Author Topic: Ye olde Wok/DryIce on the Fuel Pump Trick  (Read 5356 times)

glennard

Ye olde Wok/DryIce on the Fuel Pump Trick
« on: July 13, 2008, 16:50:44 »
Bob Smith's excellent 'Early(Tall) Electric Fuel Pump' in the Technical Manual talks about the 'Possible problem area'.  This is 'weld rusted' condition of the screws to the body.  I've had this problem and the ensuing busted off screws.  This time I put the pump in a half inch of boiling oil in a Wok.  Warmed it up without overheating the wiring.  Then put dry ice on the head of the screw til it was cold - about a minute.  Screws came out! :)   Win some, lose some.

enochbell

Re: Ye olde Wok/DryIce on the Fuel Pump Trick
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 07:07:52 »
Nice technique.  I assume you used (open) sesame oil in the wok?

Sorry, could not help myself.

g

glennard

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 08:29:58 »
PPP -- Pluperfect Pagoda Persiflage :)   It was a green light on the highway of life- after having busted off the screws on a couple of fuel pumps.  And the pump freed up.

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 05:53:43 »
I'd be intrigued to know two things...

a) how the hell did you get your Pagoda on the hotplate?

b) does your better half know you cooked your FI pump in the cookware..?
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

glennard

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 09:30:48 »
She's in a snit about it--  Hasn't gotten over using stainless mixing bowls to wash parts.   They just never learn---  Guess it will cost me some more $30,000 a GALLON Chanel #5.  aND SHE'S MAD ABOUT  $4 a gallon gas.

George Des

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 15:45:02 »
The real problem with these comes in when you break the screw heads off and are left with the studs and the plates are still attached. I've worked a way to address that that is effective about 95% of the time. Don't recall if Bob included this procedure in the Tech Manual. It works, but you need to be very careful while doing it. If anyone needs the details, let me know.

George Des

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 08:25:27 »
Happy wife = Happy life

My wife and I bought a BMW X3 for her before I began the complete replacement of all the sheetmetal on the exterior of my car. $20,000USD and counting...Have not heard a word.