Author Topic: Protecting yourself from SPAM  (Read 7064 times)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Protecting yourself from SPAM
« on: November 14, 2008, 07:12:38 »
Dear all,

Recently I posted a message about Forum spam becoming more prevalent, and that I therefore require manual activation of members. Someone asked me if their e-mail address  was safe from spammers, and should they not remove their e-mail address.

First of all, forum spammers aim to post messages to medicines or pron sites, attempting to get clicks to these sites. They are not after e-mail addresses.
Secondly, if you remove your e-mail address from your membership, we have NO way of contacting you, and you have NO way of getting back into the forum. It is actually impossible as changing your e-mail address requires you to validate your e-mail address. Which you can't if you've entered an invalid e-mail address. Finally, it is in conflict with our terms of use.

However, there is an option in the profile which I recommend all of you employ for safety: go to Account related settings and then set the tick mark behind Hide email address from public?. Now the system will not share your e-mail address with anyone.

People can still communicate with you through private messages, but they cannot e-mail you. We recommend that you set this.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Re: Protecting yourself from SPAM
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 22:50:26 »
For all existing members I have just set the Hide email address on. If you would like to divulge your e-mail address you need to turn it off yourself. New members after the date of posting this message should ensure they select the option they like in their Profile.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 02:31:46 »
Hi,
I have checked the check-box for "hide e-mail address" and I still see the envelope in the members area.
Am I doing something wrong?
Sorry this is such a lame question.
Mark
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 05:20:31 »
I have checked the check-box for "hide e-mail address" and I still see the envelope in the members area.
Am I doing something wrong?
Sorry this is such a lame question.

Your email is hidden from the rest of us (I just checked), but it's not hidden from you.
And there are no lame questions...  :)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 05:24:09 by waqas »
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 17:01:49 »
Thank you !!
I can't tell you how much I appreciate this site.
Regards,
Mark
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold