Author Topic: Entire NOS Front Clip on Ebay  (Read 7145 times)

RickM

Entire NOS Front Clip on Ebay
« on: May 07, 2010, 19:24:22 »

hauser

Re: Entire NOS Front Clip on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 21:54:00 »
Back in the day you could actually order an entire clip from MB.

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 10:22:36 »
some interesting vehicles in the shop. A 914, for example

What's under wraps on the lift (see seat listing)?
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

al_lieffring

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 14:42:03 »
Installing these clips on old rusty 230sl's was my job I was a teen in the mid 70's. The road salt used in the Mid-western states quickly took its toll on Pagodas that were used as daily drivers. A lot of the cars brought to the States from Europe by G.I.s also often had holes rusted through at the bottom mouldings, along the hood above the inner fender brace and above the head light buckets.. Having the full front and rear clip available made quick work out of reskinning a 230sl. and as I mentioned several times before they sold for a little under $500. USD each at the time.

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 19:24:55 »
Here's an interesting replacement part...to say the least.

http://...

I find the weld quality quite interesting...

Hmm,  ???
He already offered that front fender assembly a while ago ... Obviously he could not sell it for that money... Unless he has got several of those front "clips". But the pics are identical with the ones last time.

He is selling good seats and other nice parts as well  - at a price of course... Another guy who is parting out pagodas again. Well, very sad :'(. Everybody is parting out SLs nowadays ... In a few years there are no 113s left (with the exception of Michael Salemi's, John Lewenauer's and mine perhaps...) :o

A bit sarcastic Achim today ...
Achim
(Germany)

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 19:47:43 »
I thought yours was parts awaiting putting back together - or have you had a busy couple of years in Magdeburg?!
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

ctaylor738

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Falls Church
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 20:10:44 »
At least the third time for this, and the price is down from $7500.
Chuck Taylor
1963 230SL #00133
1970 280SL #13027 (restored and sold)
1966 230SL #15274 (sold)
1970 280SL #14076 (sold)
Falls Church VA

RickM

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 18:01:34 »
Can anyone comment on the accuracy of the description, regarding the clip being fabricated from two pieces. It appears to be true when looking at it in naked form.

If one were to find a parts car with an intact front end would removing the entire front clip be the best way to go instead of doing individual fenders? (It would seem so)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 18:40:43 »
Achim,

Yes there is a few 113's apparently being parted out...with parts being absorbed by those that are being restored.  My local shop has 3 of them under restoration now.

I think there will be a balance of more cares being parted out combined with more being restored, which might yield a better and larger rolling stock.

Just a guess.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 10:41:58 »
Rick,
My car is currently without a front end except for the front frame rails. It received one of these front clips in 1980 regrettably from someone with an air chisel, a torch and a few sticks of brass(Al, I Know it was you! Were you in Cleveland in 1980?).

I can see no reason to keep it as a one piece front if you were to fillet a parts car. the cowl panel is particularly tough to get off as the front edge is folded over a flange that is sticking up on the inner cowl and unless you needed it you would be better off keeping your old one attached to your car.  Basically the one piece front is comprised of 5 panels(fenders, nosepanel, cowl panel and front reinforcement) so there is no advantage to leaving it in one piece and it is a lot easier to move around the separate parts.

I think it will sell in the $3,000USD range as that is what the fenders and nose panel are worth and no one needs a cowl panel except me. If my metal man had though my nose piece was beyond saving I would have been interested.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 10:53:47 by Shvegel »

nikopu

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 17:43:28 »
I exchanged quite a few emails with the seller couple of weeks ago. Very friendly and genuine sounding chap. He also sent me some more detailed photographs of the part, highlighting two small areas that had minor issues with rust.

Eventhough I need almost all the panels for the front of my project car, I can't justify to myself paying very much extra instead of buying brand new individual panels.

One further concern. I have heard some stories about hidden rust attacking metal underneath the original protection coating of MB replacement parts. This could be an issue with an old unpainted part such as this.. Does anybody here have any experience of this?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 20:21:37 by nikopu »

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 17:54:14 »
Nikopu,

Keep in mind that body panels made by K&K (see vendor list) are superior in quality of steel to NOS.  Galvalume generally, and thicker gauge I believe.  No reason to spend extra on something not as good.

Based on a rumor, I called Cheryl at K&K today, 5/12/10.  The W113 sheet metal parts they sell are either of their own manufacture in Sparta Michigan, or from MB themselves.  The only eastern European sheet metal they have are two and only 2 parts on the 190SL line.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 18:23:43 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

bsimaz

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 12:10:58 »
When I was getting parts for my car I talked to a guy the had one of these.  Plus (he says) about 1/2 semi trailer of other parts.  When he moved to michigan he got rid of most of it.  Just saved the smaller stuff that was easily transported.   Wish I could have met him about a year ealier I would have spent a lot less on my repairs.