Author Topic: Speedometer - why is my odometer "6" skinny?  (Read 23499 times)

scoot

  • Full Member
  • Platinum
  • ******
  • USA, CA, Altadena
  • Posts: 2338
Speedometer - why is my odometer "6" skinny?
« on: August 09, 2008, 16:03:30 »
The odometer and trip odometer stopped working on my car today.  Speedometer still works fine.  Mystery.  Another mystery is why the number "6" is so skinny in the 10,000 mile digit of the odometer.  Other "6's" aren't skinny on the odometer.  See attached photo.  Anyone know why?

thanks
Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

tuultyme

  • Guest
Re: Speedometer - why is my odometer "6" skinny?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 21:09:20 »
Try resetting the trip odormeter to zero and see if they both start working again.  That is what happened on mine.  I do not know if something is wrong but it is has been working correctly for the last two years.

JamesL

  • Full Member
  • Platinum
  • ******
  • United Kingdom, London, London
  • Posts: 3268
Re: Speedometer - why is my odometer "6" skinny?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 22:27:27 »
I read somewhere  - on here - that it was to do with the mechanism that means it will ALL go to 0 when you pass the 100,000 mark

I think it was in one of the "for sale what do you think" threads
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

graphic66

  • Associate Member
  • Gold
  • *****
  • USA, NY, Avon
  • Posts: 705
Re: Speedometer - why is my odometer "6" skinny?
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 23:00:06 »
Probably a cracked gear on the odometer drive. Time for major surgery.

scoot

  • Full Member
  • Platinum
  • ******
  • USA, CA, Altadena
  • Posts: 2338
Re: Speedometer - why is my odometer "6" skinny?
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 23:12:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by tuultyme

Try resetting the trip odormeter to zero and see if they both start working again.  That is what happened on mine.  I do not know if something is wrong but it is has been working correctly for the last two years.

I tried that, I'll try it again.  Still wondering why I have a skinny "6"....   Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Richard Madison

  • Inactive
  • Platinum
  • ******
  • USA, NY, New York
  • Posts: 1179
Re: Speedometer - why is my odometer "6" skinny?
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 05:03:11 »
Not sure why but the "6"'s on the first wheel are all skinny. It may be that the tripping tab of that outside wheel was placed alongside the "6" and there was not enough room for a wide "6".

Here's a skinny "6" on the odometer of a Kilometer speedometer.

Richard M

Download Attachment: IMG_3080temp.jpg
45.36 KB
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

Douglas

  • Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • ******
  • USA, NY, Mahopac
  • Posts: 2729
Re: Speedometer - why is my odometer "6" skinny?
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 09:41:11 »
I can't find the website at the moment, but there's a retired engineer out there who sells the plastic gear that typically breaks. It's not a difficult repair if you're so inclined. (If anyone knows the site, please post a link. If not, I'll try to find it later today.) You could also send it to North Hollywood Speedometer, of course.
Douglas Kim
New York
USA

scoot

  • Full Member
  • Platinum
  • ******
  • USA, CA, Altadena
  • Posts: 2338
Re: Speedometer - why is my odometer "6" skinny?
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 10:25:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by Douglas

I can't find the website at the moment, but there's a retired engineer out there who sells the plastic gear that typically breaks. It's not a difficult repair if you're so inclined. (If anyone knows the site, please post a link. If not, I'll try to find it later today.) You could also send it to North Hollywood Speedometer, of course.

I was assuming that I would be sending it to the place in North Hollywood -- they have fixed many things for us before on other cars.  But if there is someone who sells the culprit broken gear and I can do it myself, that would be great.  So if someone knows of this person, please let me know!   thanks, Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Rolf

  • Guest
Re: Speedometer - why is my odometer "6" skinny?
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 11:00:41 »
The German's with their sense of wit decided to do the skinny 6 so people would ask why.

scoot

  • Full Member
  • Platinum
  • ******
  • USA, CA, Altadena
  • Posts: 2338
Re: Speedometer - why is my odometer "6" skinny?
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 11:26:55 »
quote:
Originally posted by 280SL71

Not sure why but the "6"'s on the first wheel are all skinny. It may be that the tripping tab of that outside wheel was placed alongside the "6" and there was not enough room for a wide "6".

Here's a skinny "6" on the odometer of a Kilometer speedometer.

Richard M

Download Attachment: IMG_3080temp.jpg
45.36 KB

Interesting idea.   But that would mean that people would also have skinny "2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9's".   Anyone else have a skinny left digit on the odometer, or is it JUST SIXES?   thanks  Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

J. Huber

  • Full Member
  • Platinum
  • ******
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
  • Posts: 3033
Re: Speedometer - why is my odometer "6" skinny?
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 12:29:17 »
Scott, we all have the skinny sixes. It has come up before -- I cannot remember why they are like that -- something to do with turning the spindle. And I am almost sure mine has the skinny six in a place other than the 10ks... that digit has not come around since 1988 or so -- and I have noticed it since.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 12:30:55 by J. Huber »
James
63 230SL

scoot

  • Full Member
  • Platinum
  • ******
  • USA, CA, Altadena
  • Posts: 2338
Re: Speedometer - why is my odometer "6" skinny?
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 08:23:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by J. Huber

Scott, we all have the skinny sixes. It has come up before -- I cannot remember why they are like that -- something to do with turning the spindle. And I am almost sure mine has the skinny six in a place other than the 10ks... that digit has not come around since 1988 or so -- and I have noticed it since.

I took a little flashlight and looked as best as I could above and below my skinny 6.  It looks like I have a fat 7 under it.  I wonder why skinny 6 and not skinny other numbers.  I guess I can ignore the mystery...
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

66andBlue

  • Full Member
  • Platinum
  • ******
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
  • Posts: 4627
Re: Speedometer - why is my odometer "6" skinny?
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 19:34:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by scoot
...  I wonder why skinny 6 and not skinny other numbers...

My guess is to distinguish it from an upside down "fat 9" during assembly :D
Here is a skinny 6 as the first digit and a fat 9 as the last.
We should start a contest: who will come up with the next skinny 6 as the second digit? Have your camera ready and you do not need to drive more than 90 miles and a 6 will have turned up.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 21:07:20 by 66andBlue »
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

J. Huber

  • Full Member
  • Platinum
  • ******
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
  • Posts: 3033
Re: Speedometer - why is my odometer "6" skinny?
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 22:06:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by 66andBlue

We should start a contest: who will come up with the next skinny 6 as the second digit? Have your camera ready and you do not need to drive more than 90 miles and a 6 will have turned up.



Am I the only one that just ran out to the garage to check mine?

Well, I should hit the 6 in the second digit place tommorow: I am only 39 KMs away!

Good thing too because the 3rd digit is 579 KMs away, the 4th digit 7979 KMs away, and the 5th digit 41979 KMs away! For bonus points, who can decipher my current mileage??  :?:

At my current annual KM rate the last one will occur in January of 2019!! Be sure to check in here around that time!!  :)

More bonus points for you Math whizzes: what's my average annual mileage??
James
63 230SL

66andBlue

  • Full Member
  • Platinum
  • ******
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
  • Posts: 4627
Re: Speedometer - why is my odometer "6" skinny?
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 22:14:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by J. Huber
... the 4th digit 7979 KMs away, ...

Are you sure ???
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

CraigD

  • Full Member
  • Senior
  • ***
  • USA, WA, Lake Tapps, WA
  • Posts: 189
Re: Speedometer - why is my odometer "6" skinny?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 07:22:42 »
Here are the 2nd and 3rd digits on my km speedo... also skinny 6's!

« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 07:36:49 by CraigD »
Craig
'70 280SL Euro
'55 300S Roadster
'29 Franklin Speedster
'37 Cord S/C Cabriolet (RHD)

scoot

  • Full Member
  • Platinum
  • ******
  • USA, CA, Altadena
  • Posts: 2338
Re: Speedometer - why is my odometer "6" skinny?
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2008, 08:24:00 »
...so are we saying that ALL of the 6's on the odometer are skinny for no known reason?
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

J. Huber

  • Full Member
  • Platinum
  • ******
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
  • Posts: 3033
Re: Speedometer - why is my odometer "6" skinny?
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 08:44:43 »
I think so Alfred! although Math was not my strong suit!

Darn, Craig -- I should have taken a spin last night to snipe you... I may still get the next one -- in about two years!

Scott, there has been a thread on how to repair the mileage counter, it may have had some speculation on why they differ.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 08:49:44 by J. Huber »
James
63 230SL

66andBlue

  • Full Member
  • Platinum
  • ******
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
  • Posts: 4627
Re: Speedometer - why is my odometer "6" skinny?
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2008, 11:35:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by J. Huber
I think so Alfred! although Math was not my strong suit!....

Sorry James, it was a bad attempt to send you on a wild goose chase  ;)
Anyway, your mileage yesterday was 11197.73 miles  :D
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

J. Huber

  • Full Member
  • Platinum
  • ******
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
  • Posts: 3033
Re: Speedometer - why is my odometer "6" skinny?
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 14:39:54 »
Excellent work, Herr 66 and Blue. And extra credit for the conversion (I had to go and do that myself to check your answer!) I wonder if kilometerage is a word? It is now.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 15:45:01 by J. Huber »
James
63 230SL

Mike Hughes

  • Full Member
  • Platinum
  • ******
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
  • Posts: 1491
Re: Speedometer - why is my odometer "6" skinny?
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 17:35:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by scoot

...so are we saying that ALL of the 6's on the odometer are skinny for no known reason?



Essentially....Yes!  Althought I will speculate that since the numbers 6, 8, and 9 look so similar that the skinny 6 may make it a little easier by means of some Teutonic logic to accurately read the correct mileage at a glance!  In any case, they are all like that.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Garry

  • Audit Committee
  • Platinum
  • ******
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton
  • Posts: 4875
  • VP and Audit Committee
Re: Speedometer - why is my odometer "6" skinny?
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2008, 22:06:48 »
Just to add some confusion into the "6" equation, A couple of years ago I brought a second speedo off Ebay that was supposed to be from a W113 and used it to replace worn parts in my own speedo as I restored it.  I just went and had a look at the bits I had left and found that none of the 6's were skinny.  Dont know what it came off now!!!!!!!  My repaired one in the car definately has skinny first 6 dont know about the rest.
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Australia.
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4
2022 Volvo XC40 Full Electric Recharge,

scoot

  • Full Member
  • Platinum
  • ******
  • USA, CA, Altadena
  • Posts: 2338
Re: Speedometer - why is my odometer "6" skinny?
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2008, 22:32:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by Garry

Just to add some confusion into the "6" equation, A couple of years ago I brought a second speedo off Ebay that was supposed to be from a W113 and used it to replace worn parts in my own speedo as I restored it.  I just went and had a look at the bits I had left and found that none of the 6's were skinny.  Dont know what it came off now!!!!!!!  My repaired one in the car definately has skinny first 6 dont know about the rest.

Did your original have all skinny 6's on the odometer, or just on the end?
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Garry

  • Audit Committee
  • Platinum
  • ******
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton
  • Posts: 4875
  • VP and Audit Committee
Re: Speedometer - why is my odometer "6" skinny?
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2008, 22:54:11 »
At the moment only the first 6 (skinny) is showing.  I will have to take it for a drive this weekend to see if the last two are any different. I always thought that they were normal and only the first was skinny. The middle ones are reading 78 so are not going to show in the immediate future. Certainly none at all on the other speedo are skinny
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Australia.
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4
2022 Volvo XC40 Full Electric Recharge,

JamesL

  • Full Member
  • Platinum
  • ******
  • United Kingdom, London, London
  • Posts: 3268
Re: Speedometer - why is my odometer "6" skinny?
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2008, 01:23:36 »
Perhaps it's your car's way of telling you it's running lean...
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather