Author Topic: Those Stainless Steel Bumpers.............  (Read 9517 times)

hank sound

Those Stainless Steel Bumpers.............
« on: October 08, 2011, 23:49:09 »
 ???  Hi,  can anyone who has experience with stainless steel bumpers for their Pagodas, share their impression of taking this route.   I want to replace my old, faded and dented overrider bumpers on my 280.   Looking at all the options, these SS bumpers from the UK, at only a bit more $, seem like a very sensible approach.

Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated,

Hank

« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 23:58:57 by hank sound »

IXLR8

Re: Those Stainless Steel Bumpers.............
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 00:04:19 »
Hi--

I bought a set, and they are like jewels.

Purists will tell you that the stainless is not quite the same color as chrome. That's true, but They are much better than reproduction chrome. Also, rechroming your stock bumpers will cost more than the stainless.

On balance, the stainless for me is the right choice.

Joe

hank sound

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 00:16:17 »
Hi Joe,

Well........the purists sure wouldn't like the color of my "chrome" (duuuuuuullllll) !!!

Thanks so much for your thoughts.   You've just pushed the right button :):):)

Cheers, Hank
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 10:36:36 by Peter van Es »

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 07:00:11 »
Will you ever reproduce the grill star?  ;)
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Drewtee

• Silver
  • England, Kent, Sevenoaks
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 08:33:51 »

Nathan , email me the pics and I will try to upload for you.

Alfred, now that would be nice.

I might be a little biased here....
Its my company Harrington Group that produces these.
However, i am also an enthusiast and both my wife and I have a w113 each. Both with our bumpers fitted!
i would upload photos- but do not know how...

you can see the bumpers fitted on our silver 230sl here http://www.classiccars.vn/classiccar/website_cars/merc230.asp

if you want to see photos of bumpers fitted please give me an email address to send to.

regards

nathan
Andy Tee

Rhd 5 speed 728h with parchment interior
White Californian 280sl LHD
W111 3.5 Cab and Coupe both RHD

natred

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 09:31:51 »
Hi Alfred,

We have looked into this.
the problem with it is- its a trademarked logo! Legally we would be treading on thin ice.

Mercedes do know about us,our parts and our half sized Mercedes 300sl's, they like us. They have bought parts for their in house restorations quite a few times!
legally we can produce reproduction parts for any car, as long as we do not claim them to be OEM. however, badges and logos are a different story!

On another note and a bit of trivia.... Mercedes Benz do actually have a factory here in Saigon. Producing CARS! they are knock down kit E class, G class, S class and sprinters.  ??? Shame they cannot repair my 230sl injection pump.....

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 10:30:46 »
I've always loved your old Vespas - although would want a new engine and CVT gearbox!

My bumpers are getting ratty and once I recover from my current bill may well be in touch for a set of yours.
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

natred

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 10:51:17 »
Funny you should mention vespas, and new engines.....

i managed to get hold of 20 brand new vespa px 5 port reedvalve 14hp engines- which bolt straight in to the classic vespas! not CVT but they do have electric start- and are fast! twice the power in fact. 14 left!

JamesL

• Platinum
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 11:39:07 »
WOW, that should be fun/scary! I can't do gears ;D
James L

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 12:36:43 »
Will you ever reproduce the grill star?  ;)

Few wish to encounter the wrath of angry lawyers.  Guess you'll have to do it yourself.  http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/  ;)
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

JamesL

• Platinum
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 13:06:31 »
Michael

That reminds me of this: Richard's reactor
http://richardsreactor.blogspot.com/2011/05/110514-introduction.html

or

http://www.dangerouslaboratories.org/radscout.html

I know it's quite a distance from a bit of sandcasting in your yard to a Fukishima in your kitchen but we've all started a little project only for it to become a big one ;D
James L

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 15:20:49 »
Tosh, I've lived in Michigan since 1987.  My wife has lived here since 1985.  Shortly upon arrival, she noticed there is "always a Michigan connection" to things.  The backyard reactor?  Clinton Township--thankfully the OTHER side of town, a good distance away from here...but I remember the story!  Have you heard of "Rocket City Rednecks" a new National Geographic Show?  Look it up...

All kidding aside, the problem is the commercial manufacture of the 3-point star.  Barrels abound--they rarely break, but the stars often do.  A good star is perfect for a lost-wax casting.  Jewelry makers do it themselves all the time, albeiit on a slightly smaller scale.  Could also be made out of acrylic and painted with Cosmichrome or something similar.  You just won't be able to get anybody to do it on a commercial basis because of the lawyers.  If the price rises much beyond the $1,200 it costs now for a new Star, you can bet someone will be trying very hard.  There once were brass ones sold "under the table" here in the USA but alas, the lawyers found them too.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

hank sound

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 01:16:55 »
I might be a little biased here....
Its my company Harrington Group that produces these.
However, i am also an enthusiast and both my wife and I have a w113 each. Both with our bumpers fitted!
i would upload photos- but do not know how...

you can see the bumpers fitted on our silver 230sl here http://www.classiccars.vn/classiccar/website_cars/merc230.asp

if you want to see photos of bumpers fitted please give me an email address to send to.

regards

nathan

Hi Nathan,

I have the feeling that my 280SL, Ingrid, will be wearing your SS bumper set.   I would love to see additional pictures so, here's my email address: hankgarfield@sbcglobal.net  ....

Cheers, Hank

ncsurfer

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, NC, Raleigh
  • In good company!
    • Sandhills Motoring Festival, Pinehurst, NC
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 04:56:19 »
Does anyone know how much the SS bumpers are?
1970 280sl Horizon blue/navy, automatic
1973 450sl Silver/red, automatic
1985 280sl red/beige, 5 speed
1995 E320 Cab. Black/Cream, Auto
2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder
2008 Porsche Boxster RS 60 Spyder
1964 MB L1113 Firetruck

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 17:53:10 »
Here is the link to the company's web site with prices:
http://www.groupharrington.com/en/part/140/mercedes-pagoda-w113-bumpers.html
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 19:08:40 »
Tosh, I've lived in Michigan since 1987.  My wife has lived here since 1985.  Shortly upon arrival, she noticed there is "always a Michigan connection" to things.  The backyard reactor?  Clinton Township--thankfully the OTHER side of town, a good distance away from here...but I remember the story!  Have you heard of "Rocket City Rednecks" a new National Geographic Show?  Look it up...

All kidding aside, the problem is the commercial manufacture of the 3-point star.  Barrels abound--they rarely break, but the stars often do.  A good star is perfect for a lost-wax casting.  Jewelry makers do it themselves all the time, albeiit on a slightly smaller scale.  Could also be made out of acrylic and painted with Cosmichrome or something similar.  You just won't be able to get anybody to do it on a commercial basis because of the lawyers.  If the price rises much beyond the $1,200 it costs now for a new Star, you can bet someone will be trying very hard.  There once were brass ones sold "under the table" here in the USA but alas, the lawyers found them too.

I had to get a star and barrel for a 190SL last week and it was almost $1,800.00 list! I priced it out only to find that the new price was 300 more than I quoted, so I had to go back and tell my customer that the new price was more and ask if he still wanted it.

I'll check first before I price stuff like that.......
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

pj

• Gold
  • Canada, ON, London, Ontario
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
Re: Those Stainless Steel Bumpers. . .
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 19:20:22 »
Regarding the Harrington bumpers or other aftermarket products. . . here's something I've been wondering about. Why were the original bumpers designed in 2 pieces? I presume that the "seam" in the middle joins the 2. In this day and age when folks ship fenders and hardtops and ZF5s around the countryside, surely it's not impossible to ship a Pagoda bumper all in one piece. Wouldn't it be better that way?

And further to that. . . the bumpers are beautiful, the front of the car is beautiful. But what up with the pushed-in flat section? I presume it's to hold a registration plate. But for crying out loud, in N.A. our registration plates aren't that wide and besides that, many Pagodas are in areas where it's okay to drive w/o front plates anyhow. I'd hang mine underneath. Wouldn't it improve the look if the bumper line continued all across, instead of being interrupted by the flattened part? So, could Harrington make the bumpers that way?
Peter J
1965 230SL #09474 named Dagny
2018 B250 4matic named Rigel