -- make you feel like an outsider. C 'le vie... (is that close?) Anyway, the first time I went to Paris I was young, just graduated from College, with a backpack, a hostel card, and a taste for anything remotely alcoholic. They hated me, I hated them back. Germany was great, Switzerland, Austria and England were super great. Paris -- for the birds. However, the next time... I was on my honeymoon with my lovely new bride. Paris was wonderful -- mainly because my mind was on her. Couldn't give a Rat's A - -  about the waiters, taxi drivers, etc. We had so much fun -- frolicking about the city, sharing wine in the park, and so on... Soon really got to like Paris. I guess l'amour had something to do with it. Good luck if ya go!
James
63 230SL

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 23:34:33 »
Hey Al ...

Yes, it's very possible for Americans to live in France, I know a number of them. There must be thousands just in Paris alone. I bought a second home in France three years ago and now live in the French-speaking part of Switzerland, a mile or two from the French border. There's thousands of Americans here in Geneva as well. I'm 50 and have been learning French the past few years - it's quite do-able if you put some effort into it. I can manage most any conversation in French now. It's actually a nice language I think.

Much depends on where exactly in France you would end up going. Our second home is in a small rural village where we have made friends and encountered none of the stereotype 'French behavior' that you refer to whatsoever. When we've been to Paris over the years we've been treated very well despite obviously being foreigners/tourists. Never not been treated in a restaurant, so maybe you had an unfortunate but exceptional experience in 2008.

I've lived in the US for 10 years, Netherlands for a lot more and now Switzerland/France, and can highly recommend the experience of living in a different culture and changing your perspectives like that. Of course, everyone's different and so this may not be for your wife and yourself.

As you know, at least one of your PUB clocks made it over here already ...
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

knockmacool

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 09:38:38 »
Hi Al

I am an American and have lived in Europe for over 35 yrs, mainly Spain, England and now Ireland. I love it, especially France!  With all respect to our European friends, Americans do make you feel very welcome both at a company and a neighbourhood level, so there will be challenges.  If you have kids, it's easier; they are social icebreakers and immediately attach you to school and activities and all the social interaction that entails. If you don't, even better; travel because every corner of France is fascinating!
Rosetta Stone is a great way to learn French. And don't worry about the rude french waiters- they're sent by central typecasting. It will be a hard decision to make, but don't let that bad experience be the deciding factor. Keep us posted, and let's see some pictures  :)

Drew

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 16:30:44 »
The cheese eating surrender monkeys and their freedom fries are fine! It's us Brits they dislike/like in equal measure

Fantastic place to live and in my experience, if you try speak french to the French, they will normally try speak English back. Doesn't always work but enough to get by while you learn the lingo (and if living there you should - Michel Thomas is also a good "audio" method). I'd love to move there - and like the US is not represented by New York, Paris is not really representative of the rest of France (or the French).

Like moving to any country, it has it's foibles and challenges, things that are different to being at home but in their way, they work for the French. Do it. Great experience and what's to lose? It ain't forever.... and if you need an escape, there's always England where you can come and be hated in your own language ;)
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather