Author Topic: How to render a Pagoda worthless  (Read 12426 times)

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
Re: How to render a Pagoda worthless
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 03:30:09 »
Perhaps it's worthless to you or a collector, but to someone who just wants a reliable, stylish, relatively unique hot rod, this could be a good start.  His claim of "only one known to exist" is a stretch.  I've seen at least four other small block V-8 conversions pointed out by other indignant posters on this site alone.  It still has a lot of interior work to do and that steering wheel is too ugly for a pimped out Neon, but it's not worthless.  With all that horsepower, I hope he upgraded the brakes.
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 04:00:15 »
There are still some good parts left on the car -- I'll take the headlight doors and the tail lights...   I particularly dislike the abandoned heater inlet and outlet pipes coming through the firewall.   Ewwwwww.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Dash808

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Kaneohe
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 05:21:50 »
It would be a little more tolerable if he actually finished the job and made it look half way decent and "original", but when you gut the interior and botch the exterior...   And $32k is slightly  :o :o :o optimistic. 
Chan Johnson
'67 250sl
Napoli Italian Euro

Bang Bang Booogie!

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 17:03:40 »
Couldn't he have done as well doing minor mods to a 107 car?  Seems like that would have been much cheaper.   My husband had a 1957 Volvo Sport (fiberglass convertible - Volvo made 60 something of them in 1956/57).  An extremely rare car.  We saw one for sale and went to look at it.  The owner had gutted the drive train, and more importantly, the dash.  He got rid of LOTS of parts that were unique to the car that can not be replaced.  Instead he put in a bunch of crap that looked worse than the 113 on eBay.  The result was a dreadful flimsy "hot rod" that was worthless as a hotrod and nearly worthless because of all of the missing Volvo parts.    At least with a 113 you can get the parts to turn it back again. 

My opinion on the 230 SL is that the person spent the money on the car to make himself happy and he should consider that he got his money's worth by doing it.  Any expectation that the car is worth anything to others just because HE likes it is unrealistic.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Mark280SL

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, PA, New Hope
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 22:26:24 »
It's a one of a kind alright.

There's no accounting for taste and everything seems to have its price but at the end of the day with so many other cars he could have "done this to" why he chose a pagoda is beyond me, there many other vehicles that would be far more appropriate for this kind of customization, if you could call it that.

As it's the holiday time of the year I'll have hope that somewhere down the line someone will undo what's been done there and treat the car right.

Mark

psmith

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 06:10:24 »
Here's another one of a kind.  It almost looks like a factory experiment  ???

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 07:58:18 »
That last one is actually a "Shooting Brake", a two door car with a big boot to go hunting with. A sort of Gentleman's express. This was probably executed by a proper Carrosier, and for someone with quite a lot of money. Probably fairly tastefully done.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 12:05:32 »
and I think my hardtop is heavy ;)
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 17:12:14 »
That last one is actually a "Shooting Brake", a two door car with a big boot to go hunting with. A sort of Gentleman's express. This was probably executed by a proper Carrosier, and for someone with quite a lot of money. Probably fairly tastefully done.

I like it.  I like it a lot.   But I've always been a sucker for hatchbacks.  They are just SOOOO convenient.  I thought my C230 Sport Coupe was an extremely pleasant, attractive, and functional car.  Too bad that the quality was in the crapper.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

perry113

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, NY, Rensselaer
    • http://picasaweb.google.com/peterperry911113/1970280SECoupe#
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 23:55:55 »
Here's another one of a kind.  It almost looks like a factory experiment  ???

That is very very cool. Does this car still exist???
Peter Perry
1970 911T Bahia Red
1972 911T Albert Blau
1963 220seb coupe barn
1965 230SL Light Ivory automatic
1966 230SL Havana Brown 4 speed Barn Find
1970 280SE living 3.5 donor car

JPMOSE

• Gold
  • USA, DE, Harbeson
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2008, 14:56:48 »
Pete Smith....that car you posted is quite unique...in a strange way I like it!   Do you have more pics?   I'd love to see what the interior layout looks like.   
Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1970 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet
1987 560SL

pierre

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2008, 20:46:20 »
The pagoda shooting break is definitively NOT a worthless pagoda but a real prototypo made by the italian carrossier Pietro Frua.
Here some more pics and info:
http://www.pietro-frua.de/1966_mercedes.htm
 The result is not at all a conversion or a tuning made by a fool, but really a collector car, and a famous one you all should know!

Mark280SL

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, PA, New Hope
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 23:13:33 »

Now this one is definitely not worthless; and in fact very interesting and beautifully done based on what I see in the photo documentation. Wish I could read German.

The pagoda shooting break is definitively NOT a worthless pagoda but a real prototypo made by the italian carrossier Pietro Frua.
Here some more pics and info:
http://www.pietro-frua.de/1966_mercedes.htm
 The result is not at all a conversion or a tuning made by a fool, but really a collector car, and a famous one you all should know!
Mark

psmith

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 05:27:04 »
Sorry J.P. those are the only photos I have, and I can't remember where I got them.  It is an interesting car, but I prefer the hood and grill on the stock 113.

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2008, 09:53:05 »
Me too - I am reminded of a Mk1 XJ6!

However, looking at the German site, I think it's chagned hands in the past few years and still exists (Spain/Canary Islands?)
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

hkollan

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Spain, Castilla-La Mancha
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2008, 14:15:44 »
Hi,

The car was commissioned  for sale here in Spain at Bolsaclasicos.com some years ago.
I was considering to go and have a look at it, but never got around to do it since it's a few hours drive from where I live.
After a while it appeared to have been sold, not sure if it went to a foreign buyer or not.
If remember correctly the asking price back then  was around 20k Euros.

Hans

Hans K, Cuenca, Spain
1968 280 SL 387 Blue met., parchment leather
1971 280 SL 462 Beige met, Brown leather
1968 280 SL 180 Silver, Red leather
1964 300 SE Lang 040 Black w/Red leather
1985 500 SL 735 Astral Silver w/Black leather
1987 560 SEC 199 Black met., Black leather

Halftrack

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 06:29:41 »
It is a matter of taste, I suppose.
The engine conversion on the first car was disappointing, but I actually stopped breathing for a few moments when I saw the ghastly interior.
On the shooting brake, I can appreciate the functional reconfiguration but winced at the "sedanification" of the nose/grill.
Why do I keep thinking of a Groucho Marx nose/glasses on Scarlett Johansson?
-Mark D.