Author Topic: Auto Transmission Wiring  (Read 6324 times)

bpossel

Auto Transmission Wiring
« on: August 18, 2008, 07:04:27 »
Thought that I would open a new thread on this...

From what I have read, here is what I think the connections on the auto transmission (idle switch; double acting solinoid; Constant speed soliniod; pressure switches) should be.  I know this has been hashed many times, but maybe we can do a final and accurate drawing for the manual?)

Can someone who knows this wiring please review and update my drawing as needed.  Also tie in the question marks to there proper connections?

Thank you!  Bob  :)

« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 07:05:12 by bpossel »

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Re: Auto Transmission Wiring
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 15:29:10 »
Hi Bob,
awhile ago BMB published this wiring diagram on the German web site. Perhaps it is of some help to you. [I tried to make the pic smaller but could not]:
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

bpossel

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 03:58:46 »
Thanks Alfred!
This should help!
I'll relook at this today and give it another try this evening.
Regards, Bob  :)

quote:
Originally posted by 66andBlue

Hi Bob,
awhile ago BMB published this wiring diagram on the German web site. Perhaps it is of some help to you. [I tried to make the pic smaller but could not]:

glennard

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 14:10:58 »
We're getting closer!  Need a definitive total wiring diagram and a written description of how it's 'sposed' to work.

bpossel

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 05:09:50 »
Hi All!

Update - all fixed, all working perfectly!  :)  :)  :)
Thanks to everyone's help, esp. Naj, Alfred, and other friends on our forum.

In the end, I made this entire situation much more complicated than it needed to be.  With the wiring correctly hooked up, my alternator light in the dash now works again also... :D

In summary, my electrical issue was caused by 2 things: one of the horn connections touching the frame of the car and causing a short; also, I installed one of the kick-down switch wires to the left side trans pressure switch.  This wire should have been installed on the small eyelet terminal on the side of the automatic transmission connection block.

Unless someone has redone the wiring on the auto trans connection block and incorrectly replaced the 3 different size eyelets, you should be able to just connect each wire based on the size of the eyelet to the size of the corresponding screw on the terminal block.  This is what I did.

Where you may run into an issue is with the wire for the constant speed solenoid device.  I dont have this and not sure what size eyelet it may have?

After I get my car going again, shortly...  I will help to udate our manual with some add'l information.

What makes trouble shooting electrical issues a bit harder is the fact that the diagrams that we have dont all show the same color of wires.  While alot of the colors do match, its not 100%.  I guess this is due to the changes that MB made along the way.  It is also due to our aging wires and the fact that the wire insulation colors have faded, and/or replaced by previous owners.

Alfred's diagram below most closely resembles my setup, with the exception of the constant speed solenoid which I dont have.  So my pressure switches are tied together with the single wire that crosses over the trans hump, but they sit there lonely in the end and no wire connects them up to anything else... :( .  I also didnt understand the terminal block on the diagram.  It appears to have 4 connection points.  The terminal block on the side of my auto trans only has 3 screw connection points.  Another mystery?

Thanks again everyone !
Bob  :D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 05:16:20 by bpossel »