Author Topic: Tulpen Rally Car Check  (Read 9037 times)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Tulpen Rally Car Check
« on: April 20, 2009, 13:50:37 »
As many of you know, I'm co-driver (navigator) in the Historic Tulip Rally that starts on the 3rd of May and finishes on the 9th of May 2009. We'll be driving from Annecy to Noordwijk.

This Saturday we had the car-conformity check (as well as the document control) during which they make sure the car has its official Fiva papers, and that any modifications are "in-period" (with the exception of minor items such as Halogen headlamps, safety belts, fire-extinguishers, battery and electronic ignitions).

There are a number of Pagoda's participating as seen on this small collage of cars. I spoke to one of the owners at length and alerted them to this site... they are the owners of the grey Pagoda with the white tirewalls... if you are here, Welcome.

Note the seats in the white Pagoda on the right. Also note the little green Alfa on the left... that's the one we'll be driving. Other interesting cars: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, right-hand drive. I don't know if they'll make it, they had some starting problems, but they'll certainly be driving in style. Other exotics: Maserati 3500 GT, and an Aston Martin (I'm not quite sure if it's a DB4 or 5 or 6.)

Peter

« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 21:42:59 by vanesp »
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

gwuisman

• Senior
  • Netherlands, Zuid-Holland, Oegstgeest
  • Keep it simpel
Re: Tulpen Rally Car Check
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 21:23:30 »
Peter,

What is the estimated time of arrival in Noordwijk at the 9th of May?

Gerard Wuisman

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 08:48:32 »
The official docs state that cars will be arriving through the course of the afternoon, I reckon from about 13:15-16:00 (but no guarantees... you can always check the official website at http://www.tulpenrallye.nl/). The last day the starting order is such that the lowest ranked competitor starts first, and the likely winners start last... since it is a regularity rally, if everyone drives their perfect time (and does not make any navigation mistakes) a competitor should be arriving every minute. Note that you get penalised for both being too early, as well as being late... There are 215 competitors.

At the finish competitors are traditionally welcomed with Tulips, and Raw Herring and Corenwyn (which is a posh version of Dutch Jenever, a strong gin). If I do well, I could even take some herring and Corenwyn to PUB... to let you sample the goods  ;)

We are competitor 199, and we have a blog on the Tulpen Rally site where you can follow our progress... I promise to post photographs and texts in English too from my iPhone when en-route!

Note that during the period 2 May - 10 May the Administrator of this site is unable to do anything due to the Tulpenrally!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

gwuisman

• Senior
  • Netherlands, Zuid-Holland, Oegstgeest
  • Keep it simpel
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 13:56:32 »
I was a short time at the finish. Unfortunately I did not meet Peter as he was already in and not walking around (his car). I made some pictures (see http://picasaweb.google.nl/gwuisman/Tulpenrally090520091# ) with my cell phone. Sorry for the poor quality.

Gerard Wuisman
1971 280sl
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 20:44:05 by gwuisman »

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
2009 Tulip Rally Report
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 18:17:03 »
On Saturday my driver Paul and I started off the 1100 km drive from Hilversum to Annecy, France, below Geneva. We made it to Dijon where we had an excellent dinner in l'Escargot, a lovely restaurant with lots of regional French dishes (snails). In Dijon we spotted some other Tulip Rally competitors (a few British teams who have a fetish for small, underpowered cars (such as an Austin A40) that nevertheless sound great albeit that they look a little puny).

On Sunday  we continued on to Annecy, arriving around 12:00. We checked in for the rally, into the hotel, and then went for an excellent lunch at a restaurant at the lake. Sunday night there was a cocktail reception... followed by bed, as the next day we would start quite early.

On Monday the rally immediately required hard riving. Little mountain roads got us high up in the alps, to 1800 meters, where there was still snow and a lot of fog impeding progress. You had to drive seriously fast, and not make any navigation mistakes to arrive at each checkpoint (there's about 8 each day) in time, as both early and late arrival are penalised. Paul drove very fast, and we missed some route controls (letters on the side of the road, and, as we would later discover, hidden in particular places), but we ended up with a reasonable score and only a couple of minutes penalty for lateness.

That night we discovered that most of our competitors had really had difficulty making the times, and ended up with many, many penalty points (some in the thousands). We learned that night that the maps they provided us with each morning just before the rally were 10 year old geographical maps in a scale of 1:10000, meaning each millimeter equates to a 100 meters. In the mean time, in the interest of road safety, the French have smoothed out many of these roads.

The regulations of the rally state however that you attempt to drive roads on the map, not in real life. So that means that if I see a left hook (90 degrees) in 700 meters, and my driver spots a clean curve left starting at 650 meters, we need to be aware... frequently there's a bit of old road just after the start of the curve, or a path, or a parking place. Thats where they would hide a route control (a letter)... Not only that, but frequently they photoshop out roads from the map to make keeping track of where you are even more difficult.

On these maps you plot your route by plotting the shortest distance from Time control 1 to Time control 2 via points, or arrows drawn on the map.

So the navigator (that's me) sits there, plotting, measuring (with a magnifying glass) and using a precise odometer to check where I'm at. The driver needs to keep the car whole, drive fast, make sure he does not shake me about too much and check for control letters.

After the first day we ended up 6th, which was pretty good as the field in our class consisted of 55 cars and we were the highest newcomers. The second day we did well too, and consolidated our 6th position but could not figure out whey we kept missing so many hidden route controls... turned out the organisation has many more tricks than the one described above up it's sleeve.

The third day was disastrous. After a circuit test in which we needed to drive within the second around a track twice, which Paul did very well with only 1 second penalty each lap, we ended up on a map which had been photoshopped so badly that we lost 27 minutes figuring out where we were. And if you report more than 30 minutes late at any time check, you get maximum penalties as if you had not reported in. So it was essential we reduced our delay as it would be too close for comfort. Spirited driving by Paul and better navigation by me made sure that by the end of the day we had eliminated our delays... but we felt bad because we would be hit with many penalty points. And we did... for both 27 minutes lateness, and again some 5 missed route controls.

We were very surprised to learn Thursday morning that we had actually climbed to 5th place overall... so everyone else must have had even worse problems. However because we kept missing so many RC's I got very suspicious about them, expecting them in every nook and cranny. However, the terrain we were driving through had changed tremendously... no longer Alpine mountains, but sweeping roads, and the rally organisers pulled a whole other set of tricks out of their repertoire to mess me up. So whilst other crews were able to improve, we were not and dropped back to 6th. And even worse, on Friday we dropped back to 8th... and were overtaken by one other crew who did the rally for the first time.

The teams that finished 1st to 6th place were all experienced crews, with this being their second rally, but for some even 4th or more... So being the second best newcomer was not too bad. Regrettably only the first 6 finishers received a tulip award and got on stage... Must do better next year.

On this rally the Pagoda's did really well. One finished 5th in the Touring class, but the others drove well too. In the mountains they are a little heavy but on the roads going north after the second day they came into their own... and they're a bit more comfortable for the navigator than the little Alfa Romeo spider I was in.

Enclosed in this post, and the next one, some photographs for your enjoyment.

Peter

Photographs:

1. 300SL driven in Expert class to an impressive 3rd place... and believe me, that takes some doing when the competition is in an orginal Works prepared Big Austin Healey...

2. Little Porsche accident showing that the first day mountain roads were really not a walk in the park!

3. Pagoda with recent SLK seats... note the clever colour coordination

4. Pagoda father and daughter team ended up 10th in Sport Class... they were last year's Tour class winners

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 18:23:53 »
More Photographs

1. Father and daughter team Jaap and Chloë Sterk ended up strong in 5th place in Tourclass in only their second showing!

2. Paul and his car at a Time Control in a typical field of Rapeseed in France

3. Patrick Verzijden and Carla Hoogweg racing around a circuit... they finished in a Pagoda they'd only owned a few months and driven only a few hundred miles in the Tour class on 15th place as newcomers also (and I hope you are here signed up and reading this!  :D)

4. Peter being interviewed about the rally at the Finish in Noordwijk... and Gerard, we arrived exactly at our allotted time of 14:18!

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 19:14:53 »
Thanks for the report, Peter.

Enjoyed that!

naj
68 280SL

pagode rob

• Junior Level
  • Netherlands, Drenthe, Apeldoorn
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 19:29:31 »
Here some pics of our arrival at the finish of the Tulpenrallye in Noordwijk.

Greetings, Rob
280SL 726 beige grey

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 23:00:54 »
Thanks Peter,

Looks like fun!  It's nice to see these old relics being used for these kind of events.  Too many are lost to museums and garages where they can never be seen or heard in action!!
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Kemal

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, London
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 21:53:46 »
Hi Peter,

Thank you for sharing, :) now treat her to a full valet.  :P

Regards,
Kemal

280SL
Manual LHD69
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 22:27:52 by kemal shah »
Kemal
280SL
Manual LHD69

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 08:16:52 »
I hope the owner treats his Alfa Romeo to a full valet, cause we weren't driving my Pagoda...  ;)

Rob, thanks for those pictures. Since I haven't spotted your Pagoda in Annecy at the start, I presume you only drove the last day (for sponsors and other dignitaries), right?

More of my photographs available here: http://picasaweb.google.nl/vanes.peter/Tulpenrally#

Peter

(ps: this is my 1000th post! And no, I probably won't stop posting now!)

pagode rob

• Junior Level
  • Netherlands, Drenthe, Apeldoorn
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 09:59:13 »
Rob, thanks for those pictures. Since I haven't spotted your Pagoda in Annecy at the start, I presume you only drove the last day (for sponsors and other dignitaries), right?

Right Peter, but we had fun for 6 days!!

Rob
280SL 726 beige grey