Author Topic: Rear Wheel Bearing Tour  (Read 19436 times)

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Rear Wheel Bearing Tour
« on: November 25, 2005, 09:54:37 »
"Wheel Bearing Tour":

5-8-09 Part No. Correction (inner rear seal should be #001 997 3446 thanks Erick M.) text corrected
Additional information added 11-26-05, 11-28-05, 11-24-08

This topic will be updated and added to over the next few days since it is somewhat lengthy. I will keep adding to this first post by editing, so that the material remains together in one post and at the top of the page. Feel free to add information or ask questions anytime during the tour. We have taken many detailed photos and have diagrams and illustrations to add also.

We were unable to perform the procedure during the Ohio Tech Session, we ran out of time. Bob Fellows 1969 dark blue original 280SL was on hand for the work. Jim Villers was kind enough to contribute the bearing which he carried to the Tech Session as a spare. Thanks Jim!

Symptoms:
You may notice a low pitch groaning noise coming from the rear axle area.

Diagnose by:
Drive the car down the road and swerve from side to side. As the car leans to the side with the bad bearing the noise will increase. As the car leans to the other side the noise may disappear or become less.

Parts needed:
     (1) right side axle wheel bearing "roller cylindrical bearing"  #000 981 152
                           or
     (1) left side rear wheel bearing "ball bearing"  # 001 981 1525
     (1) seal and gasket kit # 111 586 0035 which includes the following parts or can be ordered separately:
                   (1) inner oil seal # 001 997 3446 (correction 5-09)
                   (1) outer oil seal # 001 997 4746
                   (1) paper gasket # 110 997 47 46
                   (1) lock plate # 183 353 0373
                   (1) special grooved nut (optional, but comes in the kit) #153 357 0026
     (2.5) quarts of 90w or equivalent gear oil
     (qty)  bearing grease (synthetic best)

Special Tools:
      (1) 14mm drain plug tool or equivalent (a 9/16" allen wrench will work or use a 14mm bolt head in vice grips)

The BBB advises use of a special puller and a special "grooved nut tool" however These items are expensive and not needed. Depending on how tight the bearing is on the axle shaft after removal you may need to take the axle to your local NAPA store or automotive machine shop to have the wheel bearing pressed off. However there is also a simple method which you can use  which will work most of the time. To install  the new bearing, no special tools will be required.

To perform the work you will need two jack stands, an oil drain pan and a jack.

Here are diagrams, the 230SL has drum brakes so we have no photos of its brke assembly, but the basic procedure is the same except for the brakes. I will try to fill in some 230SL specific information as we go along.

Download Attachment: 250SL, 280SL.JPG
52.24 KB

Download Attachment: 230SL.JPG
76.98 KB

This swing axle differential  has two oil seals on each axle The inner seals isolate the differential 90W oil from the wheel bearings which are packed in bearing grease. The outer seals keep the bearing grease from getting into the brakes.

The right side of the swing axle must be able to hinge with the suspension and the right side wheel bearing is a special barrel shaped "roller bearing" which can actually hinge with the axle.

This right side wheel bearing is three or four times more expensive than the left side "ball bearing".  Fortunately since "roller bearings" are designed to handle higher loads than a standard "ball bearing", this expensive right side "roller bearing" seldom fails. View the photo below;

Download Attachment: bearing types.JPG
31.02 KB

Since the rear wheel bearings are isolated from the differential oil, running the car with a low oil level in the differential will not normally cause these bearings to fail. Long term storage, dried out bearing grease, and normal usage may eventually cause a bearing failure. If left in use the bad bearing may  seize and may begin to spin inside its seat in the axle housing, wearing the casting itself.

As typical, Bob's left rear "ball bearing" began  making some noise which progressively became more noticeable. We did the "swerve test" which confirmed our diagnosis.

Download Attachment: rear wheel1.JPG
49.34 KB

The first step is to place the rear of the car on jack stands and support the rear axle so it is as level as possible.

A 14mm drain plug tool is used to remove the drain plug at the bottom of the differential casting, allowing the 2.5 quarts of gear oil to drain.

Download Attachment: drain fluid 2.JPG
49.51 KB

The rear wheel is removed and the brake caliper can be unbolted and hung out of the way without opening any brake lines. The brake disc can now be removed. In the case of a 230SL the rear drum is removed. The 230SL drums have three threaded holes on the flat side of the drum. Winding three M6 bolts into these threaded holes magically removes the drums.

Unfortunately on the  230SL drum brakes the wheel cylinder must be disconnected to remove the backing plate.

Disc brake cars have a complex emergency brake arrangement, while drum brake cars have the usual complexity of springs and shoes. Pay special attention to the arrangement in either case.

Disc brake cars have two large holes in the axle wheel hub so the spring retainers holding the emergency brake shoes in place can be removed. Needle nose pliers or small needle nose vice grips can be used through these openings. An old screwdriver can be modified to work as a simple removal tool also. In any case the axle must be stripped of it's brake and emergency brake assemblies.

Download Attachment: retainer 3.JPG
59.35 KB

The brake backing plate or beaing retainer is held on by six 13mm nuts around the axle. These  can be removed using a socket through the holes in the axle hub.

Download Attachment: axle4.JPG
61.48 KB

Drum brake cars will also have to have the two 10mm nuts holding the emergency brake pulley assembly (#20 on the 230SL diagram above). An additional 14mm bolt (#2 on the 230SL diagram) also must be removed behind the brake backing plate on the drum brake cars.

The axle should be ready for removal at this point. In place of the expensive special axle puller, bolt a piece of angle iron or uni strut to the axle and tap it out with a hammer (see below).

Download Attachment: axle removal5.JPG
56.1 KB

Download Attachment: axle out 6.JPG
50.72 KB

Remove the axle assembly with bearing. Confirm the diagnosis by slightly pinching the bearing in the jaws of a bench vice and turn the axle. The slight pressure of the vice on the bearing will simulate normal load on the axle. You will feel a definite flat spot on the defective bearing as the axle is turned.

Download Attachment: vicetest7.JPG
60.26 KB

A special "grooved nut" holds the bearing in place. The grooved nut is locked in place by a lock plate which is bent up into the grooves of the nut. Grind a punch so as to fit the groove and straighten the lock plate enough to release the grooved nut.

Download Attachment: axle 8.JPG
40.7 KB

The grooved nut can be loosened by use of a special tool, or a spanner wrench, flat drift or even a pipe wrench.

Download Attachment: grooved nut 9.JPG
35.82 KB

The axle bearing must be removed next. The BBB shows a very special and expensive puller, your local NAPA or automotive machine shop can press it off. I use another simple trick. Place a block of aluminum or hardwood on the floor. Strike the axle assembly splined end down firmly on the block. With one or two blows the bearing should pop off, (see photo). This method has worked many times for me. Do not use anything harder than aluminum or wood or you may distort the end of the axle.

Download Attachment: [ removal 10.JPG
67.58 KB

The old axle seals can easily be removed next. The inner seal located in the axle tube can be tapped with the drift by hitting it inward in one spot so it will twist so it can be pulled out.

Download Attachment: inner seal 12.jpg
62.44 KB

The next photo shows the installation of a new seal using a large socket to drive it in place. I coated the outer surface of the seal with gasket shellac to insure a good leak proof seal against the axle housing.

Download Attachment: install seal 13.jpg
60.18 KB

The outer seal located in the backing plate can be tapped out on the workbench.

Find a correct size socket or pipe to drive the new seals in place. Also coat the outer seal surface with gasket shellac  to insure a good leakproof seal against the housing. Coat the soft  seal lip with some grease so you do not have a "dry" start up. Starting the new seal in straigth is the challenge here.

Download Attachment: outer seal14.jpg
58.28 KB

The bad bearing can vibrate or actually spin in the housing, wearing away it's seat. A highly polished suface in the housing can be a sign of bearing rotation in the housing. You can tap a series of punch marks arount the circumference of the housing and also use "Locktite Stud and Bearing Mount" or equivalent to insure a good snug fit for the new bearing.

Download Attachment: housing16.JPG
45.6 KB

Download Attachment: housing17.jpg
59.43 KB
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Emergency Brake information (disc brakes)

The emergency brake assemblies on the disc brake cars can often be the most troublesome part of the bearing change. I have some information and photos here which may help you next time. I will add this information to the tour also.

Here is a photo all the emergency brake parts;

Download Attachment:  exploded view.JPG
60.27 KB

This photo shows a backing plate with the parts installed. The adjuster can be installed in either direction so take note which way it is pointed for re-assembly otherwise adjustment may be backwards but will work fine.

Download Attachment:  clear view.JPG
113.73 KB

Two special tools will make the job quite a bit easier. One can easily be home made, the other is an inexpensive spring tool. Grind a round screwdriver shaft or similar for the home made tool.

Download Attachment:  special tools.jpg
41.17 KB

Use the home made tool to release the retainer springs first. Push in then do a quarter twist to release.  The retainer spring hooks through the hole in the backing plate see photo of the back view.

Download Attachment:  removal of retaining springs.jpg
61.84 KB

Download Attachment:  back view.JPG
78.65 KB

After both retainer springs are removed use a large screwdriver to pry the top brake shoe far enough to remove the adjuster.  this will loosen  up the entire assembly enough so that you can remove both upper and lower return springs with the spring tool.

Download Attachment:  remove adjuster.jpg
55.52 KB

Both emergency brake tools can now be remved. Next remove the cam assembly by pushing the connecting pin out.

Download Attachment:  removal of cam unit.jpg
65.25 KB

There is a special "C" clip which must be removed before the emergency brake cable can be dis-connected from the backing plate.

Download Attachment:  removal of emergency brake cable.JPG
76.35 KB

Continue the axle removal by unfastening the 13mm nuts around the axle.

My re-installation of the emergency brake assembly is the reverse order of above. I prefere to deviate from the factory assembly sequence in that I install the brake adjuster  and top return spring last instead of first. 

More to follow soon!

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 02:42:03 by ja17 »
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

bpossel

Re: Rear Wheel Bearing Tour
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 05:48:10 »
Hi Joe,
Thank you for putting this tour together for us.
This is truly valuable information!
Kind Regards, Bob

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 07:24:29 »
Joe - this is pretty much a whole chapter of the Tech Manual! Many, many thanks for taking so much time in helping all of us shade tree mechanics ...

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

George Des

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 07:52:02 »
Joe-Good article. When I did my rear bearings, I made up a set of long puller arms for a standard pulley/bearing puller so I could pull the bearings off the axle. These were made up of long steel flat stock drilled to replicate and replace the smaller links that connect the "L" shaped pieces to the main puller assembly. Works like a champ and looks like the one in the BBB.

George Des

Ben

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 03:42:27 »
This is excellent as usual Joe, thought I would be doing this job this week but turned out to me another issue !

One question though.................could you not have washed your hands for the photo  !!   :D

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 18:40:26 »
You all are welcome. Glad the information is useful, Bob Fellows helped out by bringing his digital camera along and took a lot of the pictures.

Ok Ben, I will wash my hands, comb my hair and put a clean shirt on before the next photo session! Also I will clean up wife Mary's white cookie tray before it's time for her Holiday baking! :D

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 18:41:29 by ja17 »
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

saygold

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 22:59:54 »
Joe'

Very nice article.  I wish I had it before.  I made some home-made tools to pull the axles and remove the bearings from the axles, but yours are a lot simpler, quicker and look a lot better!

Ken
'66 230SL

Chad

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 23:25:22 »
I just saw this Joe. What a great tour!  Thanks for this article. I have it bookmarked for later.

-CD-
1967 230SL, 113.042 10

Ben

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 06:53:23 »
quote:
Ok Ben, I will wash my hands, comb my hair and put a clean shirt on before the next photo session! Also I will clean up wife Mary's white cookie tray before it's time for her Holiday baking!

........hold on...........you never told us your wife bakes cookies !

And all the time I thought the tech session was about 113's !!

Now I really want to go !!      8)

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 12:55:33 »
quote:
you never told us your wife bakes cookies !

These are specials with 113 hypoid taste!!

Yum Yum  :)

naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 11:50:36 »
Joe/all,

We did this job last weekend and I must thank you for such an excellent explanation of the job.

I'll post some of the photos we took in the hope that they help someone else, although I found the info that's already here to be all we needed.

We already had the drums off to change the brake shoes, but here's a few photos of the brake assembly when assembled (taken at the end of the process):

Download Attachment: DSCN1211.jpg
27.47 KB

Download Attachment: DSCN1210.jpg
46.63 KB

Download Attachment: DSCN1212.jpg
31.87 KB

Download Attachment: DSCN1213.jpg
31.76 KB

Pulling the cover plate off was easy - a tap from the rear and it falls forward. We used Joe's puller design to get the axels out:

Download Attachment: DSCN1209.jpg
45.29 KB

We checked the bearings using a vice (with protective plates of lead on the jaws to avoid marking the bearing) as Joe suggested. The bearings were fine,

After a thorough clean and re-pack, we reassembled the axels. It was a little tricky to get them to slot in, and we had to resist the temptation to 'use a bigger hammer.' They went it after about 10 mins of faffing around.

To reassemble, one needs a paper gasket. We made one from card (card we've used lots of times before for paper gaskets and which we know is good for the job) and used sealant to bond it properly. Here's a photo of making the gasket using a hammer to 'punch' it out of the car to ensure the dimensions are correct:

Download Attachment: DSCN1204.jpg
36.29 KB

We then refilled the diff with Castrol SAE 90 (diff) oil and put the drums with new shoes back together. (We then discovered that a brake cylinder had an old broken nipple so now we need to wait for SLS to send a new cylinder - hence the importance of inspecting things properly as you take them apart, not when you're trying to put them together!)

Since we have to wait for some parts, we'll change the brake lines also. Question: can anyone give any tips on changing the lines, or is it just as painful as it looks?

Anyway, again, Joe's instructions are top. It took us about a day of work, but we made life difficult for ourselves at times with the brakes. It could be done more quickly perhaps but it isn't a job to rush. It is far easier than it sounds, although putting the drum brakes back together was a serious chore. Thankfully I had an expert helping hand!

JH

« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 03:25:14 by jameshoward »
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 20:37:46 »
Hello James,  

This is a nice fill in for the 230SL crowd with the drum brakes. Maybe we can paste your information and photos on the original post so it all stays at the top of the page, together in the "tour"? With your permission of coarse,  I will credit you with the contribution. Good facts and photos get lost in this vast sea of information we are accumulating.  

I also have the finish up photos and information for the tour. Bob Possel offered to contribute also since he has finsished the same project on his car.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007, 03:27:21 »
Joe,

Please use any info or photos as you wish. I still have the wheels and drums off so will try to take a better photo of the reassembled brake - the posted one is a little dark.

I will also try to get a decent job work flow for reassembling the drum brake as it was a complete pain.

If there is anything else you want a photo of, let me know. We have to refit the cylinder and change the lines now (any info on lines gratefully received) and so I can take more photos of that if required.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

George Des

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 07:10:52 »
Joe

I used a regular two arm bearing puller to pull the bearing off the axle. What I had to do though was to take four long flat pieces of steel to fabricate "new" links for the puller claws. If you look at a conventional puller, you will notice how the claws are attached to the screw section with four bolts and four small links. It was a simple matter to just make the longer links to provide the additional reach needed to pull the bearing in the manner they show in the BBB.

George Des

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 16:25:45 »
Hello George,

Good thinking, I'll add this to the tour asap.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 03:21:18 »
Joe,

Unless I'm mistaken, it seems that the rear wheel bearing part numbers have changed. The part numbers I have for the cylindrical roller bearing is 000 981 05 06 (list $120) and for the regular ball bearing is 008 981 42 25 (list $21).  You might consider updating your original post with this information.

I have another question: the EPC shows the cylindrical roller bearing used only on the V8 cars' rear axles (both sides). This is presumably because of the higher torque. However, all the 6-cylinder cars I checked showed up as using the ball bearing on both left and right sides.

So why is it that we feel the need to use the roller bearing over what MB recommends?  If we're just simply taking precautions by using the higher load bearing, then why not use that precaution with both sides? (left and right)   I understand the right side undergoes a different set of stresses due to the swing axle, but why would MB not recommend the roller bearing if it was indeed necessary?

Never mind. I just went through the Technical Data Book (Issued October, 1969) and it clearly shows the cylindrical roller bearing used on the right but not the left. I'm either not reading the EPC correctly, or the EPC is wrong.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 03:50:02 by waqas »
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 13:27:14 »
I've moved this content in to the Wiki. If new information becomes available, please post it in the Wiki instead! Also... much easier to print and take into the shop!

http://www.sl113.org/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=DriveShaft.RearWheelBearings

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!