Author Topic: Posting Pictures  (Read 11611 times)

psmith

Posting Pictures
« on: November 23, 2008, 05:16:40 »
Hi Peter,

I apologize in advance for bringing this up, because I think you answered it about 30,000 times...  I am a Firefox user and I am having trouble posting photos.  I read through the FAQ's and I learned to make sure the popup blocker is disabled for this site, but still no luck.  I am careful to make sure the file names and photo size are correct as with the old site.  In the old site I would get a popup dialog box with information on the uploaded file that I would cut and paste into my post, but I don't get that in the new site.   ???

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Re: Posting Pictures
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 10:47:07 »
Pete,

in all fairness I have to admit that although I tested the new site with Internet Explorer, Chrome (Google's new browser), and Safari on the Mac extensively, I've never tried uploading a picture with FireFox yet. I am correcting that deficiency right now... posting this message with FireFox running under Linux. And I am going to try and upload a picture now.

Press Additional Options...
Attachment view opens
Use Browse button to select a file, less than 256K
Found a picture with my Pagoda in the snow, opened it

And will now press Post to upload the post...

Now note that with the new system, no pop-up box opens, and no code gets inserted into your message... so maybe you were expecting the old behaviour... and it is not like that anymore. In fact, attaching pictures is much easier than on the old site. So please try again!

For those who have not found the FAQ on Images yet. I will remove the defunct reference to pop-up blockers.

Peter
(posted with FireFox)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 22:12:34 by vanesp »
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

psmith

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 19:12:30 »
Hi Peter, It works!  My problem was that the images don't show up in the preview, and I incorrectly assumed it didn't work, so I didn't complete the post.  I really like the thumbnails that expand in the message.

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 19:27:22 »
Much better!
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 23:15:43 »
I am trying to post pictures in-line with text.  I see that if I hit the little "add picture" button, it will insert "" into my text and I can have my own image URL between those and it will post.  I also see that if I attach images, the will appear at the bottom of my post.   Finally, if I right-click on my attached image at the bottom of the post, it will provide me with the sl113 url of the picture.  If I place THAT within the "" it will in fact display my picture in-line with text.   The problem is that the FAQ says not to do this, instead to host my own images.  Why?  It's already on the site...   Finally, if I do put the site's URL of my image in-line, it still leaves the little image of it at the bottom of the post   I don't know how to remove that.  If I modify my post and unclick the box for that image, it deletes it from the 113 server and it goes away.  But if I look at other postings, I see that it is possible to have images appear in-line that ARE hosted on the 113 server.  Such as:  http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=6803.0 for example....   Can someone please explain?   Thanks, Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 10:21:23 »
Scoot,

as you've found out, ther are different ways that lead to Rome. This new software handles attachments differently than the old board. What you see in old posts is the old software's handling of attachments.

Many forums allow attachments, but delete older attachments to make space. We don't do that, because the pictures people attache generally give lots of information.

The Pagoda SL Group however does not delete attachments, so we actually prefer you to attach a picture to the post, rather than you hosting it yourself or on flicker. There are two reasons for that:
  • included images can be very large, and lead to layout problems for people with smaller screen sizes, whereas our attachments are shown as thumbnails and only expanded when clicked upon.
  • we get to keep the attachment for as long as the Pagoda SL group exists

Now where in the FAQ did you see the message that you should host pictures yourself, because then I'll change that?

Attachment handling is different in a subtle way too... you cannot see an attachment unless you are logged in. If you are putting it in-line with the text, then you must leave it as an attachment also.

So the posts/images you are seeing where it does appear to work were originally posted on the old forum software. That method does not work anymore.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 18:24:03 »
Scoot,

as you've found out, ther are different ways that lead to Rome. This new software handles attachments differently than the old board. What you see in old posts is the old software's handling of attachments.

So the posts that I see that have _only_ a full-sized picture without a tiny picture at the bottom are an artifact of the new software and the old forum posts, right?

Now where in the FAQ did you see the message that you should host pictures yourself, because then I'll change that?

My mistake, I mis-read the FAQ

Thanks for the clarification.

Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 10:30:27 »
So the posts that I see that have _only_ a full-sized picture without a tiny picture at the bottom are an artifact of the new software and the old forum posts, right?

Correct!

Peter

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 15:04:29 »
This (see picture) is why we prefer people to upload pictures to www.sl113.org rather than linking to pictures hosted elsewhere... the intent is that our topics remain useful for many years to come... whereas an external site can always change it's retention policy without  informing you!

Peter