Author Topic: The perfect Pagoda photo location  (Read 14682 times)

Else1969

The perfect Pagoda photo location
« on: May 09, 2008, 01:13:29 »
The great coffee table idea has gotten my little mind to thinking where would be a perfect place to take a photo of my beloved car. I am lucky enough to have some pretty good local (or near enough to local choices), but having travelled the world a bit (but not nearly enough!!)I know that there are some stunning scenes which would shoe off our cars a treat.

For me, I was thinking of a drive down the Great Ocean Road and seeing if there is a place to get the car and the 12 Apostles in one shot on a fine day. This might be a tricky execise. Alternatively parking the car in an alley with a lot of arty graffiti soas to juxtapose the neat, clear 60's lines with freeform noughties street-art.

Where would you take the perfect photo of your car?
I am principally thinking of places within easy driving distance of your car's home which show off your car as well as your surrounding environment. At worst this may get people who are interested in contributing to the coffee table book to think about the creative aspects of this fine project.

Dirk
1969 Signal Red Auto 280 SL named "Else"

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
Re: The perfect Pagoda photo location
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 04:49:59 »
These cars look good in many places (especially when it's your car in the photo!) but here's the shot that takes the prize for location...

The broken up brick work helps the smooth lines of the car stand out...the road color and car color match just about perfectly...the flowers, wood and more on the left add softness to the scene while the dark semi circle on the right leads your eye along the length of the car. Very nice.
Richard M, NYC
P.S. Was it taken from an overlooking road? a nearby window? a hot air balloon? a very tall ladder? or a cherry picker?

Download Attachment: 280SL_Gray.jpg
70.91 KB
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 08:59:08 by 280SL71 »
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

glennard

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 10:34:09 »
There's too large a gap between brick 6 and 7 in the 5th row from the top!  But, it is a very nice shot.

paulr

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 12:49:48 »
Yes,  and I noticed some detritus between some of the bricks. presumably this will be corrected before publication ! Tch Tch.

.......lovely shot.

paulr
1970 280 SL
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 12:58:20 by paulr »

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 07:37:06 »
Err...in case nobody noticed, that's not Richard's car...he has Tunis Beige?

And, he has not signed on to the project anyway.

But more importantly as Richard as brought up before for those that HAVE signed on to the project and that is, great photos ("images") of your car.

"Richard's" photo here is from noted collectible car dealer C. F. Mirbach http://www.mirbach.de/ and if you pay a visit to their website you will see all manner of wonderful photos taken of all the cars they have for sale.

Hopefully if you look at the set they have (don't limit your inspection to just Pagoda's) you will be inspired to take some great photos!

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
President, International Stars Section
Mercedes-Benz Club of America
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 08:11:57 »
How's this for a great photo of a 190 SL?

John
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

Kemal

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, London
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 11:50:46 »
This picture I took last year at out W113 gathering at Mercedes World. [ London ]

I hope to take others for ''THE BOOK''

Kemal
280SL
Manual LHD 69

Download Attachment: L1020001.JPG
66.3 KB
Kemal
280SL
Manual LHD69

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 18:57:12 »
Yes, Michael is correct...the photo I put forth as the "Perfect Location" is from Mirbach...the Mirbach name is at the bottom of the photo.

However, as Michael suggested, the photo did inspire me to try to capture a shot of my car with a similar spirit.

Here's the result...a photo of my car in a setting suggested (slightly) by the Mirbach picture. Of course, I lack the skills to even approach the quality of the Mirbach photo.

I guess I like my snapshot because it shows such a nice looking car (at least I think it's nice looking).

Richard M, NYC

Download Attachment: IMG_3414aSml.jpg
55.46 KB
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 21:20:11 »
Rest assured Richard, you are not blinded by love -- yours is a very nice looking specimen -- and a good looking photo.

Kemal, I like your shot as well. As for the 190SL... I just could not find a smilie face with drool coming out. What a beauty.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

glennard

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 06:29:20 »
Hampton Court?

quote:
Originally posted by kemal shah

This picture I took last year at out W113 gathering at Mercedes World. [ London ]

I hope to take others for ''THE BOOK''

Kemal
280SL
Manual LHD 69

66.3 KB

Kemal

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, London
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 07:09:04 »
No! Mercedes World, Waybridge.

Kemal
280SL
Manual LHD 69

quote:
Originally posted by glennard

Hampton Court?

Manual LHD 69

66.3 KB

[/quote]
Kemal
280SL
Manual LHD69

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 12:47:03 »

James Lester
RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

rob walker

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 00:19:52 »
An English country village, a great pub and the springtime.

Download Attachment: IMG_0078.JPG
69.46 KB

Else1969

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 23:02:51 »
That's the sort of thing I was thinking about Rob. I love the setting....mainly because it is nothing like what we can get here. Now, how do be get the people to remove their modern cars from the background (without photoshoping the shot)?
Also appreciated James'colour and texture contrast.

rob walker

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 02:11:18 »
Dirk, yes thats the problem. I have some great photos but in general they are all tainted by some Eurobox.Trying to find locations without modern machinery is very difficult. I am on Dartmoor this summer so the camera will be in great use!
My brother-in-law used to have a professional program that he could edit anything out and you just could not see where it had happened. He could just copy and paste backgrounds. Sadly he is no longer with us, so any suggestion, particularly as we all scan through our photos for the coffee table book!

rob walker

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 02:12:32 »
Another question to James, how do you load the photo to this site so it shows with your message rather than as an attachment?

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 04:08:11 »
Rob,

check this: http://www.sl113.org/forums/faq.asp#GetForum and read right through to the end (Putting your picture in-line). Do note that if you edit, that you do it carefully, so that we do not get unbalanced img or quote tags in the message (i.e. when you can see square brackets [ and ] in the message). That would kill my conversion process to the new forum software which is imminent.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2008, 08:46:04 »
My car caught in a 60's timewarp... I'm thinking of putting this photograph forward for the Coffee Table Book. What's interesting to note is that these Volvo's were produced from 1947 (the 444) until 1968 (the 210 Duett, the station car that you see). They therefore overlap our Pagoda's in time. Yet the cars are so much more old-fashioned. It really makes you appreciate how advanced a car the Pagoda was in its day.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2008, 16:57:59 »
Hey folks--

May I suggest, just for a while, [particularly for those participating in the coffee table book] NOT posting all these great photos?  Keep your secrets to yourself (visually at least) so the book will be a welcome mystery...get it?  Keep up the great work in getting the photos, however!! Just don't share them yet!!

As for the verb "photoshoping".  I kind of dislike that word as it is used to describe, usually in pejorative terms, the manipulation of photos.

Let me tell you this:  Many of the great photos taken in the days of silver halide (that's B&W photography)had extensive retouching done with dodging, burning, etc.  That's in the darkroom.  Then, after the fact, there was also a lot of airbrushing done, hand coloring, etc.  Unretouched photos almost don't exist.  Anything printed at all has been retouched in the sense that the density range and tonality have been altered from one medium (silver halide paper; color transparency, etc.) to another (ink on paper) because it is a technical requirement; the density range of transparencies is far greater than ink on paper and the tonal range must be collapsed in order to print.  You also have to color correct nearly everything to print properly.  Now I'm not talking about removing Uncle Ned and replacing him with Aunt Tilly, but retouching is a continuum and it isn't all bad.

The second thing I dislike about the verb photoshoping is the fact that this kind of digital manipulation was NOT invented by Adobe.  Long before Adobe evolved out of Xerox PARC, "photoshoping" was being done on and by Scitex equipment, which evolved out of digital imaging work done for the Israeli Defense Forces.  In another life I worked for that company which actually invented this stuff!  Let's just call it what it really is, and what it has always been called--retouching.  Doesn't matter how you do it (with Photoshop, a clone software, or the old-fashioned way) it's still retouching!

OK, I'm better now.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

paulr

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 02:13:08 »
I agree with Michael. Retouching is like doing a bit of housework on your photographs....like Hoovering...Oh, I mean Vacuuming. Oh dear, now I am confused !
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 08:03:16 by paulr »

hugo

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 02:53:49 »
how about that one ?

Download Attachment: IMG_0652_1.jpg
140.26 KB