Author Topic: Cognac Carpet  (Read 13733 times)

pagodapete

• Regular
  • USA, CA, San Diego
    • http://www.motoringinvestments.com
Cognac Carpet
« on: November 17, 2003, 17:34:52 »
Hi,
I just ordered all new leather for one of my cars in Cognac and was told by GAHH that the Cognac carpet has been discontinued.  Does anyone know of a supplier of the Cognac carpet?  I am also assuming that if a car had Cognac seats that it had Cognac carpet as well.  If not, what other color might be correct?

If the Cognac is not available I will have to choose between Bamboo, Palomino, Brown-Gold or maybe something else.

This is the multi-loop carpet of a '69 model.

Brian Peters
Motoring Investments
Brian Peters
Motoring Investments

n/a

Re: Cognac Carpet
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2003, 18:41:46 »
The cognac interior (code 250 I think) has a brown square-weave carpet in that year, I think. The Meredith book, which is a pretty good source but not infallible, says the carpets were 8008 brown and the headliner was 8038 bamboo. This is what my car, which has its original interior, seems to have. Interestingly, cognac 250 was also available in tex, which would give you the best of both worlds, but I have never seen it. Mind you, I haven't looked at that many SLs.

pagodapete

• Regular
  • USA, CA, San Diego
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2003, 19:16:46 »
Jim,
I was under the impression that the '69 models had a multiloop carpet rather than the square weave of the older W113 cars.  Actually I have a '68 with an original interior that is multiloop(green).  Is it possible that 280's came with either type of carpet?
quote:
Originally posted by jim rosenthal

The cognac interior (code 250 I think) has a brown square-weave carpet in that year, I think. The Meredith book, which is a pretty good source but not infallible, says the carpets were 8008 brown and the headliner was 8038 bamboo. This is what my car, which has its original interior, seems to have. Interestingly, cognac 250 was also available in tex, which would give you the best of both worlds, but I have never seen it. Mind you, I haven't looked at that many SLs.

Brian Peters
Motoring Investments
Brian Peters
Motoring Investments

A Dalton

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2003, 20:58:56 »
113.044 with both leather or Tex in Cognac/8006  came with Brown -8008 carpet/ Multi-loop. Trim codes 140 w/tex, 250 w/leather
 No other combo.
 230/250 Cognac came with Brown-6454 in both leather or Tex.
 Squareweave.  Trim codes 120 w/tex and 216 w/leather.

Note that Cognac color codes of the earlier trims was Tex/2402, and leather code cognac/1505.
 I notice the 280 trims are not listed on this site, so I will send them if needed.

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2003, 06:48:02 »
I have cognac leather

Bamboo headliner (and sun-visors)

and

Blue carpet :oops:

It looks wonderful (on a light metallic blue 1969 280SL) but not standard, as far as I am aware
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2003, 08:14:42 »
A Dalton,

If you have info that would make our databases more complete we would greatly appreciate your contribution.  You should be able to use the Add Record button at the top of the table to make your entries.  Try to maintain the same format as the existing records.

Thanks

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

n/a

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2003, 14:59:31 »
I have a 1970 with cognac leather (250) and the recently replace original carpet was a multi-loop in cognac. The original drivers floor mat had the MB logo and part number embossed in the plastic heal pad. I did a lot of research before buying the replacement carpet set, but remained unconvinced that cognac was not original.
Cognac is apparently not always available. When I bought my carpet set several places had it in stock, including GAHH and Bud's Benz.

Regards,
Stan

pagodapete

• Regular
  • USA, CA, San Diego
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2003, 15:15:03 »
GAHH has sent me three samples of carpet.  I am trying to determine if one of them might be close to the #8008 brown.  I was trying to attach a photo of the carpet samples that GAHH sent to me but the page won't load for some reason.  If anyone knows what the Brown #8008 looks like, email me off list and I will email the photo of the samples.

Or, better still does anyone know of a quality source of the Brown #8008 carpet?

Thanks,

Brian Peters
Motoring Investments
Brian Peters
Motoring Investments

rwmastel

• Platinum
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2003, 07:15:21 »
Uploaded photos must be less than 80 KB in size.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1994 E420
Rodd

2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

n/a

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2003, 20:06:19 »
No, Pete, I think you are right, actually. I am sure about the color, but I think the earlier cars had square-weave and the later ones had loop or nylon carpet. Mine are a dark brown. Interestingly, I ordered carpet mats (when I got the car it had a three sets of somewhat aged coco mats piled on top of each other in the footwells) and told the mat company 'dark brown'- and they sent me carpet samples, one of which matched just about perfectly. From which I suspect that these carpets are close to their original color and haven't faded too much if at all.

rwmastel

• Platinum
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2003, 20:13:06 »
Pic of carpet from Brian (he can't post images).

Download Attachment: carpet1.jpg
63.55 KB

Brian says:
Here is a photo of the carpet samples from GAHH that I was trying to post.
From left to right:
#475 Brown - #483 Palomino - #485 Brown/gold - #488 Bamboo
From what I have been told I believe cars with Cognac(sample shown) leather came with either Brown or Cognac carpet.  GAHH has told me that the Cognac carpet has been discontinued but I am awaiting a sample of it that Bud's Benz says they can supply.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1994 E420
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 20:15:27 by rwmastel »
Rodd

2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

n/a

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2003, 12:10:58 »
Are the pictures of the carpet samples "Multi-Loop" or "Square Weave", and also for a 1970 Euro model, what carpet would have come standard ?

Also as far as leather is concerned, was the leather called "Rosel" or just a generic mercedes leather in 1970-1971 ?

pagodapete

• Regular
  • USA, CA, San Diego
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2003, 12:41:33 »
SD280SL

These samples are the multi-loop.  I am not sure about Euro-cars or the Rosel leather question.  Maybe someone else has that info.

Brian Peters
Motoring Investments
Brian Peters
Motoring Investments

Douglas

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2003, 12:49:29 »
It's "Roser" leather. I think that's a German manufacturer.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #018260

John A. Dean

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2003, 13:23:42 »
My car has the same color combination that has been mentioned above and the brown carpet on the left of your photo looks very similar to my original brown carpet.

1969 280SL, manual, MB TEX, green/cognac

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2003, 18:36:24 »
Hi all,

Roser *was* the manufacturer of the leather for our interiors. The company does not exist anymore. At least (some of) the buildings where they were have been bought by Mercedes-Benz. I don't know where they get their leather today.

The carpet samples you show are all wrong. 280ies had "Tufting" carpet, no multi-loop. The later is some more modern 70ies stuff.

I know that Doug had some very little samples of the (almost or complete) correct two-tone cognac carpet. The color tone is 8070. Richard (Madison) has the correct and orignal carpet in his 280 SL.
But unfortunately I do not know where to get that. I will try here in Deutschland as I need to replace the carpet on the rails as well ... :-(

Best,

Achim
(Magdeburg, Germany)
Achim
(Germany)

Douglas

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2003, 20:46:04 »
Achim,

I had those bits & pieces of cognac acrylic boucle carpeting, but I gave them to Richard Madison for some repair work he needed to do!

(I do have some tan square weave left though.)

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #018260

pagodapete

• Regular
  • USA, CA, San Diego
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2003, 14:02:46 »
Hi,
I am going to try to send a photo again.  It turns out that the sample of "Cognac Loop" that Bud's Benz sent is exactly the same as what GAHH calls #485 Brown/Gold loop.  If the photo made it, it is the lighter sample.  The dark one is the #475 Brown loop.  You can also see the samples in the attachment that "RWMASTEL" was so kind to send for me.

Does anyone know if this Brown/Gold loop actually replicates the original Cognac Loop?

It looks like I will have to decide between this Brown loop and the Brown/Gold loop.  Do you have an opinion as to what looks better with the Cognac leather in a White car??

Thanks
PS - Still cannot upload a photo.  "I get a page cannot be displayed" failure notice. :(

Brian Peters
Motoring Investments
Brian Peters
Motoring Investments

tuultyme

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2003, 06:24:57 »
There is a seller on EBay who has carpet kits including Cognac.  Does anyone have any experience with the quality of his material?  He also has leather and MB tex for the interior.

Bruce; Blaugrun(green) 1970 280SL; IL

pagodapete

• Regular
  • USA, CA, San Diego
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2003, 09:49:19 »
What is the seller's name on Ebay?

By the way I think that what most suppliers are calling Cognac is #485 Brown/Gold loop.  That is what I ended up buying.
quote:
Originally posted by tuultyme

There is a seller on EBay who has carpet kits including Cognac.  Does anyone have any experience with the quality of his material?  He also has leather and MB tex for the interior.

Brian Peters
Motoring Investments
Brian Peters
Motoring Investments

tuultyme

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2003, 10:13:55 »
The guy selling the cognac carpet is iboygenius item 2447129069 from Pasadena, CA

pagodapete

• Regular
  • USA, CA, San Diego
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2003, 18:51:36 »
Hi, I purchased some red leather and carpet from him and the quality was fine. If you email me off list I will direct you to my site where you can see photos of the interior.

By the way I am not involved with 1boygenius, just a customer.
quote:
Originally posted by tuultyme

The guy selling the cognac carpet is iboygenius item 2447129069 from Pasadena, CA

Brian Peters
Motoring Investments
Brian Peters
Motoring Investments