Author Topic: removing interior door grips.  (Read 4450 times)

marti

removing interior door grips.
« on: November 28, 2008, 06:58:09 »
Hello.  I read all the posts on door handle grips and still can't figure out HOW or IFI need to remove it in order to take off the door panel to get to the window mechanisms.  I just received the felt glass holders from buds benz to fix my passenger window.  I found a great post on that but can't seem to figure out how to get the door grip off.  is it attached just to the panel? or does it attach to the door itself?  Any help you can give would be appreiciated. 

marti

jeffc280sl

Re: removing interior door grips.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 14:29:22 »
The door grips are held in place by 2 screws under each chrome end cap which go through the door panel and into the aluminum door structure.  The caps can be removed by gently prying the outer edge off.  Once the outer edge is loose the chrome trim piece can be slid out of the way to access the phillips head screws.

marti

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 05:19:16 »
thanks.  Got them off.  Project looks like it iisn't going to be so easy.  I found a broken part down on the bottom of the door--it looks like a guide of somet type.  I am going to look it up.  I guess I may have to post a picture if I can't figure out what it is.

marti

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 08:36:00 »
Marti,

Do some reading before you do some fixing. I've just done a quick search using 'window guide' and the results would be useful to you. Perhaps this is the part you found: http://sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=9059.0

Many people have had this experience, including me. Many of associated pitfalls are covered in these posts.

James
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 14:26:11 »
Marti,

Some things you should be aware of.

1)  Be careful reattaching the door grips or handles; as you see they fit with two phillips-head screws.  Despite being quite careful one of mine has stripped its threads and I have yet to devise the proper repairs for it.  I believe these screws are going into a zinc or aluminum castiing which is quite soft.

2)  The pieces you found on the bottom of the door are the guide jaws.  These rattle around and cause havoc which is why you are in there in the first place.

3)  In my opinion, a well-repaired guide jaw is preferable to the glass-welting "repair kit" that Bud's Benz has sold you.  I installed this in my drivers door and it will be coming out.  The problem is it does not provide enough support to hold the glass, particulartly in the glass "up" position.  My window can move back and forth quite a bit; this is not good.  My passenger door glass is quite rigid the way it is supposed to be.  Others have found this Bud's kit to be fine.  Not for me.

I had a lot of rattleing around in my door and thought that the problem was the same as yours; that's what everyone told me.  That was NOT the problem.  The problem on my car was the bottom of the window winding mechanism, when the window was all the way down, was contacting the bottom of the door.  This "metal on metal" contact resulted in a terrible rattle.  As I mostly drive the car in the summer with the windows down I never thought to raise it to see if that had anything to do with the noise.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

graphic66

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 16:01:57 »
I am going to second the idea of repairing the original system. I put in the Bud's Benz channels and they don't work very well at all.

al_lieffring

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 20:27:23 »

I had a lot of rattleing around in my door and thought that the problem was the same as yours; that's what everyone told me.  That was NOT the problem.  The problem on my car was the bottom of the window winding mechanism, when the window was all the way down, was contacting the bottom of the door.  This "metal on metal" contact resulted in a terrible rattle.  As I mostly drive the car in the summer with the windows down I never thought to raise it to see if that had anything to do with the noise.

Michael

There are two window stops where the regulator attaches to the bottom of the glass, on the rear one is a 6mm bolt for a bump stop. It should be tipped with a rubber bumper that keeps the window mechanism from rattling against the bottom of the door, This is the same 6mm rubber capped bolt that is used for the stops on the back corners of the hood (bonnet).

Mine is laying inside my door pocket because I didn't find it untill after I had put my driver's door pannel back on. The rubber tip is missing as I think you will find to be the case on your car too.

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 18:11:08 »
We also repaired the existing system by using the guide jaws, felt, epoxy.  All is good.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California