Author Topic: New PEV Hybrid car coming next week...  (Read 26441 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
New PEV Hybrid car coming next week...
« on: June 06, 2014, 15:55:19 »
I'm not known as a tree hugger, however we were offered (as part of a manufacturer's realignment of inventory in the pipeline) a deal we absolutely could not refuse. We had planned on getting a [Ford] Fusion (normal gas model) in September when young daughter gets her license, however a deal on a Fusion Energi PEV Hybrid was offered on Tuesday. We jumped, as it would be at least $100 less per month in capital costs. Factor in the presumably reduced cost of operating and this will be an interesting 2-year (lease length) experiment. (Sometimes I think like an accountant, Cees  :D)

Within 24 hours of the deal being offered, my local Ford dealer (who graciously held one for me) sold every one they had; took many from other dealers here, had two additional sales (waiting lists) lined up for each deposit, and had also gone deep into Ohio and was taking them off the hands of Ohio dealers too. The inventory issue was cleared up quite quickly here, and will probably be cleared up nationwide shortly. Mainstream media review have been positive to mixed, with the big sticking point being the excessive price of the PEV upgrade. Well, when you remove that issue, it all begins to make sense…at least for a while.  ;)

(I don't believe the car sold as a Fusion in Europe is the same one…)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 19:08:06 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
Re: New PEV Hybrid car coming next week...
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 22:12:32 »
Slightly off your topic Michael but allong the same lines on hybrid/full electric,  I have always wanted to get a fully electric vehicle just as a city runaround for my wife. The idea of not being a slave to the petrol pumb is inviting.

Still have that hope and actually would think about a Smart but they dont have an electric one here.  Are they in UK in RHD?

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 01:53:07 »
How about an electric car that actually looks like a car?  ;)
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-vw-e-golf-20140530-story.html
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 02:43:24 »
Interesting to see when they make a RHD.  Same for Fiat 500e.

Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 04:48:56 »
Mike,
Ford Fusion in Europe was an entirely different car that now is discontinued. As usual, Wikipedia can be a source of information as it shows links to both Fusion US and Fusion Europe sites
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Fusion

Ford Fusion US is sold here as Ford Mondeo, although I haven't heard of an electric version of that car here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mondeo

Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 19:41:42 »
I have always wanted to get a fully electric vehicle just as a city runaround for my wife. The idea of not being a slave to the petrol pumb is inviting. Still have that hope and actually would think about a Smart but they dont have an electric one here.  Are they in UK in RHD?

Make no mistake--the full plug ins, despite what anyone may say, are interim experiments. Now, beyond that, I've had the opportunity to drive the Version 1 of the Smart Electric in a Press Drive back in 2010, in Brooklyn NY across from Manhattan (for those geographically challenged.) Aside from finding a place to plug it in for city dwellers, this car was great. Having all the torque, all the time meant that I could, and did, beat the taxis off the line on Flatbush Avenue. My driving partner was a former Peruvian Formula 3 driver, and I think he felt a bit uncomfortable as I put on my NYC driving hat and really put it through its paces. It didn't fail on any account and was quite pleasing. Then, last year I drove the second generation, again in a Press Drive, but this time in Ann Arbor, Michigan. This is a small, urban city, which quickly turns to rural area. The second generation was the same; I think most of the improvements were minor to the driver on a Press Drive, but major electronic changes. The car is quite small as you can see it parked next to bicycles in Brooklyn! By last year, Smart was rolling this out in a wider range of places than the first wave. I think we might find it in Australia someday. http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-reviews/smart-fortwo-electric-drive-review-11579#.U5NtXhY_1NY

If you can deal with the space issue, a Smart is fine. It is quite comfortable for a driver, and a passenger. I didn't feel space challenged in the least, though I'm not that tall. The only issue would be what you are doing when you get to your destination? If you are picking up, by yourself, a load of groceries, you are fine. If you expect to make a major home center run, well…but in any case I really like the little thing.

The news around here recently was Sergio Marchionne (CEO of Fiat/Chrysler) saying "Please don't buy my Fiat 500 Electric. I lose $14,000 on each one…" I don't think these things are moneymaking propositions yet, the Ford included.

I think the Fusion Energi looks exactly like a car, Alfred. The Smart looks a bit like a toy, but that's part of its charm!

http://www.netcarshow.com/Ford-Fusion_Energi-2013-wallpaper.jpg

Turns out that my next door neighbor, a tool/die/body engineer, was the guy doing the CAD work on locating the "hole" in the front fender for the plug on the Fusion (see photo.) The stylists and engineers kept moving the location, which required him to keep making new CAD drawings. Finally he put a stop to it and said, "No, it's staying where it is now…" and there we have it.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 19:53:13 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Jowe

• Silver
  • Sweden, Västra Götaland, Gothenburg
Johan
04/1964 230SL, European, manual 4-sp, power steering, 050/050 white, black leather, Blaupunkt (SOLD)

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 00:10:33 »
... I think the Fusion Energi looks exactly like a car, Alfred. The Smart looks a bit like a toy, but that's part of its charm! ...

Of course it does to you. To me Ford cars always look like .. well .. like Ford cars.  ;)  ;D
But whenever I need a rental I don't mind getting one!

Actually it is rather disappointing to see how similar all the modern cars are now. Difficult to keep them apart these days, they seem to be all "fusion" cars, just like current cuisines.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 04:19:24 by 66andBlue »
Alfred

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 00:26:13 »
Johan, please don't even think about it ...... Please
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 13:26:51 »
Actually it is rather disappointing to see how similar all the modern cars are now. Difficult to keep them apart these days, they seem to be all "fusion" cars, just like current cuisines.

Alfred, are you going out on a limb here and saying that the Audi looks like the Ford, and may also bear resemblance to a Hyundai and a C-Class too?

[you are 100% correct…they all are beginning to lose distinction in styling…]
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 17:08:04 »
Hi Michael,
I am not out on a limb but firmly grounded when I write: they all look alike.
Take one pair of 2 wheels connected by an axle, put a bubble on top and now shape the bubble in a wind tunnel until you have optimal aerodynamics, what do you get?
The result is what we see today; very little designers can do to create a unique brand contour or image.
Even Land Rovers are starting to become homogenized, the only exception I know is the Hummer!  :o
Alfred

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 20:25:08 »
Very true what Alfred is saying, therefore most of us are delighted to own a timeless car like our Pagode/Pagoda ... Most of us also don't care about gas consumption when we do get a chance to drive it  :) the pure joy of driving our car pushes such thoughts right over board so to speak.

I will however get myself an electric bicycle this summer .... See I'm not at all against new technology at all,  :)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 12:42:21 »
the only exception I know is the Hummer!  :o

…or my Flex, which is styled like a brick, or perhaps a refrigerator on its side? Don't think it ever saw a wind tunnel; if it did, nobody paid attention!  :D They are not popular in any place but Michigan, and from what Tom Hanson tells me, they've replaced the Audi Q as the preferred mode of transport for Soccer Moms in OC. I cannot confirm nor deny his report; just repeat it. I kind of like it. I'm on my 4th.

You do know that the Hummer is long dead, right?

Rolf, Smart makes a very costly electric bike with Bosch technology; there are other manufacturers using it too. Quite fun! You need the motor because the bike is way too heavy to pedal without it!
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2014, 22:20:06 »
Its hard to get more like a brick than a MB G Wagon.  It wouldnt matter if it was going sideways or forward, the resistance would be the same :o
Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2014, 22:54:02 »
…or my Flex, which is styled like a brick, ...
Michael, yes you got me on that one, but I did not really think about medium or large SUVs, like the G-wagons.
The other ones I forgot are those "funky" boxy cars like the Scion xB, Nissan Cube and Kia Soul.
I had a good laugh when one of our grand nephews noticed a black xB and asked whether that was a hearse for midgets.
Alfred

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2014, 12:11:37 »
I had a good laugh when one of our grand nephews noticed a black xB and asked whether that was a hearse for midgets.

Oh, Alfred--that's priceless!

On the subject of brick-like cars, and jelly bean cars that all look the same, thinking about it this is NOT a new phenomena. Just go back to the 70s, with the predecessor of today's Golf--the Rabbit. A lot of cars adapted this 2-box styling including the Plymouth Horizon, and others that started using I4 transverse front drive engines. These however were not new; Giugaro adopted this style from the original Mini, and later 1200 series Austin/Morris platforms. Going back to the 50s there were plenty of bulbous cars that looked similar, and in the 30s, many cars in a certain body style had very similar styles. There's always been the outliers, of course, and I suppose that's what makes life fun.

We picked up the PEV Fusion on Tuesday. Took it for its first longish drive yesterday, about 50 miles round trip. The first 15 miles or so was running on pure electricity, and was something well over 100 MPGe. When the gas kicked in, in regular hybrid mode, eMPG plummeted of course, but the total trip yielded MPGe of 66. The economics are prettying compelling. There's a significant capital cost reduction due to the good deal we got on this, and the reduction in fuel usage only adds to that. When I fill up my "brick" of a Flex, its about $55 now; it gets 17-19 MPG around town, and maybe 22-24 on the highway…when the Fusion gets put into regular use by our daughter to school next year, there will be very little gas used due to the short trips she'll be taking. On the minus side, half the trunk is gone, as this started life as a regular car and they needed some place to put the batteries. On the plus side, this began life and is much like a regular car...

Like a Nissan Leaf; Prius, or even a Smart Electric, there is a boatload of technology in front of the driver, things like a calculator to tell you braking efficiency. Fast braking will yield maybe 50% energy return to the battery. Slow and gentle, I got between 90-100%. These kinds of cues help you maximize your MPGe. Battery drain, gas usage, all of these things are on various digital gauges.  The dealer has a two-person tech team (they are, not surprisingly, geeky 20 somethings who know and love all of this) to teach all the fundamentals, if you so choose.

We've got a bit to learn on it yet, which I'll start by reading the manual! Then, have to figure out the best location for the 240VAC Level 2 charge station...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 12:38:46 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 18:19:55 »
Oh, Alfred--that's priceless!
Yup, that chap has a wicked sense of humor.  :)

What about this report? I hope the design engineers are better than the testing engineers!  :o
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/06/ford-revises-c-max-fusion-mkz-hybrid-fiesta-fuel-economy-ratings/index.htm
Alfred

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2014, 20:24:23 »
Alfred, I KNEW you would bring this to attention here. Not relevant for me or for this. Here's why.

1. The report has to do with the published, printed on paper specifications for the EPA cycle test--not real world.

2. What I reported for my car is real world, not published but observed via the MPGe computer and the fuel flow meters. I can tell you that on my Flex and SHO, I don't care what the published specs say--but the car's internal fuel flow and consumption meters are spot on. I expect that the one on the Fusion too, is accurate.

Oh, one more thing. The dealer called and said we'll be getting a check for $525. That buys a lot of fuel and electricity for this car!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 10:57:19 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 11:35:10 »
Oh, and we are so happy with the FIRST car, we're replacing one of our drivers with a SECOND Fusion PEV. Our local dealer (bless his heart) found the second one in Virginia (normally out of the scope of dealer car exchanges; it's 500 miles away) and it will be here this coming week. Yes, another rebate coming due to erroneous EPA sticker numbers, but the real world use will save us (at least for the lease period) a LOT of money on fuel. Considering that gas is at $4.00 right now in many places here in Michigan, (been climbing steadily for months now) and reportedly on the way up from here, so far we're happy with the decision!  :)

Now another summer project will be installing that level 2 charger.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 12:33:54 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 16:43:19 »
Michael,
how disappointing.  ;)
I thought your second fuel efficient car would be this one: http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/vehicles/2014/bmwi/bmwi_i8redirect.aspx
0 to 60 mph in 4.2 seconds!  :o 
Alfred

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2014, 19:56:53 »
Alfred, no deals available to me. Efficiency is not only mpg or mpg-e, but total cost. The BMW would cost a fortune. Beside they are not allowed in our driveway... :D
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2014, 05:32:05 »
Mike, why would a BMW not be allowed in your drive way :) Glad I drove the Benz when I parked in your drive way ~grin~

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2014, 05:34:07 »
R-D

next time try Mike's resistance by arriving in a Trabant or Wartburg... :D
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2014, 14:41:15 »
Stan,

I mentioned this since I owned and drove 7 BMW's during the period of 1987 to 2013 four ///M3's, two Z4's and one 235is

The 535is is still in the family, my daughter drives this car now (she learned to drive in that car and we made a family drive across Canada/US), she will never sell it, at least I don't think so.

Last year, Mike invited us to come to his house after the Classic Car Show on the Green in his neighborhood,  I was at the car show with Peter (pj) and his wife in my then 2012 ///M3 ... I guess Mike would have politely said "Dieter you can park in the street" and that would have been fine, for he lives in a very nice area ~grin~ 

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2014, 19:40:46 »
Mike, why would a BMW not be allowed in your drive way :) Glad I drove the Benz when I parked in your drive way ~grin~

Figuratively, not literally of course. It had to do with our ownership, not that of friends and visitors. When the big blue oval is on my wife's pay stub…we don't lease a BMW.
Heck, I had an electrician here today and he had a Chevy truck of all things!  :D
(I let him in. Hope it didn't leak any oil…)

The second Fusion PEV has arrived at the dealer and we pick it up on Friday.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid