Author Topic: Speaker Fasteners  (Read 8835 times)

Mark in KS

Speaker Fasteners
« on: March 04, 2003, 17:27:44 »
Once the wood speaker grill is removed, how many fasteners hold down the center speaker? The two screws on mine appear to be forward of the centerline and indicate that the dashboard wood needs to be removed to expose two more screws. I sure don't want to take out the wood to get the speaker out. Can someone confirm my thoughts?

All this is being done to remove the heater controls. I've researched the posts and read part of a BBB. None seem to indicate speaker removal as being a difficult task or even necessary to get the controls out.

n/a

Re: Speaker Fasteners
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2003, 18:11:25 »
The speaker is removed by taking out the two fasteners(in my case screws)closest to the heater controls,
  the two closest to the windshield are attached to straight tabs that slide into the dash itself. Lift the front side of the speaker up slightly
and pull back you should be able to work it out without much trouble at all.
     Good Luck,
             Slugger 66

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2003, 20:42:20 »
Just two screws two remove the wood grille and then the speaker comes out.  At least on my car!

Rodd
1966 230SL Euro
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

Mark in KS

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2003, 21:17:57 »
Thanks guys.  Mine is arranged like Slugger66 described.

n/a

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2003, 21:58:38 »
Hey Mark,
   Glad it worked out! I'm becomming very proficient at the fine art of dissimbling and reassimbling our dashboards.I've done it about a dozen or more times in the past couple of weeks,fitting, testing, cigar lighter shorting out dash lights,glove box,lining up chrome,radio light out,
you name it! Now I have to take it all apart again to install the wood trim.
And the sick thing about it is I don't think it's that bad!!
    It will all be worth it!
           Sluggewr 66

n/a

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2003, 22:11:49 »
Slugger66,
I have still not figured out how to remove the lower MBTex dash pads, as my painter wants to paint the dash with them on. I have A/C, so I am thinking that this somehow has to be removed first, but can not figure out how.

n/a

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2003, 07:53:07 »
SD,
 don't have AC so I can't be much help to you there, my pads are held on by some very visible screws towards the rear of the pads. after removing them the front edge hes to be wiggled out of the chrome strip which is mounted to the face of the dash.I would think that the AC housing can be droped without totally disconnecting it to remove the pad under the glove box.
 The face chrome is held on with tiny screws that are easily removed once the pads are out.If you're painting the dash (as we just did) I recomend
you take out everything if you haven't already,glove box,vent chrome,gages,if you tape it off, it will look like you taped it off!
  Hope this helps, Good Luck
    Slugger 66