Author Topic: Production run 71 280SL  (Read 14807 times)

OzzyQ80

Production run 71 280SL
« on: July 04, 2013, 04:08:19 »
Greetings to all!  I was researching information about pagodas and was really surprised in the amount of detailed information I found.  I have adopted a 71 280SL that was left to fend itself from weather, thieves, and lack of attention.  I was curious to find out more about this vehicle and stumbled upon this link:  http://www.sl113.org/wiki/DataCard/USModelYear

This was really helpful, but at the same time, it confused me a bit since the production date stamped on the vehicle identification label on the driver door side is 4/71.  Other interesting things on this car is the emblems that where once on this vehicle.  The 280SL emblem is higher than what I have seen and under it had a badge stating it is "Automatic".  Maybe I am missing something or not understanding something, but do any of you have a 71 280SL with a production date of April or higher?  Did production kept going in Europe while the R107 was being sent to the USA? Any answers would be great.  Thanks and greetings!

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
Re: Production run 71 280SL
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 09:02:19 »
The VIN number can help solve some mysteries and also the Data Card...
perhaps you can post a scan or photo of the Data Card so we can take a look. Black out the Key Codes before posting.

If you are sensitive about posting, you can send the Data Card image by email or a private message to me or another volunteer here.

As far as historic information goes, the best source for me is "Mercedes Benz 190SL - 280SL" by Günter Engelen. Engelen had access to the original MB archives and files.

Here's Engelen's 280 SL production final entry: VIN Number ending with 23885, February 23,1971, "Letzen 280 SL" (Last 280 SL)

So a 113 chassis 280 SL built in April 1971 would not be consistent with the archival information.

It is quite possible for a February built car to arrive at a dealer in April and someone might have tagged the car to show when it reached the dealer. But if the tag says "production" or similar, my bet would be that the tag is not correct. To find an April 1971 built 113 280 SL would cause great concern for the accuracy of the historic records.

Just to cover all bases, 280 SL's were produced in Europe after February 1971 but these were the first 107 model cars. The 107 280 SL was not sold in the US but some were brought here later privately. These 280 SL's would have a VIN starting with "107" not "113".

Richard M, NYC
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

OzzyQ80

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 15:48:40 »
I have posted some pictures of the adopted vehicle.  Yes, it has big wheels, LOL!  I don't really like the bundt wheels it had.  Well, I wish I had a data card, but it didn't come with it.  My local dealer called the Classic Center to obtain one, but they have not received a response.  Sorry for the quality of the pictures.  I don't really have a good camera.  Let me know if they are visible.  if not, here is the info on the tag

Manufactured by:  Daimler Benz AG.
280SL

Imported by:  Euro Import Inc.

Month/Year of MFG:  4-71
GVWR:  3780lbs
GAWR Front:  1830lbs
GAWR Rear:  1950lbs

VIN
113 044 12 015882

So, if the last 280 ended with 23885, then this was built before April.  Since this car is way to rusted (floors are gone, front impact, hood missing (stolen), rusted rear panels, rear quarters) I am thinking of fully modifying the vehicle in order to put one more 280 on the road.  It still has engine and transmission.  The soft top mechanism is missing and all but driver glass is missing. all trims missing.  This car got totally gutted.  Any ideas anyone?  I want to replace and reinforce the floors and since body panels are rusted, just making custom pieces.  I was thinking of doing a widebody pagoda.  What you guys think?  I was even thinking of putting a different windshield and change the slope of the front glass and put a custom dash and interior.  Greetings to all and Cheers!!!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 09:08:05 by 280SL71 »

KevinC

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 16:15:39 »
Oz,

According to the Technical Manual (that which we believe to be true) that VIN was produced in February 1970. Also, the tag you show here doesn't look like a typical one. At the factory, I don't believe that they would include "imported by".

The Data Card is the key and its VERY easy to obtain. You simply send an email to the Classic Center along with your VIN /proof of ownership and in typically less than 48 hours you'll receive a scanned copy of the card INCLUDING a breakdown of all of the information specific to your car (essentially a "buildsheet). I believe the email address to use is classicparts@mbusa.com . If that doesn't work, just call them in Irvine, CA. They are very helpful.

Sheet metal panels for our cars are still available on the aftermarket so you don't have to fabricate them if you prefer not to.

Good Luck!

Kevin

PS: I don't feel that you'll get much support here on changing up the body and slope of the glass...many of us are "purists" to a great degree but what ever makes YOU happy.   

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 18:08:34 »
Oz,
as Kevin already mentioned this is not a typical Mercedes VIN plate. How do you know the VIN on that plate is correct? Have you compared it with the one on the longitudinal frame member? See: http://www.sl113.org/wiki/DataCard/VIN
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

OzzyQ80

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 18:53:10 »
Thank you guys for your replies.  Well, there was a label with the same number on the passenger side firewall, but that one only had the VIN number.  With the amount of items that were stripped off the car, it is kind of hard to know how much it is going to take to get this back up and running, seeing that it is practically just a rotten shell with two good doors and trunk (aluminum and in good shape surprisingly).  Ok, here is what I have found.  the VIN matches the one on the longitudinal frame.  Also, the transmission crossmember ends in 882.  The engine number is 130 983 12 008874.  One has the tag on the transmission.  This car was given to me so I have no keys or documentation (that scares me).  Hopefully they will be kind to me at the Classic Center to provide a data card for me.  All looks square and good in spite of a lot of missing parts.  Well, if you guys can guide me on locating good and reasonable body panels, I would appreciate that.

OzzyQ80

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 18:57:18 »
sorry guys, me and my dyslexic mind. the transmission member is 228, not 882.  LOL  Do I have a Frankenbenz?????????

gerster

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 20:03:09 »
I'm afraid this car is to far gone to restore for a reasonable lot of money!

Good Luck.

Greetings: Ger.

OzzyQ80

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 22:43:27 »
Thanks Gerster.  Yea, it is way too gone to restore.  All gauges are missing and so is all the wiring harness.  My friend says he has all the trims for the car and some extras.  He has a lot of older benzes and has himself a pagoda, a 450sel 6.9, 560sl, C230 Kompressor, C250 CGI, 280se 4.5, and too many to consider.  He used to have this car and gave it to me as a gift and I would like to do him proud and get this car back on the road, but with limited amount of money and time being that I already have a considerable amount of projects going, like the frame-off restoration on my 74 VW Karmann Ghia, full restoration on 78 Datsun 280z "Black Pearl" edition (only about 1200-1500 produced in 78), full custom widebody 78 Datsun 280z (SCCA racer), and restoration on my 560SL.  I guess it would be cheaper to cut and modify this vehicle and make a frankenbenz, seeing that I already priced the hood at the dealer and it costs over 5K dollars!!!!  I might of just make one out of fiberglass and modify the light area and make custom headlamps.  Possibly make it air ride and install a turbocharged Nissan SR20DET with manual 5 speed tranny.  I cant even think of how much the missing convertible top will cost.

Well, I know most of you guys are purists, as I myself am a purist and prefer my cars stock, except if it is going to cost too much to get them restored. I like wheels and that is about all I do with my cars, hence the 19 inch AMG five spoke wheels off a CLS55 AMG which where on my 560SL while the originals where being restored.  I will probably make a thread on tha Frankenbenz!  Cheers!

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 01:14:49 »
...  I will probably make a thread on tha Frankenbenz!  Cheers!
Be careful, you are entering an area already staked out!  ;) ;D
See: http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=11783.msg128686#msg128686
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

OzzyQ80

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 04:22:06 »
WOW what a project!  66, I guess the name has been taken, but my car is just as bad as the way Frankenbenz started, except my body is in much worse shape.  I have been exploring the options and different posts with the M117 and M116 swaps and other things, but I would like to cut the amount of weight out of the car by using a 2.0L Nissan engine (red or black top SR20DET has 202hp).  Well, when I start on the project, I will post some pics.  I have been shortly introduced to the Pagodas thru two friends who own them and there are no qualified mechanics in my area that can work on these cars and I am very mechanically inclined and have been messing around with them.  Cheers!!

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 09:46:29 »
If the VIN is 113 044 12 015882 the car is a 113 Chassis Pagoda 280SL built in February 1970
with left hand drive and automatic transmission.

A February 1970 car would have arrived at a US dealership by May 1970.
If the car was registered as a 1971 Model,  it was either an error or intentionally mis-registered.

The VIN number is stamped on the top of the right side inner fender.
Often difficult to see because of the light die stamping and over-painting.

On later 280 SL's the VIN is on an ID plate riveted to the left door frame
just below where the closed door lock meets the car body.

On some earlier cars and on all Euro Model cars, the ID Tag was along top right side of the firewall pad
in a small rectangle cut into the pad. The photo of your car shows a cutout in that location. Maybe a tag is in that firewall hole.

The tag in your photo seems to be a later add on tag. It is not an original MB tag and the data on it cannot be relied on.
The Production date seems way out of line.

Richard M, NYC

1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 06:42:35 »
Ozzy,

It's been a while since you posted this thread. If you are looking for a supplier of body ad well ad all other panels you may want to contact this producer.

http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Suppliers/Warsaw
He has also sold to Australia as he told me....
How your project is going?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 22:14:55 by Flyair »
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 00:29:02 »
The tag you are referencing with the production date is actually a US Department of Transportation mandated tag used when a European market vehicle is imported into the US. They probably didn't know when it was built and just guessed.  That also explains the AUTOMATIC badge which denotes an auto trans on a European car.

OzzyQ80

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 01:13:44 »
Well guys, i am sorry for the delay in replying.  The project did not get started because i sold the pagoda. My friend gave me the title and a gentleman from The Netherlands found my car thru a friend who had a 230sl and he bought both our cars.  He is into restoring pagodas and any old mercedes cabriolets built prior to 1972.  I am sure he will have more access to parts than i would. I kind of miss her, but i have been slowly restoring my friend's euro 280sl. Paint and body and interior is done.  Only need to work minor light issues, air conditioning, and softtop mechanism. She is running and shifting well and i also aligned it.  Runs and drives like a charm.  I really appreciate all of your input gentlemen.  I will post the farewell pics.