Author Topic: Broken heater lever comtrol  (Read 4049 times)

71 pagoda

Broken heater lever comtrol
« on: March 08, 2008, 13:24:05 »
Does anyone know where I can purchase the "Black Cups" that hold the heater levers together. I need the one on the left  on top that has the electrical leads on it. I think they refer to it as the bulb holders. Any hints on how to lube the heater cables.  What a nightmare job. I cant believe that they went thru this when they built the car. There must be an easier way
Thanks

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
Re: Broken heater lever comtrol
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 22:32:41 »
The cables can get very dry and sieze up. The thing to do is to try and remove the wire but leave the outer sheath in place. Get a new cable if it's damaged or use some steel wool to polish the old one. Put some oil on the cable and start feeding it back in while dripping oil on the wire as to insert it back into the outer covering. Work the wire back and forth until it frees up. This should last for quite a while.
I sometimes use some modeling clay and make a small cup around the end of the cable. Then I pour oil into the cup and let it sit until I see oil dripping out the other end. This works pretty well.

The heater tap and the linkage going to it should be coated with high temp grease. You will need to remover the tap and polish it with steel wool so that it slides into the heater core without binding. Replace the rubber O ring with a new one. Get the right one and not just anything that fits - the correct fit and size is important oif you want it to work. Freedom of movement is critical here and it should open and close with your little finger.

Dan Caron's
 SL Barn
benzbarn@ebtech.net
 slbarn.mbz.org
  1 877 661 6061
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

graphic66

Re: Broken heater lever comtrol
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 08:01:17 »
I have had one of these cable lubing tools for years. It is a very handy little device. Especially for motorcycles and bicycles. It will really make a quick and efficient job of lubing cables. It works very well on seized and rusted cables.  http://www.protectall.com/cable_life.htm